Hey heathens... want your sinful opinions these Christian apologists.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2014, 12:28 PM
RE: Hey heathens... want your sinful opinions these Christian apologists.
Religions adapt to survive as a result of marketing, they have nothing to do with our species evolutionary existence. We invent them as placebos and excuses to to form groups. The problem is in forming those groups we get self centered and confuse our success as being patent owners of all human morality.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2014, 12:29 PM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2014 12:32 PM by Timber1025.)
(04-09-2014 11:32 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(04-09-2014 08:08 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Oh stop, it is called growing up. Do you still believe adult women magically pop out of ribs? Do you really think there is evidence that when you die you'll get 72 virgins? Do you really think the earth is flat?

Strawman much? I would be willing to bet KC believes none of those things. It is possible to be a Christian without being a Biblical literalist, and I would guess that most Christians are not Biblical literalists. I was a Catholic for years, and I never believed that Eve popped out of Adam's rib -- or even that Adam and Eve existed as real people. And the Catholic Church didn't require me to believe those things.

The world is not as black and white as you're painting it. There are intelligent theists.

Yes - how can one determine what can be ignored if your specific religion is based on this book that is the word of god? To be a christian is to accept the word of god. Please explain how being a christian can also give one authority to disregard what your one true god has told you? WTF?

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
Find all posts by this user
04-09-2014, 12:43 PM
(04-09-2014 12:25 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(04-09-2014 11:32 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Strawman much? I would be willing to bet KC believes none of those things. It is possible to be a Christian without being a Biblical literalist, and I would guess that most Christians are not Biblical literalists. I was a Catholic for years, and I never believed that Eve popped out of Adam's rib -- or even that Adam and Eve existed as real people. And the Catholic Church didn't require me to believe those things.

The world is not as black and white as you're painting it. There are intelligent theists.

I was a Catholic too, and?

Quote:It is possible to be a Christian without being a Biblical literalist, and I would guess that most Christians are not Biblical literalists.

Thanks for the newsflash, should I call that into CNN, or do you want to?

No need for such sarcasm. You were slamming KC with arguments implying that he must believe in the nonsense you were quoting simply because he is a theist. If you were aware that not all Christians believe such things, you were doing a good job of hiding it.

Quote:Slight problem here though. Who gets to decide what is meant to be taken literally and what is meant to be metaphorical? Let me guess, out of the billions of Christians you magically found the right interpretation.

I eventually found the interpretation that it's all bullshit, which is why I'm now an atheist. But I can still respect theists, and not act as if they're all idiots.

Quote:Cherry picking is how you have become civil over time and I am glad you are not a bible literalist. But the part you forget is back when those books were written, the masses took that book word for word way more than they do now.

I don't think I can "forget" that, because I don't think it's true. I think pre-Christian Jews were well aware that Genesis (the first 11 chapters, anyway) was a story and not literal fact. Strict Biblical literalism is a relatively recent phenomenon. Sorry, I can't prove that statement (I wasn't there), but perhaps some of our resident Bible scholars can either back me up or correct me. Of course, they weren't there either, but I suspect they have studied such questions enough to have a pretty well-informed opinion.
[+] 4 users Like Grasshopper's post
04-09-2014, 12:43 PM
(04-09-2014 12:29 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  
(04-09-2014 11:32 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Strawman much? I would be willing to bet KC believes none of those things. It is possible to be a Christian without being a Biblical literalist, and I would guess that most Christians are not Biblical literalists. I was a Catholic for years, and I never believed that Eve popped out of Adam's rib -- or even that Adam and Eve existed as real people. And the Catholic Church didn't require me to believe those things.

Yes - how can one determine what can be ignored if your specific religion is based on this book that is the word of god? To be a christian is to accept the word of god. Please explain how being a christian can also give one authority to disregard what your one true god has told you? WTF?

Many, many people do not take the bible literally and still exist happily as Christians.

Not all are narrow and I think that's the point Grasshopper was making.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
04-09-2014, 01:00 PM
I'm done here (TTA), but I just wanted to clear something up before I logged out for good (still have to log out of my tablet at home).

The topic title was a tongue-in-cheek joke. Whenever I ask for opinions from atheists, I always mock the common belief that atheists are sinful heathens. I know better, and in fact, it's a term of endearment.

Maybe I took for granted the amount of people that understood this, but ask anyone who read the title that knows me or has been communicating with me over the past 3 years and they will tell you the same.

Sorry you took it the wrong way... it was actually a compliment to atheists.

Oh well.

C'est la vie.

Off in search of new endeavors.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
04-09-2014, 01:03 PM
Okay bye.
04-09-2014, 01:10 PM
(04-09-2014 01:00 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I'm done here (TTA), but I just wanted to clear something up before I logged out for good (still have to log out of my tablet at home).

The topic title was a tongue-in-cheek joke. Whenever I ask for opinions from atheists, I always mock the common belief that atheists are sinful heathens. I know better, and in fact, it's a term of endearment.

Maybe I took for granted the amount of people that understood this, but ask anyone who read the title that knows me or has been communicating with me over the past 3 years and they will tell you the same.

Oh well.

C'est la vie.

It's not you, it's them.

They're sooo used to jumping on theists they don't stop to consider much else. It's becoming a bit of an issue.

It's sad. You should stick around, if nothing else help them learn.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 9 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
04-09-2014, 01:22 PM
(04-09-2014 01:00 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I'm done here (TTA), but I just wanted to clear something up before I logged out for good (still have to log out of my tablet at home).

Oh well.

C'est la vie.

No offense here. I often call myself a dirty little heathen. Smile

Take care!

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
04-09-2014, 01:25 PM
(04-09-2014 01:10 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  

Oh well.

C'est la vie.

It's not you, it's them.

They're sooo used to jumping on theists they don't stop to consider much else. It's becoming a bit of an issue.

It's sad. You should stick around, if nothing else help them learn.

Its me? Learn? How about the theists consider what they are saying! Hey I understand we all get fed up with certain topics and make snippy comments but come on, what is expected? Making reference to science or scientists in combination with faith is tiresome and has a personal component IMO. If I claim to have seen bigfoot and then reference biologists that believe it exists, it is only to make a point of confirmation and less so to start an innocent discussion.

Not sure what happened to KC but I always liked and respected him, but he has turned into an "angry theist" lately and wants to be babied. Sorry you caught me at a crabby moment that produced a snarky question, but need a semi thick skin to claim to be chosen by god and not recieved some snarky jabs from time to time.

Neil deGrasse Tyson is bewildered why some scientists do believe in god, and so am I. Mind boggling to say the least.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
04-09-2014, 01:41 PM
(04-09-2014 01:00 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  The topic title was a tongue-in-cheek joke. Whenever I ask for opinions from atheists, I always mock the common belief that atheists are sinful heathens. I know better, and in fact, it's a term of endearment.

I knew it was a joke. I just hadn't gotten around to reading all the links and responding.

That being said, if you're going to rage-quit a forum whenever a handful of posters piss you off, you're going to have a bad time.
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post