Hey there

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2016, 12:56 AM
Hey there
Hey everybody, I'm Troy. I'm 24-years-old and reside in the 'bible belt' (to name a place: a small town in Virginia). I've been an atheist since 2008. I like medium rare ribeyes, MMA, caffeine and alone time.

Haven't been on a forum in forever. I was a member of a different atheist forum way back in 2010, but I can't remember the name of it or any of the people there, which is unfortunate, because I met some great people.

I'm in a long distance relationship. My girlfriend lives in Alabama. Her mom, who is otherwise a great person, thinks anybody who's an atheist might as well be the worst person in the world. When my girlfriend told her mom about me, her mom said, "Well, he better not be an atheist... I'd rather you date a serial killer than an atheist". Sheesh. Anyway, in regards to that, long story short, my girlfriend begged me not to tell her mom that I was an atheist. The conversation was never brought up, for a while. However, back in July during a visit, her mom -- out of the blue -- asked me if I believed in god. I immediately lied about it and told her I did, for the sake of my girlfriend and for avoiding a useless conflict. Since then, the topic was never brought up. Her mom isn't even extremely religious... just, uh, bigoted/prejudiced in so many ways. I guess I'm a liar. But the inane conflict that would've arisen wouldn't have been worth it.

I'm not even sure if what I'm writing is readable at the moment. It's nearly 2am here and I've been up since 7am the previous day.

I'm in college right now. After poor choices in the fall of 2009, I returned to a local community college in 2014. Long-term goal? I want to be a physical therapist. Realistically speaking, my math is so deficient that, with all the science classes I must take, I doubt I'll achieve that goal. I'll work like crazy towards it, but whatever.

I have a lot of aspirations in life, but more than anything? I just want to live a stable, active life and be happy doing it. I believe in being nice to everybody around me, even if it's hard to do sometimes (with the attitudes of encountered strangers).

Anyway, enough of the yammerin'. Glad to be here.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-01-2016, 01:01 AM
RE: Hey there
Welcome! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
14-01-2016, 01:02 AM
Welcome to TTA.

So while sleep deprived, you decided to join us.

Yup. You'll fit in nicely.

14-01-2016, 01:10 AM
Welcome Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
14-01-2016, 01:37 AM
G'day mate.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
14-01-2016, 06:45 AM
(14-01-2016 12:56 AM)UndauntedToast Wrote:  When my girlfriend told her mom about me, her mom said, "Well, he better not be an atheist... I'd rather you date a serial killer than an atheist".

[Image: 1446722726316681284.jpg]

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
14-01-2016, 06:54 AM
Welcome.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
14-01-2016, 07:28 AM
Welcome aboard!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
14-01-2016, 08:15 AM
Welcome!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
14-01-2016, 08:23 AM
Welcome. It's absurd how some people care so much that atheists don't believe what they do. I hope if you and your girlfriend move in together she moves your way.