Hey heathens... want your sinful opinions these Christian apologists.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2014, 07:19 AM
Hey heathens... want your sinful opinions these Christian apologists.
Francis Collins - Bachelor's Degree in Chemistry from the University of Virginia / Ph.D. in Physical Chemistry from Yale / M.D. from University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill / one of the leaders of the Human Genome Project / founder of BioLogos

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Collins

Alister McGrath - DPhil in Molecular Biophysics and a Doctorate of Divinity in Theology from Oxford University

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alister_McGrath

Robert Bakker - Ph.D. in Paleontology from Harvard University / one of the world's leading paleontologists / is the one of the "go to" guys in regards to dinosaurs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_T._Bakker

I'm asking because these men are obviously not blatant, outright fools like Hamsammich and WLC, but they claim the same religion as the aforementioned fools.

They are well respected in the science world and the topic of their religion rarely comes into play when they discuss science. I understand that this is probably because all three are either ECs or TEs, but the fact remains that they are Christians.

I have tried to model my Christianity after people such as this because they seem to be able to function socially in an amalgamated world (unlike Retard Boy and Super Dunce).

Is it because they don't shove their Christianity down people's throats? Or, because they believe in REAL science?

Just curious. Why is it that these guys (and myself) are respected and accepted in nearly every group of peoples and their Christian beliefs aren't brought up as a detraction from the work that they do (well... except for me... here on TTA... we have KC's Law, but I think people do that for S&Gs... mostly Dodgy mostly...)

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2014, 07:23 AM
RE: Hey heathens... want your sinful opinions these Christian apologists.
When theists brag about theology degrees to me it is like being an expert in the Star Wars series. What exactly are you an expert in?

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Brian37's post
04-09-2014, 07:25 AM
I'm fine with anyone believing anything as long as they keep it to themselves. Refraining from all the thumping is probably what allows them to function well in the spotlight in a different arena.

Just a guess.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
04-09-2014, 07:26 AM
Elaborate tripe is still elaborate tripe.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
04-09-2014, 07:27 AM
(04-09-2014 07:25 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  I'm fine with anyone believing anything as long as they keep it to themselves. Refraining from all the thumping is probably what allows them to function well in the spotlight in a different arena.

Just a guess.

No no no, we live in a civil society, you cannot silence people. They however have no right to stop us from calling it what it is, superstition and myth.

04-09-2014, 07:32 AM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2014 07:36 AM by Timber1025.)
Accepted - not so sure!? I think there is a whole lot of confirmation bias going on with christians who are scientists. You have to stray pretty far away from the scriptures that the religion is based upon in order to hold evolution to be true. Intellectual dishonesty plays a role too - I mean lets face it, no amount of scientific degrees will lead one to believe in rising from the dead and ascending into a place called heaven!

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
04-09-2014, 07:32 AM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2014 07:39 AM by kingschosen.)
(04-09-2014 07:23 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  When theists brag about theology degrees to me it is like being an expert in the Star Wars series. What exactly are you an expert in?

What does this have to do with anything I asked?

Edit:

In fact, nothing you've said in this topic has addressed the question. All you've written is angsty rants about religion.

[+] 5 users Like kingschosen's post
04-09-2014, 07:35 AM
And for every 3 so called "christian" scientists, there are thousands of others who would not accept or respect their fantastical views about jesus and gawd.

Why do you need a few scientists to make your myth more real to you KC?

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
04-09-2014, 07:37 AM
(04-09-2014 07:32 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Accepted - not so sure!?

Ummm... yes, they are. All three of them are very much accepted and respected in their particular field of research.

Quote:I think there is a whole lot of confirmation bias going on with christians who are scientists. You have to stray pretty far away from the scriptires that the religion is based upon in order to hold evolution to be true.

No. No, you don't. In fact, it's a much straighter path with no loopholes to accept evolution in conjunction with scripture.

Quote:Intellectual dishonesty plays a role too - I mean lets face it, no amount of scientific degrees will lead one to believe in rising from the dead and ascending into a place called heaven!

Point taken.

04-09-2014, 07:39 AM
(04-09-2014 07:32 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Accepted - not so sure!? I think there is a whole lot of confirmation bias going on with christians who are scientists. You have to stray pretty far away from the scriptires that the religion is based upon in order to hold evolution to be true. Intellectual dishonesty plays a role too - I mean lets face it, no amount of scientific degrees will lead one to believe in rising from the dead and ascending into a place called heaven!

Lose the labels when you rightfully talk about confirmation bias. Humans evolutionary flawed perceptions in pattern seeking have always and unfortunately been part of our evolution. It is not something Christianity invented or owns a patent on. That same confirmation bias lead the Egyptians to believe that their good fortune was the result of divine gods favoring them.

Add to that confirmation bias or "selection bias" sample rate error. But other than that I agree with post.