Hi

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2010, 03:39 PM

Hi
Hi,

Just registered to this forum. Last few days I checked out some of the threads, and appreciated! This looks like a place where decent, intelligent people meet to try and find out what life really is about, without having to adopt any fuzzy conventions. Neither fanatism nor overly careful politeness seems a prerequisite for acceptance here. Thanks all of you for being out there.

Autobiographic summary
Till recently I lived in The Netherlands. Raised in a mostly atheistic family, though my father was agnostic. Moved to a (mostly catholic) town at age of six. Studied maths, logic, and computer science. Have always had a broad scientific interest as well as interest in deeper motivation of people. Highly value independent thinking. Starting out as a convinced atheist, I saw no reason to expect anything beyond the physical world and (finite) earthly life. Some good friends of mine with a religious background appeared to have a strong believe in God, though. I wondered about that, because they were quite clever people. Around the age of twenty, I started to realize that they had something that was very valuable to them, though I could not grasp it. In addition, some personal experiences made me doubt my point of view. I was pretty sure, that I was missing something big, and decided I wanted to become a religious person. After exploring different religions (and philosophic approaches to life and religion), till today I still don't feel attracted to any of the religious organizations, communities, and groups I encountered. Most religiously oriented writing I find ranging from confused to appalling, though there are some texts that I highly appreciate and actually consider helpful. In essence, the way I viewed the world, never changed that much. All evidence shows that the universe (including ourselves) is evolving all by its itty bitty self, over an incredibly long time, without any preset purpose or conscious control from outside. I never saw any solid argument for the existence of any invisible force manipulating the world from outside. Whether life (and for that matter all that exists) be finite or infinite I do not consider relevant; both options are perfectly fine with me and I don't think it will influence what I do today. In spite of all this, I deem it healthy to believe in a God that sees me, whom created me in His image, understands me better than I do, and guides me when I am in doubt.

Hope this will do to convince I ain't no bot Dodgy
Hope not to be banned right away for not being an atheist Undecided
Quote this message in a reply
23-01-2010, 04:28 PM

RE: Hi
You are not an atheist? ¬.¬ Quick everyone, get the pitchforks and fire the torches!
[Image: mob-angry.gif]

---

Just kidding. Welcome! Enjoy your stay. It's been a bit quiet lately, but I'm hoping more people will come by to make this place better Smile
23-01-2010, 06:18 PM

Glad to have you aboard! I don't know if I can speak for everybody, but I am quite sure that we atheists like to maintain a standard of class and civility and we will be respectful of theists, so long as they're respectful of us, which you seem to be Smile
I personally like to take the theism out of religious principles and live my life that way. Before I was an atheist, I used to be a pagan but I still respect and honor nature. So in that way I respect theists.
Anyway, glad to have you Big Grin
27-01-2010, 01:44 AM

You can't be banned for not being an atheist anymore than I can be banned from attending church services. Universal truth has an open door policy---anyone can make an attempt at an understanding. And far be it from me to criticize someone who is really searching for truth or meaning in life, but why would you stop your search so soon when you still have so much to learn about yourself and your relationship to everything else? We barely know who we are and what we're becoming. Human development is just beginning to get interesting. I mean we are just now starting to become aware of some of the possibilities that the universe may posses. These new ideas hadn't been developed yet by the time humanity wrote it's first rough draft (the bible/koran) on the nature of reality. These poor people from so long ago weren't privy to basic knowledge that even young children are aware of today. How could the architects of such a belief system be in a better position in history than you and I to grasp the enormity, complexity, and beauty of "creation"? Why settle for the shortcomings of previous generations when you are the one who is now charged with the job of being an honest witness to an ever-changing reality. You underestimate your own ability to conceive new and unique ideas about these mysteries when you let others create the story for you. I would start fresh. Be open to discovery while you're alive. You can come to a conclusion when you die.
27-01-2010, 11:11 AM
A theist? On MY internets? Not on my watch!

LYNCH MOB!!!

[Image: Mob.gif]

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply