Hey kids, think twice before telling your devout parents about your atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-06-2012, 08:23 PM
RE: Hey kids, think twice before telling your devout parents about your atheism
(12-06-2012 08:18 PM)Debzilla Wrote:  I think a parent who kicks out a minor for being agnostic/atheist should be charged with child abuse.

Likewise then they force the religion down their throats. This link was on the forum some time back. This will make you sick to your stomach.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...OR77tWVxKc

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
12-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Thomas, what the "hell" was that??? Tell me someone has rescued these kids!

Your beliefs do not make you a better person, your behavior does.
12-06-2012, 08:36 PM
Thank you all for such fantastic feedback and insight.

It's only strengthened my resolve to make some tangible and has also given me some ideas on how to go about it.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
[+] 2 users Like lightninlives's post
12-06-2012, 08:52 PM
(12-06-2012 08:29 PM)Debzilla Wrote:  Thomas, what the "hell" was that??? Tell me someone has rescued these kids!
I'm not sure on international law, but if the child is a minor the parents have significant authority over them in the states.
They could be taking them out of country to avoid some US laws, but I don't know? Not an attorney.
I've looked at the ACLU site and could not find anything that they are doing.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
12-06-2012, 09:35 PM
(12-06-2012 08:18 PM)Debzilla Wrote:  I think a parent who kicks out a minor for being agnostic/atheist should be charged with child abuse.
Or at the very least, neglect. A parent can be charged with neglect for not feeding or clothing a child while in the home,but if they kick them out, what then?
12-06-2012, 09:45 PM
(12-06-2012 07:55 PM)Thomas Wrote:  I teach at a small state college in IL. We're starting an Atheist club this fall.
We want to give a safe place for the kids to go where they can express themselves freely.
Hey Thomas,

If you don't mind (completely out of curiosity), which state college do
you teach at in IL? I have lived extensively in Rockford, Loves Park,
Champaign, Normal, Marion, and Carbondale IL. In Nebraska now. Also took many, many trips
into Chicago. I think I have been to the engineering museum 20 times.
Anyways, just curious.

And yet another interesting topic I am not interested in.
13-06-2012, 03:12 AM
I love the "save haven" idea. Maybe we can start something off.
One idea I just had,
most kids have a mobile nowadays and it is even easy to delete history in case parents check.
And often you have an unused sim card at home. So my idea is to actually make yourself available by phone. Like we could set up kind of a list (I would include this list on my ws for the dublin community). With phone numbers of approved people who offer phone support, maybe at specific times/days as most adults are working.
It would cost a normal rate, set by the provider, so we would not charge anything, and no parents would be suspicious. Not suspicious about too high costs or the fact that a free number has been called (what's this number? who have you been calling?.....).

You guys think, that teenagers/kids would use that if provided? Dunno.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
13-06-2012, 03:32 AM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2012 03:42 AM by Atothetheist.)
(13-06-2012 03:12 AM)Leela Wrote:  I love the "save haven" idea. Maybe we can start something off.
One idea I just had,
most kids have a mobile nowadays and it is even easy to delete history in case parents check.
And often you have an unused sim card at home. So my idea is to actually make yourself available by phone. Like we could set up kind of a list (I would include this list on my ws for the dublin community). With phone numbers of approved people who offer phone support, maybe at specific times/days as most adults are working.
It would cost a normal rate, set by the provider, so we would not charge anything, and no parents would be suspicious. Not suspicious about too high costs or the fact that a free number has been called (what's this number? who have you been calling?.....).

You guys think, that teenagers/kids would use that if provided? Dunno.
I would definatly support it. Had I had this type of thing avaliable to me, I would have taken advantage of it. If you need any volenteers to help talk to teenagers, I will be glad to help considering I could give advice and relate to them.

I would go for it!

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
13-06-2012, 06:01 AM
sounds good Atothetheist.
maybe we can skype or chat one of these days to think about how we could organize this and stuff?
Anyone else who wants to jump in > send me a pm and I will try to organize kind of a first "team meeting" haha sounds cool Big Grin

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
13-06-2012, 06:05 AM
(13-06-2012 06:01 AM)Leela Wrote:  sounds good Atothetheist.
maybe we can skype or chat one of these days to think about how we could organize this and stuff?
Anyone else who wants to jump in > send me a pm and I will try to organize kind of a first "team meeting" haha sounds cool Big Grin
Yeah, I am on Summer break So I literally am open twenty four seven, unless I state otherwise.

If you want, I could get you my Skype name and such... I'l send it in a P.M.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.