Hi I'm I'mFred

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-05-2016, 07:46 PM
Hi I'm I'mFred
I'm I'mFred

I've never believed in God.

I enjoy listening to arguments between theists and atheists but I don't enjoy partaking in them.

I think many arguments in favor of theism are good but it doesn't matter because it's not a matter of logic to me. Who can put the most cogent argument together will not make me believe in anything supernatural. My mind is and has always been closed on the issue. I don't believe because I don't. I didn't reason it out. I never had to because I never had any doubt. I might even think those are really good arguments in favor of theism but it doesn't matter. I would go so far as to say I CAN'T believe.

I don't know how unusual that is. I hear people say they were Catholic or Baptist or whatever and that makes me feel like a different sort of atheist. I'm in no way agnostic. The argument that we can't disprove it either makes sense but it has no influence on what I (don't) believe. I don't have a reason why I know there's no supernatural whatever(s). I just do.

I don't argue or try to convince people because I don't care what they believe.

I don't think I've ever been discriminated against for my lack of faith and I live in the Bible Belt. I don't think anyone cares.

Well, that's it for my introduction. I wonder who else can relate to this.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
10-05-2016, 08:03 PM
RE: Hi I'm I'mFred
Hey I'mFred.
I'm notFred, I'mFred.

I agree. Arguing about god is a useless waste of time.
I don't mind pointing out theists' unexamined assumptions .. but arguing is never gonna change anyone's mind.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
10-05-2016, 08:16 PM
Thanks for replying.

It seems like a lot of people are swayed by good arguments so we may not be on the same page exactly.

But in my personal case the matter has always been closed. I guess I'm not a "thinking" atheist. I'm just a guy who's been an atheist for as long as I can remember. I don't think I ever thought it out.

I enjoy hearing why others came to their conclusions but my story seems so different to me but maybe I just want to pretend I'm special.
10-05-2016, 08:38 PM
(10-05-2016 08:16 PM)ImFred Wrote:  Thanks for replying.

It seems like a lot of people are swayed by good arguments so we may not be on the same page exactly.

But in my personal case the matter has always been closed. I guess I'm not a "thinking" atheist. I'm just a guy who's been an atheist for as long as I can remember. I don't think I ever thought it out.

I enjoy hearing why others came to their conclusions but my story seems so different to me but maybe I just want to pretend I'm special.

Some of us are igtheists. The word pronounced "gawd" is meaningless.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
10-05-2016, 08:40 PM
(10-05-2016 08:16 PM)ImFred Wrote:  Thanks for replying.

Welcome to TTA.

Actually, there are quite a few never-believers here and your description rang true with me.

This means we're both special.

Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
10-05-2016, 08:46 PM
Cool.

I googled apathy and atheism after my second reply and found there's such a thing as apatheism and from the above post I learned the term ignosticism.

I'm not sure either fits me to a T but they're both closer than any terms I've ever heard of before. My special snowflake is melting!
11-05-2016, 04:45 AM
Hey I'mFred. O.o Can I call you Fred?
11-05-2016, 05:12 AM
Yes. I'm I'mFred. You can call me I'm. You can call me Fred. You can call me if.
11-05-2016, 05:15 AM
(11-05-2016 05:12 AM)ImFred Wrote:  Yes. I'm I'mFred. You can call me I'm. You can call me Fred. You can call me if.

Can I call you mfre? Or red? Or I'mF? Or I'mFre?
11-05-2016, 06:25 AM
Yes. Or IMF or Firm.

Firm sounds sexy.

I noticed you were from around the way and I thought you and me should get to talking.