Hi, I'll explain my story.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2011, 07:37 PM
Hi, I'll explain my story.
Hi, I'm a twenty four year old male that comes from a very religious family. My mother's side is not quite as bad. They're Christians but they don't really try to shove it in your face. I told them I had my doubts about the existence of God and they just told me that they still love me no matter what. They tell me that they think I do believe in him deep down but if I didn't then they respect my belief. My father's side however really jumped down my throat. My dad was very harsh about any of my doubts before I even told him I thought the bible was a myth. I use to question why did God let this and that happen and he would say "Who are you to question the almighty? You are nothing but a low human being compared to his greatness." I would sometimes tell him that if God had made the universe for us, then why do we live on such a small percentage of the earth more less the universe. He always has the same response about God not wanting us to know everything. He says God will reveal it in his time not ours. He asked me "What are you going to say when God ask why didn't you trust him?Why didn't you just let him lead the way?" I started to respond that I would ask why he didn't make it more clear but my dad cut in with"No you wouldn't ask him anything! You'll fall on your knees begging for forgiveness for not trusting him!" He always has that same circular logic about why he believes The Bible is true among other religious stories. I asked him what would he do if the other religions were right. He responds with saying he's prayed and God showed him which religion is right. I then asked him about the other people who prayed to their god and he showed them that their religions true. His response was of course "Well Satan tricked them into that religion." I then asked "Well what if the evil figure in their religion tricked you". He of course says that God Has shown him the way so he Knows he has the right god,and round and round he goes. I remember talking about how neat our solar system is and how beautiful the earth is. He says"Well you see all that don't you?God made all of it so you're dumb to question someone like that." I had a friend that died back when I believed in Christianity. I remember worrying about if my friend made it to Heaven and my dad told me that if he didn't make it and went to hell he deserved it because God is always right. My father's whole side is very judgmental and think the're always right about everything. I tried talking to my dad about evolution and we didn't get too far into it because he clearly didn't understand the concept.Does this sound familiar? "Well if we evolved from apes then why don't you see apes still coming out of the woods turning into man ?" Very irritating! I guess I just started this thread to see if anyone else has a parent like that. My dad always warns me that if I go to Hell then he warned me. I guess I'd rather take the risk of Hell than listen to all of the hell raising he does anyway.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like bigcatlover2000's post
13-12-2011, 11:29 PM
RE: Hi, I'll explain my story.
Welcome, BigCat!
I hope you find the same kind of freedom of thought and support that many of us have found here.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
13-12-2011, 11:41 PM
Welcome. There is a good community here. Many people are down with deep talks as well as throwing a few laughs out here and there.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
13-12-2011, 11:51 PM
Welcome Smile
13-12-2011, 11:57 PM
Hi -Sounds like you've had a lot to listen to. I think you'll find this place a breath of fresh air.

Smile Welcome to the forum.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
14-12-2011, 12:42 AM
That's a lot of words. Good to see that you explain things in detail that's really helpful around here. welcome.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
14-12-2011, 02:59 PM
Welcome, bigcatlover2000.

You can be sure of being able to discuss those things, and more, here. You may learn enough from that to give you a better sword and armor for doing battle with the fundies.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-12-2011, 07:17 PM
(14-12-2011 02:59 PM)Chas Wrote:  Welcome, bigcatlover2000.

You can be sure of being able to discuss those things, and more, here. You may learn enough from that to give you a better sword and armor for doing battle with the fundies.

Ironic use of New Testament imagery. Big Grin

If I may be allowed to paraphrase:
For we wrestle not with principalities and powers, but with flesh and blood Fundies.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
14-12-2011, 07:29 PM
(14-12-2011 07:17 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(14-12-2011 02:59 PM)Chas Wrote:  Welcome, bigcatlover2000.

Ironic use of New Testament imagery. Big Grin

If I may be allowed to paraphrase:
For we wrestle not with principalities and powers, but with flesh and blood Fundies.

[Image: come_at_me_bro.jpg]

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
14-12-2011, 07:49 PM
Hey welcome! ..

... I'm a bit of an asshole but .. well to be honest I'm not sure what this community thinks of me.. maybe they are scared.. who knows.... but good story.... your amongst a good group here.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire