Hey folks, looking for some help..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2012, 12:36 PM
RE: Hey folks, looking for some help..
(18-11-2012 06:39 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  London is a real place, doesn't make Harry Potter stories fact.
Whoa! Back up a bit there, sport! They are not?

Oh, man... Sadcryface2

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-11-2012, 07:34 PM
(18-11-2012 06:39 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(17-11-2012 11:51 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  No, no, no muffs...well, yes, but still no. There are certain parts of the bible that are essentially historically correct. In many places the Bible used events to tell stories, so there is often a kernel of truth in them. Even a lot (not most, but a lot still) of Christians do not believe the details of the story are as important as the message that was being conveyed through the fictional tale. This is not unlike tales of ancient Greco-Roman mythology. Even the modern religious folks recognize that their was a purpose to these myths...whether they are based in fact or fiction is irrelevant. The Bible even occasionally has a good message behind a story, and based on real incidents that most historians will agree happened. The mistake comes from people taking a good story and turning into a god story. Ten thousand years from now religious people may be doing the same thing, looking back at Christianity and think "Wow, that is a good story with a good message. Their God was not real, but the message behind the stories are great...well some of 'em". Unfortunately, we must be very skeptical of what actually happened because the writers of the bible had a reason to make shit up. Therefore, it cannot stand on its own as fact, but it can help support other historical recordings.

Now, I don't know nearly enough about the christian bible to answer your questions as well as say, a hellbound preacher, but I will second the idea of making a thread in the Atheism and Theism forum.

I've rambled too much again...
London is a real place, doesn't make Harry Potter stories fact.
Pretty much any children's book has good messages, doesn't make the stories fact, last time I recalled barn yard animals couldn't talk and MALE COWS (aka Bulls) DO NOT HAVE UTTERS!!!.
And?

18-11-2012, 09:00 PM
(18-11-2012 07:34 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(18-11-2012 06:39 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  London is a real place, doesn't make Harry Potter stories fact.
Pretty much any children's book has good messages, doesn't make the stories fact, last time I recalled barn yard animals couldn't talk and MALE COWS (aka Bulls) DO NOT HAVE UTTERS!!!.
And?
And so the bible is not a history book.

History books are facts or the writers opinion based off the facts.
The bible might have real places perhaps real events that actually occurred but that doesn't make it a history book.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
18-11-2012, 10:58 PM
(18-11-2012 09:00 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(18-11-2012 07:34 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  And?
And so the bible is not a history book.

The bible might have real places perhaps real events that actually occurred but that doesn't make it a history book.
That's what I said Dodgy

18-11-2012, 11:46 PM
(18-11-2012 10:58 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(18-11-2012 09:00 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  And so the bible is not a history book.

That's what I said Dodgy
Are you... SHE ???
18-11-2012, 11:48 PM
Hey folks, looking for some help..
(18-11-2012 11:46 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(18-11-2012 10:58 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  That's what I said Dodgy
Are you... SHE ???

Bowing

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
19-11-2012, 01:12 AM
Oui mon ami!

19-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Yeah, like Erxy said, there are a lot of topics you might wants to visit in the Atheism and Theism forum.

[Image: vjp09.gif]