Hey heathens... want your sinful opinions these Christian apologists.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2014, 07:57 AM
RE: Hey heathens... want your sinful opinions these Christian apologists.
(04-09-2014 01:00 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I'm done here (TTA), but I just wanted to clear something up before I logged out for good (still have to log out of my tablet at home).

The topic title was a tongue-in-cheek joke. Whenever I ask for opinions from atheists, I always mock the common belief that atheists are sinful heathens. I know better, and in fact, it's a term of endearment.

Maybe I took for granted the amount of people that understood this, but ask anyone who read the title that knows me or has been communicating with me over the past 3 years and they will tell you the same.

Sorry you took it the wrong way... it was actually a compliment to atheists.

Oh well.

C'est la vie.

Off in search of new endeavors.

Oh, FFS, grow a pair. Angry

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2014, 08:15 AM
(05-09-2014 07:52 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-09-2014 10:24 AM)Dom Wrote:  What is it with the seeking? There is not even a definition for that. I keep talking about recognition. Are you saying that evolution can happen without organisms reacting to repetitious stimuli?

Actually, yes. What you describe is learning and is not passed on genetically.

Except that recently they have discovered that there are some "learned" things that can be passed on epi-genetically.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/articl...ssed-down/

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
05-09-2014, 11:23 AM
(05-09-2014 08:15 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(05-09-2014 07:52 AM)Chas Wrote:  Actually, yes. What you describe is learning and is not passed on genetically.

Except that recently they have discovered that there are some "learned" things that can be passed on epi-genetically.

I think they're jumping the shark. Drinking Beverage

05-09-2014, 11:42 AM
(05-09-2014 11:23 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-09-2014 08:15 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Except that recently they have discovered that there are some "learned" things that can be passed on epi-genetically.

I think they're jumping the shark. Drinking Beverage

It's not just them. There are a lot of people recently who have written about epigenetics and that it may be the driver of "surges" seen in genetic modifications/adaptations.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
05-09-2014, 12:13 PM
(05-09-2014 11:42 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(05-09-2014 11:23 AM)Chas Wrote:  I think they're jumping the shark. Drinking Beverage

It's not just them. There are a lot of people recently who have written about epigenetics and that it may be the driver of "surges" seen in genetic modifications/adaptations.

Yes, I'm quite sure there is something to it, just not what the hype says.

No actual memories or fears or skills, for instance, since there isn't a credible mechanism.

05-09-2014, 12:25 PM
(05-09-2014 12:13 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-09-2014 11:42 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  It's not just them. There are a lot of people recently who have written about epigenetics and that it may be the driver of "surges" seen in genetic modifications/adaptations.

Yes, I'm quite sure there is something to it, just not what the hype says.

No actual memories or fears or skills, for instance, since there isn't a credible mechanism.

It appears there might be.

http://www.jneurosci.org/content/28/42/10576.short

05-09-2014, 02:33 PM
(05-09-2014 12:25 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(05-09-2014 12:13 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yes, I'm quite sure there is something to it, just not what the hype says.

It appears there might be.

http://www.jneurosci.org/content/28/42/10576.short

Nope. That doesn't speak to the content of memories or fears or skills, just to alteration in formation mechanisms.

05-09-2014, 02:42 PM
(05-09-2014 02:33 PM)Chas Wrote:  Nope. That doesn't speak to the content of memories or fears or skills, just to alteration in formation mechanisms.

Memories and fears; these indeed seem to be sentient attributes. They are also things humans may be unable to perceive in other living things.

But hey, how would I know? I do know neuroscience is cool, though. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
05-09-2014, 06:51 PM
(05-09-2014 02:42 PM)kim Wrote:  
(05-09-2014 02:33 PM)Chas Wrote:  Nope. That doesn't speak to the content of memories or fears or skills, just to alteration in formation mechanisms.

Memories and fears; these indeed seem to be sentient attributes. They are also things humans may be unable to perceive in other living things.

But hey, how would I know? I do know neuroscience is cool, though. Drinking Beverage

Fear appears to be innate. Consider the Russian silver fox experiment. The foxes were bred for less fear (of humans), while some were bred for more.

It worked, it breeds true.

We know that fear or avoidance of specific things is genetic in many animals, however we don't see specific, learned fears being inherited. And memories? Nuh-uh.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
11-09-2014, 07:21 AM
(04-09-2014 07:19 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Alister McGrath - DPhil in Molecular Biophysics and a Doctorate of Divinity in Theology from Oxford University

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alister_McGrath

I'm asking because these men are obviously not blatant, outright fools like Hamsammich and WLC, but they claim the same religion as the aforementioned fools.

They are well respected in the science world and the topic of their religion rarely comes into play when they discuss science. I understand that this is probably because all three are either ECs or TEs, but the fact remains that they are Christians.

I have tried to model my Christianity after people such as this because they seem to be able to function socially in an amalgamated world (unlike Retard Boy and Super Dunce).

Is it because they don't shove their Christianity down people's throats? Or, because they believe in REAL science?

Just curious. Why is it that these guys (and myself) are respected and accepted in nearly every group of peoples and their Christian beliefs aren't brought up as a detraction from the work that they do (well... except for me... here on TTA... we have KC's Law, but I think people do that for S&Gs... mostly Dodgy mostly...)

I've been reading McGrath and turns out there some debates on YouTube with him and Dawkins. (McGrath wrote "The Dawkins Delusion", among other things). He's not exactly an apologist. Which is a good thing. From what I've seen and read so far, he needs someone to make apologies for HIM. Sadcryface
His "Twilight of Atheism" is the biggest pile of crap I've read since Feser's "The Last Superstition". (It's fairly unclear what he's actuallty trying to assert, but I think he's trying to equate the fall of Communism with what he claims is a decline in non-belief.) So when, (and yes he'll be back) Kingsy gets his poop together and comes back, we can have a little chat about this dude.