Hi Fellow Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2016, 10:41 AM
Hi Fellow Atheists
Hi there gang,

I am a relatively new atheist and so I am kind of looking around for a community of like minded people that I can relate to.

I became an atheist on 11th July last Heart It was singularly the most important and beautiful experience of my life Heart I felt I was touched by something much stronger than anything I have ever experienced. This thing I call "science" Heart It touched me and spoke to me in ways nothing in religion ever did. It has accepted me for who I was and didn't judge me for it but just gave me the love I needed. Yes! science loves you. It loves you, it loves me, it loves all mankind and anyone who believes in science is saved Heart

Thank you for listening to my brief testimonial and I hope to discuss more of the issues we have in common with our atheism with you here on this forum.

Peace xxx

ST
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ScientificTruth321's post
12-09-2016, 10:55 AM
RE: Hi Fellow Atheists
Blink Hi there Smile I too have been loved by the science. Praise be unto its holy name. Never may we question its precepts. Nor will we ever give in to those silly people who worship the false science sociology. I mean really. And don't get me started about mathematicians. Hmpf!

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
12-09-2016, 12:30 PM
Hi ScientificTruth, glad you stopped in.

What sort of science are you into? What did you do before you discovered science?

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
12-09-2016, 12:32 PM
Hello! Big Grin
12-09-2016, 12:48 PM
Hi, ST Smile

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
12-09-2016, 01:00 PM
(12-09-2016 12:30 PM)kim Wrote:  Hi ScientificTruth, glad you stopped in.

What sort of science are you into? What did you do before you discovered science?

Welcome to the forum. Smile

I had no science in my life... I was just lost and confused until science saved me. I guess you could say I was one of the sheep out there until science choose me and now I am cured and full of science Heart

I guess you could say I was an irrational roller coaster freak show running about like a headless chicken until science found me. I love science Yes
12-09-2016, 01:05 PM
Welcome!!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
12-09-2016, 01:32 PM
RationalPoet...... Glad you left sky hero belief. Science is a much more eloquent way of describing nature and the universe. But even atheists and scientists are mere humans too. There is only one good reason to hold any position on any subject and that is evidence. There is also only one good reason to dismiss a claim and that is lack of evidence.

"atheist" is not a moral code either. It merely means "off" on god claims, nothing more. It is not a political party or ideology or religion. We do not agree on all things all the time.

Here is some reading you might want to do though that anyone I would call an "educated atheist" will have read, others can add to this list.

1. The God Delusion, Richard Dawkins
2. The New Atheism, Victor Stenger
3. God The Failed Hypothesis, Victor Stenger
4. God Is Not Great, Christopher Hitchens
5. The End Of Faith, Sam Harris
6. Letter To A Christian Nation, Sam Harris
7. Infidel, Ayaan Hersi Ali
9. 2000 Years of Disbelief, James Haught

Terms you should know.

1. "Fallacy Of Pascal's Wager
2. "The problem with infinite regress"

Other scientists you should be aware of.

Neil deGrasse Tyson, host of COSMOS and "Star Talk"
Billy Nye
Brian Greene
Lawrence Krauss

Pick brains here if you get stumped by a theist elsewhere. And believe me when I say, Christians are not the only ones who either try to debunk science, try to claim sole ownership of science as if they invented it. I have been online 15 years now and have debated Christians and Muslims and Jews and Hindus and Buddhists and it is all the same.

1. "My religion debunks science"
2. "My religion is supported by science"
3. "My holy writings say"
4. "My holy hero said"
5. "You don't have all the answers"
6. "Prove it isn't true".

But they all do it. Remember there were no written religions 200,000 years ago, much less 4 billion years ago, on a planet that has had 5 mass extinctions in that time to which only 1% is the life we see today that has survived. Our planet orbits one sun as part of a galaxy full of billions of stars. A galaxy so big it takes 1 ray of light 100,000 years at the speed of light to cross. And our Milky Way galaxy is only 1 of 100s of billions of galaxies in our 13.8 billion year old universe. So no, I do not think there is any cosmic factory boss that put all that here just for humans.

Religion really is nothing more than our human's excuse to project their own attributes on non human events and to create social order. Learn as much as you can and don't blindly swallow a theist's claim if you get stumped. You can pass their claims by the skeptics here and we will be happy to pick those claims apart.

Welcome.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
12-09-2016, 01:43 PM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2016 01:48 PM by ScientificTruth321.)
(12-09-2016 01:32 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  RationalPoet...... Glad you left sky hero belief. Science is a much more eloquent way of describing nature and the universe. But even atheists and scientists are mere humans too. There is only one good reason to hold any position on any subject and that is evidence. There is also only one good reason to dismiss a claim and that is lack of evidence.

"atheist" is not a moral code either. It merely means "off" on god claims, nothing more. It is not a political party or ideology or religion. We do not agree on all things all the time.

Here is some reading you might want to do though that anyone I would call an "educated atheist" will have read, others can add to this list.

1. The God Delusion, Richard Dawkins
2. The New Atheism, Victor Stenger
3. God The Failed Hypothesis, Victor Stenger
4. God Is Not Great, Christopher Hitchens
5. The End Of Faith, Sam Harris
6. Letter To A Christian Nation, Sam Harris
7. Infidel, Ayaan Hersi Ali
9. 2000 Years of Disbelief, James Haught

Terms you should know.

1. "Fallacy Of Pascal's Wager
2. "The problem with infinite regress"

Other scientists you should be aware of.

Neil deGrasse Tyson, host of COSMOS and "Star Talk"
Billy Nye
Brian Greene
Lawrence Krauss

Pick brains here if you get stumped by a theist elsewhere. And believe me when I say, Christians are not the only ones who either try to debunk science, try to claim sole ownership of science as if they invented it. I have been online 15 years now and have debated Christians and Muslims and Jews and Hindus and Buddhists and it is all the same.

1. "My religion debunks science"
2. "My religion is supported by science"
3. "My holy writings say"
4. "My holy hero said"
5. "You don't have all the answers"
6. "Prove it isn't true".

But they all do it. Remember there were no written religions 200,000 years ago, much less 4 billion years ago, on a planet that has had 5 mass extinctions in that time to which only 1% is the life we see today that has survived. Our planet orbits one sun as part of a galaxy full of billions of stars. A galaxy so big it takes 1 ray of light 100,000 years at the speed of light to cross. And our Milky Way galaxy is only 1 of 100s of billions of galaxies in our 13.8 billion year old universe. So no, I do not think there is any cosmic factory boss that put all that here just for humans.

Religion really is nothing more than our human's excuse to project their own attributes on non human events and to create social order. Learn as much as you can and don't blindly swallow a theist's claim if you get stumped. You can pass their claims by the skeptics here and we will be happy to pick those claims apart.

Welcome.

Thank you for this wonderful guide to being an atheist. I am in fact also a poet and I made a poem recently about my new found belief of atheism.

Oh god you were not there
Oh god I did not care
About all the reasons and myths
That science could not explain
and nature it could not tame

Oh god my science got you whipped
It killed you stone dead
Now that I got all rational n stuff inside me aul' head

God you can go now and take your preacher
I have my science; my logical teacher!

Again thank you and yes I am feeling a little emotional right now to be finally in this place.
12-09-2016, 01:52 PM
Well, well stay grounded. The new car smell does wear off. You'll still have ups and downs in life, but always know you are not alone in your skepticism.

Be sure to barbecue kittens, record the NFL without their permission and rip the tags off of your mattress.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post