Hey remember that 12 year old black kid that got killed by white cops?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2015, 02:17 PM
RE: Hey remember that 12 year old black kid that got killed by white cops?
But that's a generalization, isn't it? They are not all sociopaths. And, whether or not cops are generally good or bad is irrelevant tothis situation. Each case has to stand on its own merit.

I'm not a criminal defense lawyer, so I certainly don't have your perspective. I have no problem believing many cops have an "us vs them" mentality that leads to a lot of the violence we've seen the past 18 months (and those are just recent cases with video ). But, they still deserve the same benefit of the doubt that we are supposed to afford all suspects. And, bad acts by some does not mean no shooting is legitimate, even if it turns out it was a 12 year old unarmed kid.

I'm still inclined to think this was a horrific, tragic accident. I can't believe anyone wants to shoot an unarmed kid.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-10-2015, 02:21 PM
Sociopaths and psychopaths actually tend to be more reliable in such situations. It's those normal people who get all emotional and let their amygdala take over.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
15-10-2015, 02:45 PM
Oh, and, onlinebiker, I hope you weren't pointed my direction when you made you your, "Know nothing about guns," comment. I might know a little bit. I went to work for some custom rifle builders in 1962 and I came to know Parker Ackley, Vernon Speer, and several other of the big names quite well. In fact, I just cut a chamber for a 6.5-'06 Ackley Improved with some chamber reamers that once belonged to P.O. Ackley. I can't count the number of guns I've built from scratch out of a piece of chrome Moly steel and I've built a few out of 416 stainless too. I've taught shooting handguns, rifles, and full auto .50 cal and 7.62 in the Army and I've taught shooting at the police academy. I've coached one of the Army sniper teams. [I needed a mental health break when I retired from law and a friend of mine was a sniper team coach and invited me to help out. It takes a hell of a shooter to earn my respect as a rifleman and the only people who have done it lately are those snipers.] I teach NRA pistol and rifle and the Colorado concealed carry course. I don't compete anymore but I still shoot approx. 200 rounds of centerfire rifle a week at my gun club and I shoot about 250 rounds a week of .357 mag., .40 S & W, .44 Mag., and ,45 ACP a week just to keep in tune.

As I type this, I have a piece of .338" [1-10 twist] barrel steel chucked up in my lathe and I have no idea what kind of wildcat rifle it will become. Many of my best rifles started life without a plan like this. However, we will begin to know in a couple days when I start sketching a chamber reamer of some sort.

Nevertheless, I know a little bit about guns, generally more than most cops and hobby shooters.. I even got into a little trouble at the Police Academy once when I tried to take the students into a little ballistic physics. I was quickly stopped by the powers that be because it was "way over their heads." I have since given up all teaching because I am an arrogant prick and I can't stand teaching basics to boneheads. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Black Eagle's post
15-10-2015, 02:47 PM
(15-10-2015 02:45 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  Oh, and, onlinebiker, I hope you weren't pointed my direction when you made you your, "Know nothing about guns," comment. I might know a little bit. I went to work for some custom rifle builders in 1962 and I came to know Parker Ackley, Vernon Speer, and several other of the big names quite well. In fact, I just cut a chamber for a 6.5-'06 Ackley Improved with some chamber reamers that once belonged to P.O. Ackley. I can't count the number of guns I've built from scratch out of a piece of chrome Moly steel and I've built a few out of 416 stainless too. I've taught shooting handguns, rifles, and full auto .50 cal and 7.62 in the Army and I've taught shooting at the police academy. I've coached one of the Army sniper teams. [I needed a mental health break when I retired from law and a friend of mine was a sniper team coach and invited me to help out. It takes a hell of a shooter to earn my respect as a rifleman and the only people who have done it lately are those snipers.] I teach NRA pistol and rifle and the Colorado concealed carry course. I don't compete anymore but I still shoot approx. 200 rounds of centerfire rifle a week at my gun club and I shoot about 250 rounds a week of .357 mag., .40 S & W, .44 Mag., and ,45 ACP a week just to keep in tune.

