Hey kids, think twice before telling your devout parents about your atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-06-2012, 07:28 AM
Hey kids, think twice before telling your devout parents about your atheism
I know that Seth has addressed this on various episodes but this really strikes a chord with me, especially every time I hear some kid share their horror story:
http://theunconverted.com/hey-kids-think...r-atheism/

Really thinking about helping put together some sort of charitable organization to provide financial and/or emotional and/or career support for kids that pay the really big price (being thrown out of the home or disowned) for expressing themselves.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like lightninlives's post
12-06-2012, 07:37 AM
RE: Hey kids, think twice before telling your devout parents about your atheism
You know something is horribly wrong with a religion when it makes parents kick their own children out onto the street simply for having a different belief.
And then no doubt in church group when all the moms have gathered for the weekly gossip the other mothers will be in full support. Sickening.

But hey what ya gonna do? Sometimes shit just needs to kept to ones self.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
12-06-2012, 08:26 AM
Actually I like the idea from the link. about having some kind of emotional or/and financial support for kids who suffer from telling their parents. I have thought of it before. After I started the Dublin Community the idea became stronger. BUT something like that is very expensive, and even with people who offer help on a voluntary basis it might be super difficult to keep something like that running.

Just to brainstorm on this. One idea I had is, kind of a meet up for kids, with tea and cookies, where they can simply drop in and talk or ask all questions. Where you can give them some information or educate them on the topic and how to best behave in their situation. I don't even lack the profession because I am a child carer, I just have no clue how to do something like that, plus I don't wanna seem creepy as the woman who has all sorts of kids come to her house all the time. Know what I mean? It would have to be official and approved by authorities.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Leela's post
12-06-2012, 11:44 AM
(12-06-2012 08:26 AM)Leela Wrote:  Actually I like the idea from the link. about having some kind of emotional or/and financial support for kids who suffer from telling their parents. I have thought of it before. After I started the Dublin Community the idea became stronger. BUT something like that is very expensive, and even with people who offer help on a voluntary basis it might be super difficult to keep something like that running.

Just to brainstorm on this. One idea I had is, kind of a meet up for kids, with tea and cookies, where they can simply drop in and talk or ask all questions. Where you can give them some information or educate them on the topic and how to best behave in their situation. I don't even lack the profession because I am a child carer, I just have no clue how to do something like that, plus I don't wanna seem creepy as the woman who has all sorts of kids come to her house all the time. Know what I mean? It would have to be official and approved by authorities.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and that very interesting idea.

I just heard about a subreddit called r/atheisthavens that is basically a place for people to list safe havens for atheists (young or old).

Let me know if you're interesting in being involved in a steering committee of sorts as I try to take this from pipe dream to reality status.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
[+] 1 user Likes lightninlives's post
12-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Too late.

I think the main reason kids, like me, would tell their parents is because it is a drastic change, and ,aybe they want some help through it. Or maybe they thought their parents would understand.... I mean it's their parents!

Had I known what kind of stuff I have to go through, I still probably would have done it.

.... But that's not to say that I don't miss how it was before I told them.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 5 users Like Atothetheist's post
12-06-2012, 03:29 PM
It's a tough decision, I'm probably luckier than most as far at this goes. I don't think I could tell somebody not to tell their parents, but I have a built in resistance to that sort of behavior. I've always been too honest though, privacy isn't that big of a deal to me though, so I don't really manage to have the will to lie to somebody or withhold information.

Atheist safe-havens, sounds really nice. I would go for an atheist community center- meet on Sundays and Saturdays, youth group on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, get tax exemptions, every week have a guest speaker talk about things along the lines of free-thought, questioning everything, and what's new in the world today. Meet after services for debates and open forums. Oh and of course, EVERYONE would be welcome.

The only think I actually like about church is the sense of community.
[+] 1 user Likes TheKetola's post
12-06-2012, 05:25 PM
I kept my personal beliefs silent until just a few weeks ago when I got back from Afghanistan. My parents were shocked that I kept such things to myself despite my telling them that I knew growing up, what the answers and reactions would be by them.
As a child, teen, and even college student, I knew that I should keep any doubts to myself, or researched them on my own, because in some fashion, I was still dependent on my parents and knew their stance on "fallen away christians." I knew that I would not be able to live around them, with them, let alone speak to them if I chose to "leave Christ." So I kept it all to myself and slowly, a few of years after I moved out, I came out to them as an agnostic, albeit leaning atheist. It wasn't nice but there was nothing they could do. They had no power, control, or excuse. That was my best situation to tell them. I hope others are more fortunate.

And yet another interesting topic I am not interested in.
[+] 1 user Likes AmishLatinJew's post
12-06-2012, 07:38 PM
As a lesbian, I've had a lot of experience with coming out. The trick is to know when it is okay to let a person know who you are, or in the case of atheism, what you believe. As with the popular It Gets Better project, there are resources for kids out there, they just have to know where to look. Youtube is...pardon the expression...a godsend. If you know that your parents, grandparents, friends, cousins, teachers, what have you, are uncomfortable with atheism, don't talk to them about it. Find one of us out here in cyber space who has some experience with it if you need an outlet. It's all about not burning bridges while you're young.
[+] 2 users Like aunts1384's post
12-06-2012, 07:55 PM
Don't forget forums like this.
Any support is something when the family turns on you.
Even a complete stranger on a forum can help someone through some rough times.
I teach at a small state college in IL. We're starting an Atheist club this fall.
We want to give a safe place for the kids to go where they can express themselves freely.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 2 users Like Thomas's post
12-06-2012, 08:18 PM
I think a parent who kicks out a minor for being agnostic/atheist should be charged with child abuse.

Your beliefs do not make you a better person, your behavior does.
[+] 5 users Like Debzilla's post