Hi Everyone, I used to be Jewish

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-09-2014, 10:13 AM
Hi Everyone, I used to be Jewish
Hi everyone Smile

I just wanted to introduce myself. 3 weeks ago was the first time that I told ANYONE that I no longer believe in a diety. Until then I'd kept it inside for the best part of 5 years. Please read on for a bit of my story.

I'm 28, live in the UK, and was raised in an orthodox jewish household. I would say that my family is progressive in that both of my parents worked (my father being a lawyer and my mother a geography teacher), but all holidays and saturdays were off limits - we had to go to temple, eat lots of food, and not touch light switches, phones, computers, tv, the whole caboodle. Food was a major issue, we only had certain things and no putting cheese on burgers.

I attended fully religious schools for my entire education, and even spent 2 years in seminary. I think that those 2 years where when my eyes were really opened. All my life I'd been told that whatever corruption occurred in other organizations (both regular companies doing dodgy deals, and places like churches with their child abuse etc) would never happen in a Jewish organization. Jews were apparently moral, and above question.

Well, this went down like a lead balloon in my head. I had seen the corruption and manipulation that was going on inside my own community - people being told to put their trust in god and that everything would be fine. What's that? Your mum is dying of cancer? Well, better pray for her and keep her away from doctors who will likely just be negligent and she'll definitely die that way. Don't you have trust that god will take care of people?
Erm, no. No I don't.
This way made even worse when the dean of my seminary was arrested and found guilty of a number of rape charges both against adults from the seminary and children of the school where he moonlighted as the principal. I found this sort of behaviour sickening.

I couldn't take it. I told my parents about how I felt.
Their response was 'Well, there are bad apples everywhere, but there are also some very good apples'.
Hmm Undecided

So, I decided to set out to find out some truths about things, all the while studying for an engineering degree (what? why do you need to study physics when god created all sorts of things that you'll never understand.....)

I slowly stopped following religious rules - I would use my phone for texting on Saturdays, maybe once or twice I ate food that someone told me I shouldn't.
This slope really started about 5 years ago once my parents left the UK to rejoin the rest of my family who have settled in Israel. Since they have left I have moved to a regular city without any sort of religious community in order to see what I really feel like I should do (as opposed to what the community thinks I must do). The truth is, I don't want to do any of it. And so I don't!

I don't believe in the fairies who give you things when you're nice to others. I don't believe that praying is a good plan for when you need rain and it's too dry. And I certainly don't believe that the people standing on a religious pedestal have the right to tell me how to live my life (especially when it invariably benefits them!).

Fast forward to my 'mini coming out' situation a few weeks ago. I'd been to Israel to visit my family (who are blissfully sort-of unaware). I was sat in the departure lounge and was completing a form from the tourism board into why I'd gone to Israel, how I'd spent my time, etc.
The last question was to fill in personal details. The lady doing the interview looked at me and said 'You're Jewish right?'. I stopped and thought about it. 'No', I told her 'I'm not. I don't believe in god at all, I'm an atheist'.

She looked like she was going to have a heart attack!
I felt like I was going to have a heart attack!
Never before have I told anyone that I don't believe in a god, that I'm an atheist. Here I was telling a complete stranger that her assumption about me is wrong. And it felt like a HUGE load had come off my shoulders. I felt that telling just one person meant that I wasn't keeping this to myself any more.
I've still not said anything to my family.

I joined this forum in order to get some support for this initial stage, and maybe (hopefully) help others who are in a situation like mine.

Take care Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like coppertable's post
15-09-2014, 11:01 AM
RE: Hi Everyone, I used to be Jewish
(15-09-2014 10:13 AM)coppertable Wrote:  Hi everyone Smile

I just wanted to introduce myself. 3 weeks ago was the first time that I told ANYONE that I no longer believe in a diety. Until then I'd kept it inside for the best part of 5 years. Please read on for a bit of my story.

I'm 28, live in the UK, and was raised in an orthodox jewish household. I would say that my family is progressive in that both of my parents worked (my father being a lawyer and my mother a geography teacher), but all holidays and saturdays were off limits - we had to go to temple, eat lots of food, and not touch light switches, phones, computers, tv, the whole caboodle. Food was a major issue, we only had certain things and no putting cheese on burgers.

