Hi.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-12-2013, 12:45 PM
RE: Hi.
(31-12-2013 12:30 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 12:17 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Sell it to me. It's 10x20 posts long. Is there anything that hasn't been said?

Just sayin' a True Abolitionist ™ would be there. Yes

Later maybe. 2:44am here. Haven't got the stamina to read such a long thread.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-12-2013, 12:46 PM
(31-12-2013 12:33 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  ...
"Abolitionist," as has been mentioned, is archaic;

So it's due for a revival.

Hallelujah!

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
31-12-2013, 12:59 PM
(31-12-2013 12:46 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 12:33 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  ...
"Abolitionist," as has been mentioned, is archaic;

So it's due for a revival.

Hallelujah!

My hardon is due for a revival... OK, I'm done here. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
31-12-2013, 01:25 PM
(31-12-2013 12:12 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Consider Is a 'bitch' a voluntary slave?

Consider A voluntary slave. An oxymoron easily exploited with ignorance.

Everyone knows "the safe word" ...but ... some might be taught/advised/persuaded/conditioned to not speak or sadly, simply not be provided a vocabulary.

Ignorance makes one's own participation in one's own slavery the turnkey in exploitation. Example: Nineteen.

Power is organized knowledge. And yet, there remains a fine line because power is easily corrupted through continued insistence of ignorance.

Fuck.
This abolitionist thing is quite a commitment. Seems worth it. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
31-12-2013, 01:30 PM
(31-12-2013 08:00 AM)DLJ Wrote:  A New Year (have a good one, btw) so a new me.

Hi, I'm DLJ.

I used to be an atheist but I have decided to convert to something more meaningful and descriptive of what impact I would like to have upon the world.

There are so many threads here demonstrating the misunderstanding of the label (atheist) and in particular the 'knowledge' vs. 'belief' confusion (agnostic vs. atheist).

The term 'free-thinker' is a more commonly used one here in SE Asia but similarly, it has been used by theists who haven't chosen any specific dogma / have chosen to reject specific dogmata i.e. deists.

I have come to the realisation that I do not really care what someone chooses to believe; I am more infuriated / disappointed / face-palmy at the reasoning (or lack of) behind that belief.

Even the expression "chooses to believe" is open for debate as there are those (Matt Dillahunty for one) who will say that belief is not a choice and that knowledge is a subset of belief which kinda fits my understanding of Information Modelling but experience tells me otherwise...

A recent conversation I had with a Jain was regarding what he believes despite the evidence derived by the scientific method so it was essentially a definitional discussion of 'faith' vs. 'belief'. 'Faith' has too many meanings (a faith, have faith, trust etc.) and perhaps in the context of the discussion it's fair enough to consider a set of beliefs as things that are selected as part of a faith... but in the end, so what?
I'm just getting bored with defining stuff before getting on to the more interesting stuff that matters: what do you believe and why?

In other words, it's faith-based vs evidence-based beliefs that are important with regard to my own hopes for creating civilised and just societies.

And I'm bored with explaining that critical-thinking is the technique, skepticism is the method and atheism is the result...
And then there is the 'morality' question: from where do atheists get your morality?
I think it is obvious that morality is situational / contextual / subjective but I'm getting bored explaining Euthyphro to those who have not even heard of Socrates! or that if therefore, I'm a nihilist, why would I label myself as 'secular-humanist' if human life is not sacred.

And then there are the other assumptions... no, I don't have a liberal agenda, no, I'm not necessarily anti-this or pro-that.

And do I really need to explain why totalitarianism is a bad thing and why atheism =/= Stalinism or Pol Pot ism?

It's pretty fucking simple... it's about freedom from indoctrination.

Whatever kind of society evolves from that ... whatever balance emerges between the needs of the many vs. the needs of the one, the collective vs. the individual, I don't know and don't really care as long it happens without subjugation... without the "mind-forged manacle".

There is no longer any debate over physical slavery... it is immoral.
But sexual, emotional, intellectual / cerebral slavery still goes on.

If you are OK with slavery, you brand yourself as immoral regardless of where you think those morals come from.

Widen the definition of slavery... win the debate!
I will not get side-tracked with explanation of what or who I am... I am anti-slavery... How about you?

Angry

It is for these reasons that from now on, I will be using the self-descriptor of ... Abolitionist.

So may I please re-introduce myself...

Hi, I'm DLJ... Abolitionist.

Vote for me!

Thanks for reading.

Thumbsup

Dlj: I am a high school graduate, and I know what an atheist is. We are people who don't accept the idea of theism. The term "Free Thinker" is useless! It really means nothing. You are an intelligent person. Don't abandon the foolish to gain the acceptance of the foolish.

Yes, "knowledge" is an illusion. But what we call "Knowledge" has gifted the world with food, power, the miracle of a simple Band-Aid.

"Faith" is not a complicated word. It means "Belief without reason." I don't have to tell you that. Maybe you are beginning to like the person. So, you're tired of hurting him. But he's still wrong. "Faith" is, still, a idiotic idea.

Slavery and atheism are two different subjects! you O.K.?

So, I'm a habitual screw-up, high school graduate. Shouldn't advise you in any direction. But I don't get this "Free Thinker" thing?
[+] 1 user Likes Ameron1963's post
31-12-2013, 01:38 PM
(31-12-2013 12:45 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 12:30 PM)Chas Wrote:  Just sayin' a True Abolitionist ™ would be there. Yes

Later maybe. 2:44am here. Haven't got the stamina to read such a long thread.

You know I'm yanking your chain, right? Consider

And Happy New Year, you expatriate Limey. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
31-12-2013, 01:50 PM
(31-12-2013 01:25 PM)kim Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 12:12 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Consider Is a 'bitch' a voluntary slave?

Consider A voluntary slave. An oxymoron easily exploited with ignorance.

Everyone knows "the safe word" ...but ... some might be taught/advised/persuaded/conditioned to not speak or sadly, simply not be provided a vocabulary.

Ignorance makes one's own participation in one's own slavery the turnkey in exploitation. Example: Nineteen.

Power is organized knowledge. And yet, there remains a fine line because power is easily corrupted through continued insistence of ignorance.

Fuck.
This abolitionist thing is quite a commitment. Seems worth it. Drinking Beverage

Can I chain you to a railing?

I nominate you for the position of vice-pres of the New Abolitionist Movement.

Bowing

31-12-2013, 01:53 PM
(31-12-2013 01:38 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 12:45 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Later maybe. 2:44am here. Haven't got the stamina to read such a long thread.

You know I'm yanking your chain, right? Consider

And Happy New Year, you expatriate Limey. Big Grin

Having not read the thread (poetry, there), I took you seriously.

I am now shamed.

HNY yourself, you yanking Yank.

Heart

31-12-2013, 02:00 PM
(31-12-2013 01:50 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Can I chain you to a railing?

I nominate you for the position of vice-pres of the New Abolitionist Movement.

Bowing

Swell.
Not to toot my own horn too loudly... I do seem fairly qualified: Vice presidents don't have to do much. On the plus side: I know how to make really good coffee and tea.
I think I might be able to extract a campaign strategy out of that. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
31-12-2013, 02:34 PM
Every time kim flirts with someone who is not me, I am not happy. Angry

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post