Hi

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-03-2017, 04:41 PM
RE: Hi
(21-03-2017 08:15 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(21-03-2017 03:55 PM)alyssa2017 Wrote:  Hi, my name is Alyssa. I'm going to be honest and say that I am a devoted Christian. However, I don't plan on converting anyone, calling anyone out because they don't believe, or being mean. I love and accept everyone for who they are. I'm here for anyone who wants to ask me any questions, and I hope to learn more about why you don't believe. Either way, I'll probably more of an observer than anything. Anyway, I guess that's it. Smile

> What specific sect do you belong to? How did you acquire your Christian beliefs?

> Incidentally, I'm an ex-Roman Catholic.

Thank you for sharing that with me. I will answer questions in another thread. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-03-2017, 04:48 PM
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ons--41846
26-03-2017, 04:50 PM
Hi and welcome.

Hopefully that's not too wordy. Confused

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
26-03-2017, 07:01 PM
Welcome to the forum. As Momsurroundedbyboys pointed out, there are other theists on the forum and most of us who are regulars play very nicely with the atheists. The key to having successful conversations here is to recognize that the atheists on this forum (and me, because I’m not Christian) have already examined the same material that you’ll be discussing and we've come to a different conclusion than you’ve come to. Some of the folks here have suffered some kind of emotional trauma because of their religious upbringings and may regard you with a little hostility. You’re on their turf, so it’s going to be up to you to pick and choose your battles so you can have productive conversations with the people who are willing to engage with you.
[+] 6 users Like Aliza's post
27-03-2017, 12:01 AM
Very well said Smile

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-03-2017, 07:29 AM
Someone sent up the theist signal? We have worm sign Usul! (Cookies for all who get the reference. Tongue )

Welcome to TTA!! The good advice has all been given already, but welcome from a fellow believer in Christ. Also, just want to reiterate part of what Aliza said in particular, and don't think you'll run afoul it from your sunny disposition, but the emotional trauma and hostility thing...try not to take anything too personally if people do get a tad testy. There are people here, I would wager, who may very well suffer from Religious Trauma Syndrome.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Shai Hulud's post
27-03-2017, 08:22 AM
(27-03-2017 07:29 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Someone sent up the theist signal? We have worm sign Usul! (Cookies for all who get the reference. Tongue )

Welcome to TTA!! The good advice has all been given already, but welcome from a fellow believer in Christ. Also, just want to reiterate part of what Aliza said in particular, and don't think you'll run afoul it from your sunny disposition, but the emotional trauma and hostility thing...try not to take anything too personally if people do get a tad testy. There are people here, I would wager, who may very well suffer from Religious Trauma Syndrome.

I think its not so much trauma as caution and extreme skepticism until the religious individual has proven to be benign. There are a ton of reasons why the religious show up here from proselytizing through to curiosity and the forging of genuine friendly relationships, most either get banned or lose interest and the remnant... well I have my own little theory about that Wink Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post