Hi!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-05-2011, 06:41 AM
Hi!
I'm new here, and I really enjoy reading everyone's thoughts. I probably won't be much of a poster, but I'll be around.

A bit about me: I'm in my 30s, a female living Northern NJ. I've been an out atheist for about 7 years now.

I have my degree in Art History. I'm a big history fan, and pretty into politics. I'm a huge reader of anything & everything. I travel a lot with my husband, Europe, US, Caribbean, you name I want to go!

Thanks for letting me introduce myself, I'm not real big on talking about myself, but please feel free to ask anything that comes to mind Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-05-2011, 06:51 AM
RE: Hi!
Welcome! So, what is your favorite book, author or series? and what that place that you have traveled to, was your favorite?

Google is one of my best friends Heart
[+] 1 user Likes seljusisk.'s post
27-05-2011, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the welcom sel!

My favorite books are a couple of different series actually. First Auel's Earth's Children series that started with Clan of the Cave Bear, she's an amazing researcher and takes decades to complete her books, amazing detail! My next favorite author would be Jacqueline Carey, my favorite books of hers are the Kushiel's Legacy series.
http://www.amazon.com/Jean-M.-Auel/e/B00...r_dp_pel_1
http://www.amazon.com/Jacqueline-Carey/e...825&sr=1-1
I also love comparitive religion, fantasy, history, political and social commentary books. I'm facinated by women's relationships with each other, and parenting too (even though we won't be procreating).
I kind of go all over the place from academia to smutty romance! I will turn my nose up to nothing book-wise! My amazon.com wishlist is like 40-some pages of just books.
We came back from Barcelona, Spain recently, that is such a cool city! Similar to Seattle, but brighter, warmer, sunnier and happier! A very hip an dynamic city, with great food and wonderful people. But I think so far my absolute favorite place I've been has been to the islands of Hawaii. We've been to three now (Oahu, Hawaii & Maui) and each one is so different it's almost like seeing 3 different countries in one island chain. I also really love Rome, that city is really fabulous, great food, wonderful shopping and amazing history! Our next trip to Europe will be either Lisbon, Portugal or Paris, we can't decide which.
And I LOVE your poem by the way! I hope we can learn from each other Smile
27-05-2011, 07:39 AM
i have some book hunting to do now, thanks for adding to my book list. That sounds amazing to of been able to see so many different places. I’m a military brat and have only lived in two countries. 17 years of military life, 5 different houses, and 2 countries... looking back, its kinda odd. Your must of seen and learned so much, that is really awesome that you've traveled so much.

27-05-2011, 08:32 AM (This post was last modified: 27-05-2011 08:39 AM by XiolaBlu14.)
I started to travel when I was young, I was lucky that my mom thought it was really an important suppliment to my education. It's not just about seeing all the touristy things, but experiencing how another culture lives. Luckily my husband is very similar to me in that we don't like to do all touristy stuff, but to go off the beaten path.

You said you lived in 2 countries? Which ones? I would love to live outside the US for a bit, I think you're so lucky to have that opportunity!

What kind of books do you usually like? Who is your favorite author, book or series?
oh and there's this great site, http://www.goodreads.com where you can keep track of books that you've read, review them and join groups. I have fun on there.
27-05-2011, 08:45 AM
I’ve only lived in usa and germany. I think that’s cool that your parents though culture and diversity is important, more people really should value it. We need more people like you, just thinking about all the things you could learn and experience you could get from exploring the world, it inspiring.

I normally read fantasy/mythology type of books but my favorite series is the Uglys trilogy by my favorite author Scott Westerfeld.

27-05-2011, 10:53 AM
The Carey books are fantasy. I'm going to check out the Westerfeld stuff Smile Thanks for that!
How did you like living in Germany? I've had friends that have lived there and they just loved it!

My feeling is that if you don't educate yourself on other cultures, religions or anything else, you cannot have compassion or empathy. One cannot fully understand anothers point of view, struggles or culture without some kind of basic understanding. It's what makes us human and individuals. I want to be the best person I can be, and for me that means understanding, empathy and compassion for my fellow humans Smile