Hey "freethinkers". Should the U.S. use force against Syria?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2013, 01:38 PM
RE: Hey "freethinkers". Should the U.S. use force against Syria?
(28-04-2013 12:03 PM)Atheist in Westeros Wrote:  Unless it involves white people the world doesn't get involved so don't worry we won't do anything to Syria.

Well, that was a pretty ignorant statement. You two buddies, or what? Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2013, 01:42 PM
(28-04-2013 12:03 PM)Atheist in Westeros Wrote:  Unless it involves white people the world doesn't get involved so don't worry we won't do anything to Syria.

Can't forget about the oil--of course we're going in [/snark].
Find all posts by this user
28-04-2013, 03:21 PM
(28-04-2013 12:45 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  

Syria does involve "white" people, along with the majority of the Middle East.

That distinction won't register on the majority of Americans so what I said still stands.

(28-04-2013 01:38 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  

Well, that was a pretty ignorant statement. You two buddies, or what? Dodgy

I suppose its inaccurate then? Unless there are natural resources involved it better be happening in Europe.

(28-04-2013 01:42 PM)BryanS Wrote:  

Can't forget about the oil--of course we're going in [/snark].

Well unless it will make us money or secure our access I should say. Syria? Sudan? Pfft.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest" - Denis Diderot

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered, religion is answers that may never be questioned"
28-04-2013, 04:00 PM
(28-04-2013 03:21 PM)Atheist in Westeros Wrote:  
(28-04-2013 12:45 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Syria does involve "white" people, along with the majority of the Middle East.

That distinction won't register on the majority of Americans so what I said still stands.

Ah, so argumentum ad populum is a valid argument now?

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
28-04-2013, 04:11 PM
(26-04-2013 12:57 PM)I and I Wrote:  Several months ago it was reported that rebels were threatening to and attempting to get chemical weapons. Then a little later.....a chemical attack. Then the U.S. now is saying that it was the government that is attacking its people. Now for the past few days the U.S. is seriously contemplating on using force in Syria, Even though there is no evidence that the Syrian government has used chemical weapons.

To answer the question in the subject line, I say no.

Not even if he poison gas stories are true.

Nonsense is nonsense, but the history of nonsense is a very important science.
28-04-2013, 04:13 PM
Now I've read down the thread and it looks like the consensus around here is *no*.

Not sure if that's a "freethinker" position as such. Plenty of non-atheists would agree.

Nonsense is nonsense, but the history of nonsense is a very important science.
28-04-2013, 04:31 PM
I think no matter what we do in that conflict we will be blamed for destroying the country, not helping the rebels or selling their assets.

Because of this hate USA for any reason idea I'd rather not participate in favor of war.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
28-04-2013, 10:47 PM
I think they should.
Syria is ruled by a totalitarian government which means the government, among other things, tends to force an ideology and tries to enforce it by means of propaganda, fear and controlling communications. This usually means that self-organized movements by people are extremely hard to take shape therefore the only way by which the government can be overthrown is by means of foreign intervention or a coup d'etat. A coup d'etat seems to be unrealistic since the military is largely loyal to the government. Therefore the only feasible option is an intervention by a foreign force. USA has the strongest military in the world and a good track record of liberation so I'd say US military intervention in Syria is a good idea. A US intervention has one more upside: radical Islamic forces won't be able to take control of the country if the government is overthrown.

BMI Calculator
28-04-2013, 10:53 PM
(28-04-2013 03:21 PM)Atheist in Westeros Wrote:  That distinction won't register on the majority of Americans so what I said still stands.

Since when has the US ruling class given a squirt of piss about what the majority of Americans think?

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
29-04-2013, 03:54 AM
Nop. I wouldn't want it to go over the border, and if the US will get involved- we will have to get invlove as well (or at least we will be a valid target in the eyes of the Syrian, and then we will get invloved any how)