Hey kids, think twice before telling your devout parents about your atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2012, 10:53 AM
RE: Hey kids, think twice before telling your devout parents about your atheism
(14-06-2012 10:45 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(14-06-2012 10:39 AM)aunts1384 Wrote:  Just spoke to my sister, who has a minor in grant writing and is a counselor in Idaho. She gave me a few good ideas, and some warnings, for those who are interested. If you are looking to start a hotline, it would be easiest to approach an already established organization and maybe encourage them to branch out. As far as counseling goes, it gets a lot more complicated when proffessionals are involved. She can't even do paperwork on her personal computer because of HIPPA laws here in the US. Using skype would theoretically be possible, if there was a call center in a secure location and the proper licensing was involved. However, Youtube is the biggest loophole. On Youtube you can upload your personal experiences in video format, but keep in mind that anyone can post comments online, including the religious zealots of the world. That being said, there are still numerous posibilities. My mother, who has a master's degree in counseling and fully supports me as an atheist even though she is a Christian, suggests a blog. Blogs are great for those who wish to remain anonymous, and you can link to various youtube channels, other blogs, and other organizations, with their permission, of course. I would be honored to add my video 'testimonial', for lack of a better word. Struggling teens would be able to leave comments and perhaps link to other teens who are going through the same thing, without getting into messy legalities. The main thing is, we have to cover our asses because people like to sue people for spilling hot coffee in their laps. Hope this helps.
We are planning on having a skype meeting for all those who are interested in helping with us, why not join?
I would love to join, as long as you don't mind seeing this face, lol. I'm not too familiar with skype, though. I have a membership. Tell me what I should do and I'll do it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-06-2012, 11:00 AM
(14-06-2012 10:53 AM)aunts1384 Wrote:  
(14-06-2012 10:45 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  We are planning on having a skype meeting for all those who are interested in helping with us, why not join?
I would love to join, as long as you don't mind seeing this face, lol. I'm not too familiar with skype, though. I have a membership. Tell me what I should do and I'll do it.
PM Leela your name... Also if you want to chat with me, and we can go over some stuff PM me your skype name and I will connect with you.

Also tell her your timezone.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
14-06-2012, 11:01 AM
(14-06-2012 10:39 AM)aunts1384 Wrote:  Just spoke to my sister, who has a minor in grant writing and is a counselor in Idaho. She gave me a few good ideas, and some warnings, for those who are interested. If you are looking to start a hotline, it would be easiest to approach an already established organization and maybe encourage them to branch out. As far as counseling goes, it gets a lot more complicated when proffessionals are involved. She can't even do paperwork on her personal computer because of HIPPA laws here in the US. Using skype would theoretically be possible, if there was a call center in a secure location and the proper licensing was involved. However, Youtube is the biggest loophole. On Youtube you can upload your personal experiences in video format, but keep in mind that anyone can post comments online, including the religious zealots of the world. That being said, there are still numerous posibilities. My mother, who has a master's degree in counseling and fully supports me as an atheist even though she is a Christian, suggests a blog. Blogs are great for those who wish to remain anonymous, and you can link to various youtube channels, other blogs, and other organizations, with their permission, of course. I would be honored to add my video 'testimonial', for lack of a better word. Struggling teens would be able to leave comments and perhaps link to other teens who are going through the same thing, without getting into messy legalities. The main thing is, we have to cover our asses because people like to sue people for spilling hot coffee in their laps. Hope this helps.
I think that the blog/website route might be the smart route initially. If there's some traction and some resources/donors lined up, then we can look to take the next logical steps to expand.

I have a solid server available and can probably throw up a basic site with blog capabilities within 48 hours or so. Just keep me posted.

FYI - http://www.atheistsafehaven.com is available. I can register it and have it up and running in a couple of days.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
[+] 1 user Likes lightninlives's post
14-06-2012, 11:03 AM
(14-06-2012 11:01 AM)lightninlives Wrote:  
I think that the blog/website route might be the smart route initially. If there's some traction and some resources/donors lined up, then we can look to take the next logical steps to expand.

I have a solid server available and can probably throw up a basic site with blog capabilities within 48 hours or so. Just keep me posted.

FYI - http://www.atheistsafehaven.com is available. I can register it and have it up and running in a couple of days.
I agree... A blog would do well, along with a youtube channel.... Something to post videos of our testomonies as well, I would set it up,but that might be Leela's call because she started this thing.

[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
14-06-2012, 01:49 PM
I like the idead of a blog tied with a youtube channel. I know I am also good with some video editing software as I know a few people on here are as well. For the legal reasons mentioned above, this is probably our best option. Especially if we all have our independent strengths to contribute i.e. Website design, writing, video and sound editing, etc. This would be good.

And yet another interesting topic I am not interested in.
14-06-2012, 01:52 PM
How many posters interested in this are youth? I think it's great to have this very youth-led, it might help others feel understood a bit more.
14-06-2012, 02:02 PM
(14-06-2012 01:52 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  How many posters interested in this are youth? I think it's great to have this very youth-led, it might help others feel understood a bit more.
I ama youth.

14-06-2012, 09:13 PM
This is something that's been eating at me for a while (hence this thread) so I'm pretty sure I'll be moving forward with something formal, and I'm immensely thankful that so many others are interested in doing the same.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
15-06-2012, 08:11 AM
ok, 5 people pm'ed me. for the project
I think IRC will be easier because I know that one of you guys doesn't have skype. will try and find a good time and let you guys know

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-06-2012, 09:49 AM
Wondering if we could have this project sponsored by Atheist Ireland. They could help us with funding, maybe for a dedicated phone line, and it would kind of "legitimise" the project. As far as I know, they have been planning something like this and never seem to be able to get it off the ground.

Also, another idea would be to have a skype account, named something like: AtheistSupportNetwork, to which a number of us have the password. This could allow kids who can't afford to call, or don't want their parents knowing they're calling, or don't trust us well enough to use their own phone, to simply add us on Skype and ring anonymously and for free from anywhere around the world.

If we wanted to take things further, we could then put these kids in touch with atheists in their area, if they want something more personal.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
[+] 1 user Likes Smooshmonster's post