Hi! Found somewhere to talk about my thoughts :D

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2013, 04:33 PM
Hi! Found somewhere to talk about my thoughts :D
Hi! I am fifteen and going to be a high-school freshmen next school year, I am glad to be here, hopefully I have finally found someplace to talk about my thoughts. I am really looking forward to belonging to this community.

There is one thing I want to accomplish with this post, and that is to explain my quite complex religious philosophy. I started as a forced Christian, my family forced it onto my during my childhood, which is very common as far as I can tell. I then became mature enough to start to question the thoughts that had been forced upon me, and I almost instantly came to the conclusion that theistic religions are completely ridiculous. From that point on I called myself an Atheist, however, as I started to research various religious philosophies I started to very much change my view on religion. After multitudes of research I have come to the conclusion that I am a Non-theistic religious naturalist. However, as I believe that philosophy is up to your own personal interpretation, I didn't think that Naturalism fit me perfectly; after some research, I discovered Transtheism and religious pluralism. I have since then adopted many different aspects from many different religious philosophies and combined them into something that I can call my own. I think adopting a monotheistic approach doesn't do anyone justice because many different religions have many different interesting approaches to life and I think that ignoring them is not a particularly good thing to do, which is why I support religious pluralism. I don't use a book, or a person, or a preacher, or my parents, or whomever to base my philosophy off of, but rather my own personal thoughts as the backbone to produce my philosophy off of. I believe that you are the most important part of your religious philosophy, not the teachings of any book, or person, or being.

In conclusion, I would define myself as a Non-theistic religious Naturalist who adopts ideas from Pantheism, Transtheism, and religious pluralism. As I said earlier, I believe that you are the most important part of your religious thoughts, and that is why I don't adopt the usual monotheistic approach of only calling yourself an Atheist or a Theist, but rather taking some ideas from a verity of things and creating something that you can call your own. I think that a lot of people could seriously alter their religious thoughts if they only look past what they blindly believe as true and start looking deeper into what other people believe and adopt some of those ideas into their own.

The only way to avoid the personal corruption of praise is to go on working.
~Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2013, 05:13 PM
RE: Hi! Found somewhere to talk about my thoughts :D
Well ok, I don't have any of that stuff but hey, whatever trips your trigger there MagicBox. We're an international forum with predominately atheist members - most of us lack any kind of faith - so, you'll surely find a global perspective here.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
04-06-2013, 05:20 PM
(04-06-2013 04:33 PM)TheMagicBox Wrote:  Hi! I am fifteen and going to be a high-school freshmen next school year, I am glad to be here, hopefully I have finally found someplace to talk about my thoughts. I am really looking forward to belonging to this community.

There is one thing I want to accomplish with this post, and that is to explain my quite complex religious philosophy. I started as a forced Christian, my family forced it onto my during my childhood, which is very common as far as I can tell. I then became mature enough to start to question the thoughts that had been forced upon me, and I almost instantly came to the conclusion that theistic religions are completely ridiculous. From that point on I called myself an Atheist, however, as I started to research various religious philosophies I started to very much change my view on religion. After multitudes of research I have come to the conclusion that I am a Non-theistic religious naturalist. However, as I believe that philosophy is up to your own personal interpretation, I didn't think that Naturalism fit me perfectly; after some research, I discovered Transtheism and religious pluralism. I have since then adopted many different aspects from many different religious philosophies and combined them into something that I can call my own. I think adopting a monotheistic approach doesn't do anyone justice because many different religions have many different interesting approaches to life and I think that ignoring them is not a particularly good thing to do, which is why I support religious pluralism. I don't use a book, or a person, or a preacher, or my parents, or whomever to base my philosophy off of, but rather my own personal thoughts as the backbone to produce my philosophy off of. I believe that you are the most important part of your religious philosophy, not the teachings of any book, or person, or being.

In conclusion, I would define myself as a Non-theistic religious Naturalist who adopts ideas from Pantheism, Transtheism, and religious pluralism. As I said earlier, I believe that you are the most important part of your religious thoughts, and that is why I don't adopt the usual monotheistic approach of only calling yourself an Atheist or a Theist, but rather taking some ideas from a verity of things and creating something that you can call your own. I think that a lot of people could seriously alter their religious thoughts if they only look past what they blindly believe as true and start looking deeper into what other people believe and adopt some of those ideas into their own.

Welcome, but it is completely unclear to me me what religious belief(s) you have.

Soul? Afterlife? Spirits? Astrology? Unicorns?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
04-06-2013, 05:28 PM
(04-06-2013 05:20 PM)Chas Wrote:  Welcome, but it is completely unclear to me me what religious belief(s) you have.

Soul? Afterlife? Spirits? Astrology? Unicorns?

Yes, that! Drinking Beverage

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
04-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Well, it gets a bit complicated, I have religious beliefs, they are just based in the non-supernatural. I believe in a non-supernatural god, that is key, I am devoutly non-theistic. Using Naturalism and Pantheism as the basis for my beliefs, I believe in a immanent god, a god that surrounds us in a material sense, not a supernatural one. I believe that the Universe and Nature are identical with a divine figure. As I like to say, you are the Universe experiencing itself. If you are confused just look up "naturalism" and "pantheism"

~Albert Einstein
04-06-2013, 05:45 PM
Welcome to the forum TMB. How do you handle the mesh of all those labels? Do you allow for constant change or set yourself a guideline structure in your set of beliefs?

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
04-06-2013, 05:51 PM
(04-06-2013 05:45 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Welcome to the forum TMB. How do you handle the mesh of all those labels? Do you allow for constant change or set yourself a guideline structure in your set of beliefs?
I am a heavy advocate for self change, which means I am almost always comfortable with changing my ideas. However, my personal goal with religious philosophy is to provide me with some goals regarding how I should live my life. I use my religious philosophy as a way to guide my moral compass as well as setting goals for how I can better myself and those around me. I think that without change nothing can be accomplished, which is why if someone presents me with better evidence for how I can better myself and my life, I would be ready to change my philosophy in order to make that happen.

~Albert Einstein
04-06-2013, 11:35 PM
Welcome Smile
04-06-2013, 11:39 PM
immanent god? I heard that before... Egor?

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
05-06-2013, 12:26 AM
(04-06-2013 05:51 PM)TheMagicBox Wrote:  I am a heavy advocate for self change, which means I am almost always comfortable with changing my ideas. However, my personal goal with religious philosophy is to provide me with some goals regarding how I should live my life. I use my religious philosophy as a way to guide my moral compass as well as setting goals for how I can better myself and those around me. I think that without change nothing can be accomplished, which is why if someone presents me with better evidence for how I can better myself and my life, I would be ready to change my philosophy in order to make that happen.

Have you considered that your interest in adhering to some sort of religious belief about the world has something to do with your environment?

I understand that you denounce religion as you know it but speaking from an empirical, philosophic perspective, there is no such thing as religion that doesn't include magical thinking.

Pantheism and Transtheism are both theisms...which means they are both faiths based upon woo.

Ultimately, there is this philosophy and that philosophy and good philosophy. Good philosophy is based upon empirically verifiable, repeatable and demonstrable evidence of human action and other philosophies are based upon what makes the individual feel good.

In short, good philosophy is not based upon feelings (or woo). It is based upon real human action and the results thereof. Or in simpler terms, real philosophy follows the dictates of the scientific method.

So there's a challenge to your thought process.

Oh and, welcome to the club. It's wonderful to meet thinking young individuals like yourself. Bowing

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post