Hey kids, think twice before telling your devout parents about your atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2012, 08:32 AM
RE: Hey kids, think twice before telling your devout parents about your atheism
Count me in.

(I think kids prefer text to voice these days but phone call support can definitely be an option)

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes lightninlives's post
13-06-2012, 12:26 PM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2012 12:38 PM by Xinoftruden.)
So I've been looking through a lot of threads on the forums and I can't get my head around this. I live in a small backwater city called Stratford, but everyone I know is either an atheist or agnostic. My school is catholic, the majoriity of the students are not. Where are all of the religious people. Why have I never even seen some of the things this thread is talking about.

If I had a nickel for everytime I've been "proven" wrong... I'd have 5 nickels.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
13-06-2012, 02:25 PM
(13-06-2012 12:26 PM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  So I've been looking through a lot of threads on the forums and I can't get my head around this. I live in a small backwater city called Stratford, but everyone I know is either an atheist or agnostic. My school is catholic, the majoriity of the students are not. Where are all of the religious people. Why have I never even seen some of the things this thread is talking about.

1) Consider yourself fortunate
2) You're young. Give it time. The religious folks will make their presence felt in due time.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
13-06-2012, 02:29 PM
(13-06-2012 02:25 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  
(13-06-2012 12:26 PM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  So I've been looking through a lot of threads on the forums and I can't get my head around this. I live in a small backwater city called Stratford, but everyone I know is either an atheist or agnostic. My school is catholic, the majoriity of the students are not. Where are all of the religious people. Why have I never even seen some of the things this thread is talking about.

1) Consider yourself fortunate
2) You're young. Give it time. The religious folks will make their presence felt in due time.
Agreed. You are quite fortunate. I find that I rather like the challenge of answering a believer's questions, in the right forum. If you've ever been to or in a pride march, you know the feeling. It's exhillarating.
[+] 1 user Likes aunts1384's post
13-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Just a little update. 3 people sent me pm's to get involved in this "save haven" project or whatever we wanna call it in the end. If there are still people who wanna join in, just pm me real quick and we will set up a first chat session for some brainstorming.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Leela's post
14-06-2012, 01:26 AM
In Canada there is an organization called PFLAG (Parent for lesbians and gays). It is an excellent model for helping parents help each other and I have seen it change families for the better with some teens I've worked with. It might be worth looking at just to see how they run and connect with each other as a guideline for this topic. Connection, communication and support are the biggest mandates to help.

Not sure how I could help but would like to in someway, even as just a soundboard for ideas.

Just a word of advice, be cautious with laws wherever this would end up (international or local) for dealing with children and youth, there is a lot of red tape to protect children and youth (a good thing), but be careful for liabilities with certain actions.

With a counselling background specifically for children and teens I'd love to help, but I'm not sure what that would look like depending on what is being created.

I love teens! So much vitality and zest! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
14-06-2012, 08:08 AM
Rainbow RE: Hey kids, think twice before telling your devout parents about your atheism
There are many chapters in the US of PFLAG as well, and there are a lot of Unitarian Universalist churches. From what I understand, an organization has to be legally recognized before it can offer advice of any kind, so you might want to ask people who run things like the teen suicide hotline or the Trevor project, who both take phone calls, before getting involved with phones. I think forums are still *okay*, as long as you can find a way to word the mission statement so that it doesn't claim to offer counselling, unless of course it's peer counselling. Then again, I don't know many teens who know themselves well enough to offer counselling. Maybe providing a teen peer counselling forum is the way to go, and provide links to other organizations who are chartered until the movement gets enough following that you can get your own charter. Just something to think about.
14-06-2012, 08:21 AM
(14-06-2012 08:08 AM)aunts1384 Wrote:  There are many chapters in the US of PFLAG as well, and there are a lot of Unitarian Universalist churches. From what I understand, an organization has to be legally recognized before it can offer advice of any kind, so you might want to ask people who run things like the teen suicide hotline or the Trevor project, who both take phone calls, before getting involved with phones. I think forums are still *okay*, as long as you can find a way to word the mission statement so that it doesn't claim to offer counselling, unless of course it's peer counselling. Then again, I don't know many teens who know themselves well enough to offer counselling. Maybe providing a teen peer counselling forum is the way to go, and provide links to other organizations who are chartered until the movement gets enough following that you can get your own charter. Just something to think about.
I can do peer counceling... I have expierence to deal with people my age, even took a course on psychology. For a church activity, and with my parents signed, and dated, permission, I helped out at a local suicide hotline.

Those are all of the qaulificiations I have.

I am not entirely suremon the legal parameters, but I am sure that we can get some type of legal permission, even if not immediatly. I do like you're Ideas though.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
14-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Rainbow RE: Hey kids, think twice before telling your devout parents about your atheism
Just spoke to my sister, who has a minor in grant writing and is a counselor in Idaho. She gave me a few good ideas, and some warnings, for those who are interested. If you are looking to start a hotline, it would be easiest to approach an already established organization and maybe encourage them to branch out. As far as counseling goes, it gets a lot more complicated when proffessionals are involved. She can't even do paperwork on her personal computer because of HIPPA laws here in the US. Using skype would theoretically be possible, if there was a call center in a secure location and the proper licensing was involved. However, Youtube is the biggest loophole. On Youtube you can upload your personal experiences in video format, but keep in mind that anyone can post comments online, including the religious zealots of the world. That being said, there are still numerous posibilities. My mother, who has a master's degree in counseling and fully supports me as an atheist even though she is a Christian, suggests a blog. Blogs are great for those who wish to remain anonymous, and you can link to various youtube channels, other blogs, and other organizations, with their permission, of course. I would be honored to add my video 'testimonial', for lack of a better word. Struggling teens would be able to leave comments and perhaps link to other teens who are going through the same thing, without getting into messy legalities. The main thing is, we have to cover our asses because people like to sue people for spilling hot coffee in their laps. Hope this helps.
14-06-2012, 10:45 AM
(14-06-2012 10:39 AM)aunts1384 Wrote:  Just spoke to my sister, who has a minor in grant writing and is a counselor in Idaho. She gave me a few good ideas, and some warnings, for those who are interested. If you are looking to start a hotline, it would be easiest to approach an already established organization and maybe encourage them to branch out. As far as counseling goes, it gets a lot more complicated when proffessionals are involved. She can't even do paperwork on her personal computer because of HIPPA laws here in the US. Using skype would theoretically be possible, if there was a call center in a secure location and the proper licensing was involved. However, Youtube is the biggest loophole. On Youtube you can upload your personal experiences in video format, but keep in mind that anyone can post comments online, including the religious zealots of the world. That being said, there are still numerous posibilities. My mother, who has a master's degree in counseling and fully supports me as an atheist even though she is a Christian, suggests a blog. Blogs are great for those who wish to remain anonymous, and you can link to various youtube channels, other blogs, and other organizations, with their permission, of course. I would be honored to add my video 'testimonial', for lack of a better word. Struggling teens would be able to leave comments and perhaps link to other teens who are going through the same thing, without getting into messy legalities. The main thing is, we have to cover our asses because people like to sue people for spilling hot coffee in their laps. Hope this helps.
We are planning on having a skype meeting for all those who are interested in helping with us, why not join?

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.