Hi Everyone

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2012, 03:08 PM
Hi Everyone
My name is John, and I'm a fifty-eight year-old male who's open to the idea of describing myself as an athiest but have not yet done so, based on my current understanding of the term. I suppose this is because I have yet to be disabused of the notion that atheism constitutes a form of belief system. Since I knowingly subscribe to no belief systems, I have not considered myself an atheist.

Most important I though, is that atheists and agnostics come closest by far, to being in accord with my own thoughts about religion. It's amazing how my thinking could develop so independently and on such a different track from so many of you, yet derive precisely the same deductions and even use exactly the same descriptive terms when discussing Christianity in particular and religion in general!

At any rate, I'm here because as a "Black" man, I've had my fill of trying to "fish" in all of the wrong ponds ("Black" and other internet dating sites). The vast majority of "Black" Americans I know are steeped in the silliness of ghouls, goblins, ghosts and gods (a.k.a. Christianity). I finally had to come to terms with the madness of this reality and stop trying to force something that has little to no chance of success.

So here I've arrived at your doorstep, for intellectual stimulation and possibly friendship. I figure that if I stop looking for love in the wrong place it might find me if I'm in the right place. This forum, and the precious few other enlightened venues like it, is the right place for me. I'm here first and foremost, to learn and engage in intelligent conversation with anyone and everyone. So please don't hesitate to share your thoughts with me or pose any questions you may have. I look forward to conversing with all of you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes the2nd3rd's post
15-06-2012, 04:19 PM
RE: Hi Everyone
Hey John welcome to the forum.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
15-06-2012, 04:27 PM
(15-06-2012 03:08 PM)the2nd3rd Wrote:  My name is John, and I'm a fifty-eight year-old male who's open to the idea of describing myself as an athiest but have not yet done so, based on my current understanding of the term. I suppose this is because I have yet to be disabused of the notion that atheism constitutes a form of belief system. Since I knowingly subscribe to no belief systems, I have not considered myself an atheist.

Most important I though, is that atheists and agnostics come closest by far, to being in accord with my own thoughts about religion. It's amazing how my thinking could develop so independently and on such a different track from so many of you, yet derive precisely the same deductions and even use exactly the same descriptive terms when discussing Christianity in particular and religion in general!

At any rate, I'm here because as a "Black" man, I've had my fill of trying to "fish" in all of the wrong ponds ("Black" and other internet dating sites). The vast majority of "Black" Americans I know are steeped in the silliness of ghouls, goblins, ghosts and gods (a.k.a. Christianity). I finally had to come to terms with the madness of this reality and stop trying to force something that has little to no chance of success.

So here I've arrived at your doorstep, for intellectual stimulation and possibly friendship. I figure that if I stop looking for love in the wrong place it might find me if I'm in the right place. This forum, and the precious few other enlightened venues like it, is the right place for me. I'm here first and foremost, to learn and engage in intelligent conversation with anyone and everyone. So please don't hesitate to share your thoughts with me or pose any questions you may have. I look forward to conversing with all of you.
Welcome to the forum. I will try to disabuse you of the notion that atheism is a belief system.

Atheism, per se, is not any set of beliefs; it is merely the rejection of the belief in a deity, primarily because of the lack of evidence. You will find people with a wide range of beliefs here or in any gathering of atheists. You can see this for yourself by perusing some of the discussions that go on here.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-06-2012, 04:38 PM
Indeedy, welcome.
You say "It's amazing how my thinking could develop so independently and on such a different track from so many of you"
I think there are a wide variety of tracks that led here... no two members are the same.
Good luck finding the "intelligent conversation". It's findable.
But I wish even more good luck if you are looking for a date!
Any takers, boys?

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
15-06-2012, 07:26 PM
Welcome to the forum!

[Image: vjp09.gif]
15-06-2012, 07:37 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Feel free to never identify as an atheist. I only do because it's so much easier than describing every little idea I have in my head.

Also KC, you're lucky that your new gif is as awesome as it is, because the last one was really great.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-06-2012, 09:18 AM
(15-06-2012 07:37 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Welcome to the forum.

Feel free to never identify as an atheist. I only do because it's so much easier than describing every little idea I have in my head.

Also KC, you're lucky that your new gif is as awesome as it is, because the last one was really great.
It's getting really hard to outdo myself.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
16-06-2012, 09:40 AM
Welcome Smile
16-06-2012, 10:47 AM
Hi The2nd3rd - it's great you've found the forum! Looking for a possible parallel for your own ideology can be like a needle in a haystack, I suppose. It's possible your time here might give you ideas of what to actually look for in the real world. Assume nothing. Thumbsup

Chas is quite right, Atheism is simply a moniker attached to one who assumes no merit for the supernatural or the effects thereof. There is no "belief system" if one carries no belief.

You are. Also, you are, what some are not.
It might be like diagnosing certain diseases; after all other suspected conditions have been ruled out, what is left becomes the diagnosis. You've ruled out what you are not. You can decide what is beyond that.

Ha - so, cool - you're a "Black" man. I'm a sort of "transparent" woman and of course, Kingsy is a "rainbow" Theist. Hobo Labels: costume, shield, dunce cap, mortarboard, helmut, gown, fur, etc.,... all ready to wear, of our own design or someone else's. Many here will suit up during debate... it doesn't necessarily mean that's all we are. Who knows what one may have left hanging in the closet... or may re-design to wear another day? Wink

It is an international site and if there is any tip to provide, it would be that some might be using translator software ... something to keep in mind if the conversation is complex -keep sharp. Otherwise, it's a fairly relaxed atmosphere and no doubt you'll find interesting, thought provoking conversation, and maybe a couple of laughs.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 2 users Like kim's post