Heyllo

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2016, 02:32 PM
Heyllo
So, hi guys! I've been an atheist now for a little over 2 years now and haven't looked back. I still struggle with some of the catholic values I had been raised with, but it's a work in progress.

I have a question for others who were raised with the christian faith. Before I left belief in magical lines of thinking, I dabbled around in witchcraft for awhile Evil_monster (Oh! So Scary! Laughat ). Did anyone else look around in witchcraft, paganism, polytheism, spirituality, or any other religions before ditching the beliefs for reason? I'm just curious if anyone else used a stepping stone for their atheism.

But I hope you are having an awesome day, or night!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes KitCat's post
09-10-2016, 02:50 PM
RE: Heyllo
Welcome! I was a Catholic, I dabbled in witchcraft at the same time, It was during high school (my godmother is a witch, so that's why I got interested in that sort of thing.) I did a few love spells before I got bored of it--I didn't turn anyone into a frog or anything Wink In college I became a pretty devout Christian and was that way for several years, then started having doubts and became agnostic. After researching a lot of the claims made by Christianity, I came to the conclusion that all of it is bs and therefore, left the faith. I consider myself an atheist, however, I do a lot of yoga and consider it to be a "spiritual" practice *for me.* I would like to add--yoga is not a religion. I also use the word "spiritual" loosely. I use it as a time to connect with myself, relax, ponder shit, unwind, and workout.
09-10-2016, 02:51 PM
Hi, KitCat! Welcome.

I received infant baptism in the United Church of Canada, but I never actually believed any of it and had parents who themselves weren't overtly religious. I did go through a number of alternate-spirituality phases on the way to atheism, including occult dabbling and an interest in polytheistic religions.

Overall, the biggest change was when I decided to get better at critical thinking. At the time I was interested in Ásatrú, the modern-day reconstruction of old Norse beliefs. When I realized that I wouldn't testify in a court of law that the Norse gods were real, it was game over and I shifted from agnostic theist to agnostic atheist in a fraction of a second.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2016, 03:00 PM
Hi! I was a catholic and did all the witchcraft thing. Welcome to the forum.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
09-10-2016, 03:42 PM
Welcome.

I looked on old Norse religions, though it was done for fun of getting to know new things not for searching better gods for worship.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
09-10-2016, 04:15 PM
Welcome!
09-10-2016, 06:41 PM
Welcome! "Defected" (the RCC's term for it) Catholic, as well. Interesting, if you look, what sort of regimes use the word "defect" when a person doesn't drink the kool-aid any more. Smile
09-10-2016, 07:08 PM
Welcome to the forum.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
09-10-2016, 09:42 PM
jennybee,
Thank you! And that's pretty cool. I always wondered what it would be like to have a grandparent who practiced witch craft going up. I used to do a lot of yoga, I've been meaning to get back into it again. It's a great way to unwind. The warrior poses and the crow have been my favorites so far. Do you have any favorites?

Astreja,
Thank you! That's awesome. I never looked religions or beliefs in that way before. That's a great way to look at it! When I was trying out witchcraft, I would try out different practices and set up tests. They all flunked beautifully and that's when I realized it wasn't any more real than Christianity.

Marozz,
Thank you! That's pretty cool.

Szuchow,
Thank you!

That's pretty cool. I know quite a few people who follow the Norse religions. When I was practicing witchcraft, I didn't look at gods or goddesses as "spirits" to follow, just a "guide" to help people out in their life journey. I've always enjoyed learning about mythology too. Do you have any favorite gods or goddesses?

Pablo,
Thank you!

Fireball,
Thank you! And I have always thought that interesting too. I've seen it as a label parallel to what dysfunctional families give to the "black sheep" of their crew.

Paleophyte,
Thank you!
[+] 1 user Likes KitCat's post
09-10-2016, 10:16 PM
I realized it was all bullshit at once. Just different flavors of bullshit.