Heya

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-08-2012, 02:12 PM
Heya
I'm a relatively new listener of The Thinking Atheist (2 or 3 months), but I've gone a ways back in the archives and I'm loving the show. I first came across TTA via reddit, where someone posted a link to Afterlife (which made the top spot on r/Atheism.)

While not entirely an atheist; I have renounced my faith, and I'm currently trying to figure out things for myself.

I was raised a Christian, but renounced that belief at age 17 (currently 20.) After which I went on a "soul search" if you will, to try and see what fit. I've tried almost everything. From New Age to Wiccan to Satanist, I dabbled a bit into virtually every type of mainstream religion. I came to the conclusion in the summer of 2011 that religion wasn't right for me; that no one system of belief worked. This is what lead me down the path I'm on today.

As stated, I can't completely call myself an athiest at this point, but more of an agnostic if you will. I can't help but feel there's something else out there (which I'm sure probably traces to the 17-18 years of indoctrination I experienced), however, I feel that religion, dogma, belief systems, and organized groups can't really define it, and in most cases, are more harmful than beneficial. I can say though, I deny the idea of an omnipresent, all-knowing being, and in general, deny intelligent design as well. Whatever the case, I keep an open mind.

I look forward to becoming active here in the community, in hopes of meeting new people with similar ideologies (living in the Bible Belt, it's kind of hard to find that locally) and expanding my ideas, views, and beliefs.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Lightning's post
05-08-2012, 03:17 PM
RE: Heya
Nice to meet you. Smile I'm from the middle of the Bible Belt as well; I don't feel so alone now!

"Leave the atom alone."
-E.Y. Harburgh
Find all posts by this user
05-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Welcome to TTA!

[Image: vjp09.gif]
05-08-2012, 03:25 PM
Welcome Smile
05-08-2012, 03:38 PM
Heya
Greetings and satanic salutations.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
05-08-2012, 03:54 PM
Thanks y'all. :3
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-08-2012, 04:53 PM
(05-08-2012 02:12 PM)Lightning Wrote:  I'm a relatively new listener of The Thinking Atheist (2 or 3 months), but I've gone a ways back in the archives and I'm loving the show. I first came across TTA via reddit, where someone posted a link to Afterlife (which made the top spot on r/Atheism.)

While not entirely an atheist; I have renounced my faith, and I'm currently trying to figure out things for myself.

I was raised a Christian, but renounced that belief at age 17 (currently 20.) After which I went on a "soul search" if you will, to try and see what fit. I've tried almost everything. From New Age to Wiccan to Satanist, I dabbled a bit into virtually every type of mainstream religion. I came to the conclusion in the summer of 2011 that religion wasn't right for me; that no one system of belief worked. This is what lead me down the path I'm on today.

As stated, I can't completely call myself an athiest at this point, but more of an agnostic if you will. I can't help but feel there's something else out there (which I'm sure probably traces to the 17-18 years of indoctrination I experienced), however, I feel that religion, dogma, belief systems, and organized groups can't really define it, and in most cases, are more harmful than beneficial. I can say though, I deny the idea of an omnipresent, all-knowing being, and in general, deny intelligent design as well. Whatever the case, I keep an open mind.

I look forward to becoming active here in the community, in hopes of meeting new people with similar ideologies (living in the Bible Belt, it's kind of hard to find that locally) and expanding my ideas, views, and beliefs.

At any time, join our conversations Skype, you'll find things out in no time.

The picture of the account is the same as here. Also, if you don't have Skype, come here to download it. Big Grin Hope you come. Here.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
06-08-2012, 01:41 AM
Welcome aboard, enjoy your stay. Smile

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
06-08-2012, 04:43 AM
If you are still searching (we are all searching for something) maybe direct your attention to the sciencey-stuff - plenty of threads on this site for this - to get some answers.

The natural is so much more fulfilling than the supernatural.

Welcome and have fun.

10-08-2012, 01:52 AM
Hi there! I'm also a newbie here. I'm sure I'll learn more and enjoy browsing in this site.
[+] 1 user Likes margaretB's post