Hey everyone :) wanna talk a bit about my "native" religion Islam..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2016, 05:28 PM
RE: Hey everyone :) wanna talk a bit about my "native" religion Islam..
Welcome!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
25-03-2016, 07:52 PM
(25-03-2016 03:17 PM)Ro3bert Wrote:  
(25-03-2016 12:30 PM)Ned777 Wrote:  Islam pretty much preaches that it's the continuation of the two previous Ibrahamic religions, so it teaches basically the same thing about creation as Christianity and Judaism do. And about what is metaphorical what is literal, the thing is, the subject is not really discussed that much so, unlike conversations in christian creationism, nobody has pushed any Islamic scholars with any facts enough for them to explain when to make that distinction (because it's really THE hardest subject to have a conversation about without the other party starting to suspect that you are a "kafer"... and you seriously DON'T want to be labelled that where I come from).

So, I think we're in the default position, which is everything in the Qur'an is being taken as literal.

How do Muslims explain the many divisions of Islamic schools and branches? I looked at Wikipedia but didn't find reasons for the divisions historical or otherwise.
Didn't they talk about that when you were in school?

Yes, they did haha. In Sunni Islam, there are 4 schools. They are explained by the fact that the Qur'an and the Sunna have been interpreted in different ways, and yes this is apparently possible as history, specific events and even the arabic language itself leave room to many ambiguities, and so many scholars have tried to reconcile their interpretations and we end up with the 4 schools we have today.
Even if some of these interpretations are literal, these factors can vary these interpretations greatly, and so we get different literal interpretations.

Of course, when talking about other Islamic dogmas, that's different. Like Christianity, people from one dogma will claim that theirs is the truthful one. Until today, this creates great animosity between Sunni and Shi'a Muslims, for example.
25-03-2016, 08:11 PM
(25-03-2016 01:34 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(25-03-2016 12:30 PM)Ned777 Wrote:  Islam pretty much preaches that it's the continuation of the two previous Ibrahamic religions,

Except it's not. That's the claim. It's been proven false.
Christianity bastardized Judaism, and there is no way the "Father" in Christianity (as a part of a trinity) is Yahweh, as the Jews thought of him.
Similar names are claimed. Very different concepts. The founding original deity in Islam Al Illah, (we know from the Satanic Verses) had 3 divine daughters, (just as the god Sin did).

As I said, it preaches that is the CONTINUATION of these other religions. It DOES say that Allah is the God of all the "people of the book", meaning all followers of the Abrahamic religions. Yes many similar names are claimed, it's probably what Christianity and Islam used to call upon the followers of the previous religions. No proof for that, but sounds very logical. HOWEVER, Islam does state some things clearly as to show that some beliefs that are considered true in these other two religions are actually false. For example, Islam clearly denounces the fact that Jesus could be the son of God or IS God in any sense.

"People of the Book, do not go to excess in your religion, and do not say anything about God except the truth: the Messiah, Jesus, son of Mary, was nothing more than a messenger of God, His word, directed to Mary, a spirit from Him. So believe in God and His messengers and do not speak of a 'Trinity'—stop, that is better for you—God is only one God, He is far above having a son, everything in the heavens and earth belongs to Him and He is the best one to trust."

— Qur'an, sura 4 (An-Nisa), ayat 171[3]

And no more is there talk about a chosen people, as Islam groups all believers in Abrahamic religions as simply "believers".

In Islam, Allah does not have any "daughters", so I really don't know what you mean. Maybe you can explain further. You should also know that the word "Al Ilah" simply means "the god" in Arabic.
03-04-2016, 07:00 AM
Hello and welcome Smile Feel free to get as much off your chest as you want.

FUN FACT: in South Africa the term 'kaffir' (I hate even TYPING that word!) is a very loaded and insulting one...but for different reasons than you think. During the Apartheid era the white minority government appropriated the word from Arabic to use as an awful insult to call the black majority that they oppressed. Today now that Apartheid has been abolished for over two decades 'kaffir' is considered deeply offensive and taboo.

Anyway, South Africa is a secular country with a substantial Muslim population who have (for the most part) learned how to integrate peacefully with non-believers through viewing Islamic teaching as mostly metaphorical rather than literal...and guess what? It works. I know many who swear by evolution as fact and remain Muslim, who generally accept gays (or at least just leave them alone), non-believers and open discourse without turning into angry bullies or close-minded morons.

So it's a surprise to me whenever I meet Arabs, who are the total opposite of the South African Muslims I've come to know (and in some cases love) throughout my life...some of whom view Arab Muslims as primitive and savage.

**No gods, only humanity. There's only ever been us.**