Hey new here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2017, 03:59 PM
Hey new here
Hello,

What a wonderful site to be apart of. I joined to become more knowledgeable on various topics dealing with religion and atheism. I was raised in the church since I was a newborn (Baptist) and followed blindly until a few years ago. Everyone knows that there are very few open African American atheists and we are looked down upon for being that way our own family/community, so a lot of us remain closeted. While I'm starting to be a little more outspoken about religion in front of my family I don't think they take me seriously, they even ignore what I say at times. So I'm going to show them how serious I am and this site WILL help me!

BTW
I'm male and I'm 26y/o. I apologize for some of the grammar mistakes as well, I'm a a work in progress.

Thanks everyone!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like part1of2's post
06-12-2017, 04:13 PM
RE: Hey new here
hi there!

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: dickens_1807527a.jpg]
06-12-2017, 05:04 PM
Howdy.

06-12-2017, 05:09 PM
Welcome to TTA! Shy

06-12-2017, 05:10 PM
Welcome aboard. Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
06-12-2017, 05:23 PM
(06-12-2017 03:59 PM)part1of2 Wrote:  Hello,

What a wonderful site to be apart of. I joined to become more knowledgeable on various topics dealing with religion and atheism. I was raised in the church since I was a newborn (Baptist) and followed blindly until a few years ago. Everyone knows that there are very few open African American atheists and we are looked down upon for being that way our own family/community, so a lot of us remain closeted. While I'm starting to be a little more outspoken about religion in front of my family I don't think they take me seriously, they even ignore what I say at times. So I'm going to show them how serious I am and this site WILL help me!

BTW
I'm male and I'm 26y/o. I apologize for some of the grammar mistakes as well, I'm a a work in progress.

Thanks everyone!

BLACK ATHEISTS? What is this world coming to? Oh yea, sanity. Smile

I don't know how old you are but I started seeking out other atheists back in 2001, and one of the first atheists I ran into began, a now defunct website Atheist Network with his friend called Jake. Reginald Finley then went on to start his own website "Infidel Guy" which had for a brief period a 24/7 radio feed where members could post their own radio shows, and he had his own too. Infidel Guy also appeared on the ABC show "Wife Swap".

Reggie was nice enough to let me post my poetry, now at the website in the link in my sig. The economy tanked and he couldn't afford to keep up the website.

So there are plenty of African American atheists. I am white myself, but trust me, atheists exist in all skin tones, and live all over the world in every nation and have left every religion you can think of.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
06-12-2017, 05:26 PM
Welcome.

First thing I thought of when I saw your name

[Image: Thing12.png]

Big Grin

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
06-12-2017, 06:40 PM
Welcome!
06-12-2017, 06:57 PM
Welcome to the forum.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
06-12-2017, 07:55 PM
(06-12-2017 03:59 PM)part1of2 Wrote:  Everyone knows that there are very few open African American atheists and we are looked down upon for being that way our own family/community, so a lot of us remain closeted.

Actually, I didn't know that, but now I do! Welcome to TTA. I hope you can find interesting conversation here. Smile

Oh, and I love your username.