Hi, I am a noob here. Also, I really need some help...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-04-2012, 05:17 PM
RE: Hi, I am a noob here. Also, I really need some help...
(30-04-2012 05:09 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(30-04-2012 05:07 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Just stay off of Hastings.
Lol...well he could find plenty of atheists there...as long as he avoids the Soup Kitchens. Big Grin

LOL....yea I know what Hastings like from Taiwan's Backpacker website...
What's Soup Kitchens BTW?

Life is too important to be taken seriously.
- Oscar Wilde
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-04-2012, 05:24 PM
I don't know what mispost you are referencing. If you link me I'll take a look at it.
I don't know of any soup kitchens on Hastings, but I think there was a needle exchange until recently and a safe use center.

Are you not being fed Jed?

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-04-2012, 05:41 PM (This post was last modified: 30-04-2012 06:01 PM by Jedah.)
(30-04-2012 05:07 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Well, welcome to the forum, and more so, welcome to Canada.

I'm in Abbotsford right now, not too far from Vancouver. I live in the bible belt. I feel your pain. Unfortunately where I am there aren't any groups that meet up for anything other than church or to organize some less legal crime.

However I located this group on Meetup.com . Give them a shot.

Vancouver is a huge place, seedy, but huge. I'm sure you can find someone that doesn't believe. Just stay off of Hastings.

Thanks for the info.
I am not going to break any law here as a foreigner. I did involve some LGBT rights movement and did some protest when I was a university student in Taiwan ,but it was long time ago.
Since I heard that Canada is probably the most advace country on LGBT rights I guess it won't require my concern Tongue
However, I do find something interesting about LGBT rights in Canada:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Canada
""" While same-sex sexual activity is not criminalized, the age of consent is 18 for anal sex under section 159, but is 16 for all non-anal sex, regardless of sexuality of the participants, since 1988.[1] Courts in three Canadian provinces have held this difference to be discriminatory under Section 15 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms [2] """

With all due respect, I have to say the logic behind this law is somehow hilarious to me... Laughat

(30-04-2012 05:24 PM)lucradis Wrote:  I don't know what mispost you are referencing. If you link me I'll take a look at it.
I don't know of any soup kitchens on Hastings, but I think there was a needle exchange until recently and a safe use center.

Are you not being fed Jed?

No, I mean what "soup kitchens" means in English? How come it related to "needle exchange"? O.o
Also, what "Are you not being fed Jed? " means ???????
I told you guys my English sux... /_\

- Oscar Wilde
30-04-2012, 06:25 PM
Soup kitchens are places where the homeless can go to get a meal for free. It's not directly related to needle exchanges. It's just you usually find the soup kitchens in the seedier sides of town which is also where you tend to find the rehab clinics and needle exchanges.
Not that there aren't homeless people in the nice areas of town either but city planners usually only put soup kitchens out of the way so they don't have to think about it.

I didn't know about the anal age of consent before. I agree about it seeming somewhat illogical.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-04-2012, 08:28 PM
I'm staying in canada for a while too Jed, though I'm in montreal on the other side of the country. Glad Lucradis already caught you, we have a few members in BC. If we were closer together I'd definitely work with you some. Luckily Montreal is nowhere close to a bible belt.

Funny thing about LGBT rights, my first time ever being given trouble in an airline due to my male passport happened when trying to get into Montreal. I've been to some places with much less acceptance in general of transsexuals so it was really surprising to have my first really bad international travel issue when going to Canada.

Definitely find something to do on Sunday. I'm staying with my partner so that was taken care of a long time ago. My partner is buddhist but just culturally. I have not dealt with theism since coming here. One of the best things about being on this side of the country, though I don't know french =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
30-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Jed, the other thing about soup kitchens is they are typically run by churches. You get a "free" meal AFTER you hear a sermon about Jesus. Confused

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
30-04-2012, 08:57 PM (This post was last modified: 30-04-2012 09:09 PM by Jedah.)
(30-04-2012 08:28 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  I'm staying in canada for a while too Jed, though I'm in montreal on the other side of the country. Glad Lucradis already caught you, we have a few members in BC. If we were closer together I'd definitely work with you some. Luckily Montreal is nowhere close to a bible belt.

Funny thing about LGBT rights, my first time ever being given trouble in an airline due to my male passport happened when trying to get into Montreal. I've been to some places with much less acceptance in general of transsexuals so it was really surprising to have my first really bad international travel issue when going to Canada.

Definitely find something to do on Sunday. I'm staying with my partner so that was taken care of a long time ago. My partner is buddhist but just culturally. I have not dealt with theism since coming here. One of the best things about being on this side of the country, though I don't know french =p
Glad to hear that Montreal is seemingly better than here.
I am going to have a job interview in Vancouver after few days, which is a position in Montreal! (woo~~hoo~~)
Lets pray that I can get this position and meet you there. Big Grin

(30-04-2012 08:32 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Jed, the other thing about soup kitchens is they are typically run by churches. You get a "free" meal AFTER you hear a sermon about Jesus. Confused
Well ... I have to confess that is one of many reasons (though is not the main one) sustains me for this Sunday torment (cuz my landlord will provide me free lunch during that day).
I feel sooooo embarrassed.... Weeping

- Oscar Wilde
[+] 1 user Likes Jedah's post
30-04-2012, 09:26 PM
I live in Canada too. You do not have to attend church to keep your work VISA. Your landlord cannot hold that over your head, Canada is a country that allows religious (or non) freedom. If you don't want to confront your landlord but would rather just slyly stop going to church then maybe you should start making plans for Sunday mornings. Tutor someone, make an excuse to need to go to work or take a class in something on Sunday mornings. Good luck!
30-04-2012, 09:43 PM
(30-04-2012 09:26 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I live in Canada too. You do not have to attend church to keep your work VISA. Your landlord cannot hold that over your head, Canada is a country that allows religious (or non) freedom. If you don't want to confront your landlord but would rather just slyly stop going to church then maybe you should start making plans for Sunday mornings. Tutor someone, make an excuse to need to go to work or take a class in something on Sunday mornings. Good luck!

I know, really...
but just like I mentioned before, this is just a mean to the end for something ... and it's not really something to do with money ...

Sad

- Oscar Wilde
30-04-2012, 09:56 PM
That sucks. If you can't tell your whole story it's kind of hard to give advice then, like why exactly you have to go to church (you say it's not in your rental agreement and that you know by Canadian law you don't have to). Still, good luck!