I attended fully religious schools for my entire education, and even spent 2 years in seminary. I think that those 2 years where when my eyes were really opened. All my life I'd been told that whatever corruption occurred in other organizations (both regular companies doing dodgy deals, and places like churches with their child abuse etc) would never happen in a Jewish organization. Jews were apparently moral, and above question.

Well, this went down like a lead balloon in my head. I had seen the corruption and manipulation that was going on inside my own community - people being told to put their trust in god and that everything would be fine. What's that? Your mum is dying of cancer? Well, better pray for her and keep her away from doctors who will likely just be negligent and she'll definitely die that way. Don't you have trust that god will take care of people?
Erm, no. No I don't.
This way made even worse when the dean of my seminary was arrested and found guilty of a number of rape charges both against adults from the seminary and children of the school where he moonlighted as the principal. I found this sort of behaviour sickening.

Their response was 'Well, there are bad apples everywhere, but there are also some very good apples'.
Hmm Undecided

So, I decided to set out to find out some truths about things, all the while studying for an engineering degree (what? why do you need to study physics when god created all sorts of things that you'll never understand.....)

I slowly stopped following religious rules - I would use my phone for texting on Saturdays, maybe once or twice I ate food that someone told me I shouldn't.
This slope really started about 5 years ago once my parents left the UK to rejoin the rest of my family who have settled in Israel. Since they have left I have moved to a regular city without any sort of religious community in order to see what I really feel like I should do (as opposed to what the community thinks I must do). The truth is, I don't want to do any of it. And so I don't!

I don't believe in the fairies who give you things when you're nice to others. I don't believe that praying is a good plan for when you need rain and it's too dry. And I certainly don't believe that the people standing on a religious pedestal have the right to tell me how to live my life (especially when it invariably benefits them!).

Fast forward to my 'mini coming out' situation a few weeks ago. I'd been to Israel to visit my family (who are blissfully sort-of unaware). I was sat in the departure lounge and was completing a form from the tourism board into why I'd gone to Israel, how I'd spent my time, etc.
The last question was to fill in personal details. The lady doing the interview looked at me and said 'You're Jewish right?'. I stopped and thought about it. 'No', I told her 'I'm not. I don't believe in god at all, I'm an atheist'.

Never before have I told anyone that I don't believe in a god, that I'm an atheist. Here I was telling a complete stranger that her assumption about me is wrong. And it felt like a HUGE load had come off my shoulders. I felt that telling just one person meant that I wasn't keeping this to myself any more.

I joined this forum in order to get some support for this initial stage, and maybe (hopefully) help others who are in a situation like mine.

Take care Smile

Welcome. Have a bacon cheeseburger.

[Image: 4888273362_27868bbdcc.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
15-09-2014, 12:00 PM
At work.

Hello!

Much cheers to you and yours.
15-09-2014, 12:00 PM
Welcome aboard!

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
15-09-2014, 12:49 PM
Welcome...

I know a few "cultural Jews" who don't believe but do try to keep certain traditions alive.

I'm glad you found us. Smile

You might want to document some of your struggles in our "recovering from religion" area.

Hug

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

15-09-2014, 01:03 PM
Welcome aboard. Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
15-09-2014, 02:33 PM
Welcome!
15-09-2014, 03:52 PM
(15-09-2014 10:13 AM)coppertable Wrote:  Hi everyone Smile

Erm, no. No I don't.

Hmm Undecided

Take care Smile

Thanks for sharing your story, and enjoy a new life free of fabricated delusion. Yes

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
15-09-2014, 04:16 PM
(15-09-2014 10:13 AM)coppertable Wrote:  ... 'You're Jewish right?'. I stopped and thought about it. 'No', I told her 'I'm not. I don't believe in god at all, I'm an atheist'.

"You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

Welcome to the club.

Some of my favourite ever ever people are on this list.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
15-09-2014, 04:23 PM
(15-09-2014 04:16 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(15-09-2014 10:13 AM)coppertable Wrote:  ... 'You're Jewish right?'. I stopped and thought about it. 'No', I told her 'I'm not. I don't believe in god at all, I'm an atheist'.

"You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

Welcome to the club.

Some of my favourite ever ever people are on this list.

Sez them. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user