As I type this, I have a piece of .338" [1-10 twist] barrel steel chucked up in my lathe and I have no idea what kind of wildcat rifle it will become. Many of my best rifles started life without a plan like this. However, we will begin to know in a couple days when I start sketching a chamber reamer of some sort.

Nevertheless, I know a little bit about guns, generally more than most cops and hobby shooters.. I even got into a little trouble at the Police Academy once when I tried to take the students into a little ballistic physics. I was quickly stopped by the powers that be because it was "way over their heads." I have since given up all teaching because I am an arrogant prick and I can't stand teaching basics to boneheads. Big Grin

Nope... we're good there...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
15-10-2015, 02:56 PM
(15-10-2015 01:42 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  It's not just my time as a criminal defense lawyer that has turned me against cops. I have also defended a lot of cops in criminal cases and I can tell you that cops have as many criminals in their profession as do lawyers and the general public. I always enjoyed defending cops because they can convince themselves that they are the good guys even when there is a truckload of evidence telling them that they are the bad guys. I had a couple of psychiatrists who worked for me regularly on cop cases. Cops were hard to represent because they tend to be more narcissistic than even lawyers and doctors. Among other things, when they are accused of something, their almost universal response is to react with extreme anger even when there is a boatload of evidence against them. They do not think rationally and it takes some serious psychiatric power to bring them to the rational world even for the short term.

You do realize you've just self-diagnosed your bias???

When you have to deal with bad cops all day -- it'd be easy to get that.

My experience has been more positive. I've only seen one example of really excessive police force used ----

And it was against me..... I got handcuffed, tripped up, and got my face ground into the pavement.....

Did I deserve it??? Not really -- it was a young, overexcited cop....

Would he have done it, if I wasn't being an idiot????

Nope...He wouldn't have noticed me......

An older, wiser cop came along and straightened us both out..... I didn't even think about pressing charges......

Sometimes, shit does just happen..

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
15-10-2015, 03:51 PM (This post was last modified: 15-10-2015 04:10 PM by GirlyMan.)
(15-10-2015 12:32 PM)BnW Wrote:  I rewatched the video of the Tamir Rice shooting. I have the same reaction I had the first time I saw it: I can't tell a damn thing from it. I do question the "2 seconds" comments because the video was time compressed. It wasn't 2 seconds, but it certainly wasn't an extended period of time.

I don't know what you mean by "time compressed". Looks to me like it was recorded at 2 frames per second. I count 8 frames between the cop car enters the scene and kid getting shot. That would be 4 seconds. I count 2 or 3 frames from the time the car stops to the kid drops. So under 2 seconds to comply, I'm a grown ass man whose had his share of encounters with popo and my initial reaction would be to be totally confused and it would take me more than 2 seconds to even process the order. Kid was a deer in the headlights. Contrast that with the Michigan popo who were willing to give drunk old man with a gun like 10 minutes to comply.

#sigh
15-10-2015, 04:29 PM
IMO if one is seeking excuses for the murder of a 12 year old child, one is in the wrong.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
15-10-2015, 04:34 PM
(15-10-2015 04:29 PM)Banjo Wrote:  IMO if one is seeking excuses for the murder of a 12 year old child, one is in the wrong.
But that is a loaded statement. Has the killing of the 12 year old been determined to be murder?
15-10-2015, 04:36 PM
Under those circumstances, yes, absolutely!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
15-10-2015, 04:45 PM
(15-10-2015 04:29 PM)Banjo Wrote:  IMO if one is seeking excuses for the murder of a 12 year old child, one is in the wrong.

(15-10-2015 04:36 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Under those circumstances, yes, absolutely!

But the problem is that you have already made up your opinion. It's murder.
Then you only view the defence statements as "excuses".

It's not a "innocent until proven guilty" approach. It's a "Guilty, now don't bother presenting any excuses to me, 'cause you'll only make it worse" approach.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post