Hi Everybody!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2017, 02:03 PM
Hi Everybody!
Hello, new member here. I just recently bought a smart tv, and started exploring stuff on YouTube, and discovered Seth's awesome podcasts! I have also watched Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion, some Christopher Hitchens, AronRa and Paulogia's Ham and Aig. Great stuff, all of it!

I'm not sure what to classify myself as... I don't think I'm an all-out atheist, but definitely not a Bible-believing Christian anymore. I do still feel like there's some sort of Higher Power in the distance, but not too sure about anything. And I haven't entirely lost my fascination with New Age Woo, even though I know it's mostly Woo.

So I'm in sort of a gray area, but I definitely think the "Free Thinker" title applies. I still think of myself as a sort of seeker or explorer. All I know is that I feel free to believe, or not believe, and owe no allegiance or explanation to anyone else for what I do or do not believe.

I hope under those conditions, that I am still welcome here.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like BBDee's post
03-09-2017, 02:19 PM
RE: Hi Everybody!
It's woo all the way down. (Probably...who knows)

Howdy and welcome!
03-09-2017, 02:20 PM
(03-09-2017 02:03 PM)BBDee Wrote:  Hello, new member here. I just recently bought a smart tv, and started exploring stuff on YouTube, and discovered Seth's awesome podcasts! I have also watched Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion, some Christopher Hitchens, AronRa and Paulogia's Ham and Aig. Great stuff, all of it!

I'm not sure what to classify myself as... I don't think I'm an all-out atheist, but definitely not a Bible-believing Christian anymore. I do still feel like there's some sort of Higher Power in the distance, but not too sure about anything. And I haven't entirely lost my fascination with New Age Woo, even though I know it's mostly Woo.

So I'm in sort of a gray area, but I definitely think the "Free Thinker" title applies. I still think of myself as a sort of seeker or explorer. All I know is that I feel free to believe, or not believe, and owe no allegiance or explanation to anyone else for what I do or do not believe.

I hope under those conditions, that I am still welcome here.

You are of course welcome Smile

Obey Stark's Law and you'll not only be welcome, but loved. "What is Stark's Law?" you ask, bemused. So glad you asked my friend. Stark's Law is simply "Don't be a dick". Stark's law is sometimes modified with Girlyman's addendum: "Don't be a dick, unless it's warranted". Either rule is acceptable. I don't follow it myself. My version is "I won't be a dick unless I feel like it".

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
03-09-2017, 02:45 PM
Welcome aboard. Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
03-09-2017, 03:17 PM
Welcome to the forum family! I hope you enjoy it here as much as I do. You will find a surprisingly wide variety of levels of religious beliefs here. Some are incredibly fixed, some are more fluid. I'm going to be very presumptuous as I say this---As you look to define yourself (which isn't at all a necessary thing in order to be here) I wonder if perhaps you would be what I would call a Deist----(I've been there myself) which I loosely define as:

Deism: The belief that a higher power was involved in the creation of the universe but remains apart from it and permits his creation to administer itself through natural laws. Deism thus rejects the supernatural aspects of religion, such as belief in revelations in the Bible, and instead, stresses the importance of ethical conduct both as individuals and as a society.

Either way, to address your last line, yes, you are welcome here! I look forward to your input. [Image: welcome-wagon.gif?w=104]

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 3 users Like outtathereligioncloset's post
03-09-2017, 05:09 PM
Hi BBDee.
Hobo
03-09-2017, 05:19 PM
Welcome!
03-09-2017, 05:53 PM
Welcome to the forum. Don't sweat the labels.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
03-09-2017, 07:24 PM
Hello! Big Grin
04-09-2017, 07:24 AM
Welcome to the forums. I look forward to reading your posts. Smile