Hi.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-12-2013, 08:00 AM (This post was last modified: 31-12-2013 09:06 AM by DLJ.)
Hi.
A New Year (have a good one, btw) so a new me.

Hi, I'm DLJ.

I used to be an atheist but I have decided to convert to something more meaningful and descriptive of what impact I would like to have upon the world.

There are so many threads here demonstrating the misunderstanding of the label (atheist) and in particular the 'knowledge' vs. 'belief' confusion (agnostic vs. atheist).

The term 'free-thinker' is a more commonly used one here in SE Asia but similarly, it has been used by theists who haven't chosen any specific dogma / have chosen to reject specific dogmata i.e. deists.

I have come to the realisation that I do not really care what someone chooses to believe; I am more infuriated / disappointed / face-palmy at the reasoning (or lack of) behind that belief.

Even the expression "chooses to believe" is open for debate as there are those (Matt Dillahunty for one) who will say that belief is not a choice and that knowledge is a subset of belief which kinda fits my understanding of Information Modelling but experience tells me otherwise...

A recent conversation I had with a Jain was regarding what he believes despite the evidence derived by the scientific method so it was essentially a definitional discussion of 'faith' vs. 'belief'. 'Faith' has too many meanings (a faith, have faith, trust etc.) and perhaps in the context of the discussion it's fair enough to consider a set of beliefs as things that are selected as part of a faith... but in the end, so what?
I'm just getting bored with defining stuff before getting on to the more interesting stuff that matters: what do you believe and why?

In other words, it's faith-based vs evidence-based beliefs that are important with regard to my own hopes for creating civilised and just societies.

And I'm bored with explaining that critical-thinking is the technique, skepticism is the method and atheism is the result...
And then there is the 'morality' question: from where do atheists get your morality?
I think it is obvious that morality is situational / contextual / subjective but I'm getting bored explaining Euthyphro to those who have not even heard of Socrates! or that if therefore, I'm a nihilist, why would I label myself as 'secular-humanist' if human life is not sacred.

And then there are the other assumptions... no, I don't have a liberal agenda, no, I'm not necessarily anti-this or pro-that.

And do I really need to explain why totalitarianism is a bad thing and why atheism =/= Stalinism or Pol Pot ism?

It's pretty fucking simple... it's about freedom from indoctrination.

Whatever kind of society evolves from that ... whatever balance emerges between the needs of the many vs. the needs of the one, the collective vs. the individual, I don't know and don't really care as long it happens without subjugation... without the "mind-forged manacle".

There is no longer any debate over physical slavery... it is immoral.
But sexual, emotional, intellectual / cerebral slavery still goes on.

If you are OK with slavery, you brand yourself as immoral regardless of where you think those morals come from.

Widen the definition of slavery... win the debate!
I will not get side-tracked with explanation of what or who I am... I am anti-slavery... How about you?

Angry

It is for these reasons that from now on, I will be using the self-descriptor of ... Abolitionist.

So may I please re-introduce myself...

Hi, I'm DLJ... Abolitionist.

Vote for me!

Thanks for reading.

Thumbsup

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 13 users Like DLJ's post
31-12-2013, 08:07 AM
RE: Hi.
ahhhhhhhhhm.........

"Abolitionists" as a noun is already used for people who were actively trying to have slavery abolished.

As far as I know the last country to abolish slavery was Saudi Arabia in 1979. Which would make "Abolitionis" a historic term.

Never the less, I wouldnt want to define my character through words which define what I may or may not believe in.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
31-12-2013, 08:13 AM
(31-12-2013 08:07 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  ahhhhhhhhhm.........

"Abolitionists" as a noun is already used for people who were actively trying to have slavery abolished.

As far as I know the last country to abolish slavery was Saudi Arabia in 1979. Which would make "Abolitionis" a historic term.

Never the less, I wouldnt want to define my character through words which define what I may or may not believe in.

Thank you for your support!

It has been noted in the records.

31-12-2013, 08:14 AM (This post was last modified: 31-12-2013 08:18 AM by HU.Junyuan.)
DLJ, that's why materilism says that matter is in motion / changing.

BTW, can Abolitionists be interpreted as advocators for women's right of abortion ?

Anyway, happy birthday, newbie DLJ.

—— Greetings from a Chinese ... Demon Hunter.

Want something? Then do something.
[+] 2 users Like HU.Junyuan's post
31-12-2013, 08:32 AM
(31-12-2013 08:13 AM)DLJ Wrote:  It has been noted in the records.

There are records??? lol

Kind of weird you would say that since a friend of mine who is still on af.org notyfied me yesterday that an admin on that forum abused the data of some members to online stalk them.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
31-12-2013, 09:11 AM
I don't care what you call your self DLJ...you have my vote. Thumbsup

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
31-12-2013, 09:15 AM
*applause*
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
31-12-2013, 09:20 AM
I like "abolitionist" - but - it's going to require a ton of explanation every time you use it. It's too inconvenient.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
31-12-2013, 09:26 AM
tl;dr
All I wanna know is, are you gonna start annoying people for Jebus now ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
31-12-2013, 10:38 AM
(31-12-2013 08:14 AM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  ...
can Abolitionists be interpreted as advocators for women's right of abortion?

Anyway, happy birthday, newbie DLJ.

—— Greetings from a Chinese ... Demon Hunter.

Yup. Why not.

And Happy... hang on... you are the only person on here that I'm not going to say that to.
Happy non-Chinese New Year.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post