11-05-2016, 06:29 AM
RE: Hi I'm I'mFred
Hi, Welcome aboard!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2016, 06:41 AM
(11-05-2016 06:25 AM)ImFred Wrote:  Yes. Or IMF or Firm.

Firm sounds sexy.

I noticed you were from around the way and I thought you and me should get to talking.

Okay.
11-05-2016, 06:46 AM
Do you like ice cream?
11-05-2016, 07:05 AM
(11-05-2016 06:46 AM)ImFred Wrote:  Do you like ice cream?

Yeah. Ice-cream is cool.
11-05-2016, 08:01 AM
I haven't eaten it for a long time because I've been losing weight.

I've lost a lot of weight but I'm still pretty fat.

I like being thin because it's less to carry around.
11-05-2016, 08:14 AM
(11-05-2016 08:01 AM)ImFred Wrote:  I haven't eaten it for a long time because I've been losing weight.

I've lost a lot of weight but I'm still pretty fat.

I like being thin because it's less to carry around.

I only have it every once in a while. Definitely not a thing I have all the time.

Okay.

What foods do you like. Smile
11-05-2016, 08:23 AM
[Image: FRED-2008.jpg]

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
11-05-2016, 08:59 AM
(10-05-2016 07:46 PM)ImFred Wrote:  I'm I'mFred

I've never believed in God.

I enjoy listening to arguments between theists and atheists but I don't enjoy partaking in them.

I think many arguments in favor of theism are good but it doesn't matter because it's not a matter of logic to me. Who can put the most cogent argument together will not make me believe in anything supernatural. My mind is and has always been closed on the issue. I don't believe because I don't. I didn't reason it out. I never had to because I never had any doubt. I might even think those are really good arguments in favor of theism but it doesn't matter. I would go so far as to say I CAN'T believe.

I don't know how unusual that is. I hear people say they were Catholic or Baptist or whatever and that makes me feel like a different sort of atheist. I'm in no way agnostic. The argument that we can't disprove it either makes sense but it has no influence on what I (don't) believe. I don't have a reason why I know there's no supernatural whatever(s). I just do.

I don't argue or try to convince people because I don't care what they believe.

I don't think I've ever been discriminated against for my lack of faith and I live in the Bible Belt. I don't think anyone cares.

Well, that's it for my introduction. I wonder who else can relate to this.

I think it is a mistake to say you are closed minded for rejecting the idea of the super natural Just like it would be a mistake to say you are closed minded for being an adult and accepting Santa isn't real. Scrapping old ideas based on myths and naked assertions doesn't make you closed minded, it means you have grown up.

I do warn you however right you are in rejecting the idea of the super natural, you really should know why you are right and not simply go "that doesn't make sense".

I agree, but there are REAL reasons rooted in evolution and human psychology that literally explain why humans make up and believe those things.

Just as a start, though let me help you out.

One of the best ideas that scientific method relies on was that of "Occham's razor". Which simply stipulates that if you have countless guesses as to what might fill in a and answer a gap in knowledge, the one that is the least complicated is going to be your most likely answer.

Even auto mechanics employ this idea. When they are faced with a car that does not start, they don't take apart the entire engine as a starting point. They check the battery, battery cable, then maybe the ignition and starter.

Now, between your two options, which do you think is the most likely probability and least complicated to explain why religions and god claims exist?

1. There really is a god/or gods or something super natural? But there is still a problem with that even if you do think that. "Infinite regress"..... If everything has a cause, then that god had a cause and then that bigger cause had an even more complicated cause.

OR.

2. Religion is merely a reflection of human's qualities, desires, fears and narcissism?

Three books I highly recommend everyone reading this if you have not, read.

Evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins in "The God Delusion" explains in scientific terms why humans falsely believe in god/s. It is a result of of our species flawed perception, in confusing natural events having some sort of human like super power controlling that event. Our species evolved with the ability to seek patterns, unfortunately we also did not evolve to always test and falsify our perceptions so we ended up gap filling by projecting our own qualities on non human things.

And Victor Stenger's two books "God The Failed Hypothesis" but especially "The New Atheism" go into scientific detail as to why science DOES have something to say about god claims and why a god/or God most certainly does not exist. He also spends time in later chapters demonstrating that ALL religions can point to their ideas of good and empathy, but says that should tell us, that our behaviors are in our evolution, not religion or holy books.

I'd add to that that there has never been or is now, or ever will be such a thing as a perfectly unifying religion. Every religion as an umbrella label has sub sects that don't agree as to the interpretation of the label or the holy writings.

AND add to that, knowing our planet is 4 billion year old and has had 5 mass extinctions. Add to that knowing that our galaxy has billions of suns in it, a galaxy so big it takes 1 ray of light, at the speed of light 100,000 years to cross. Add to that our known universe has 100s of billions of galaxies. After everything you have read so far, do you really think that all this was put here for humans? No? So what would make you feel you are being closed minded anymore than giving up on the idea of Santa?

"All this" is merely a giant weather pattern as to which we are riding in as a mere blip. It does not mean we have to be fatalistic or not value the time we have, it just means the ride ends.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-05-2016, 09:41 AM
Hey there, I'mFred - like DLJ said, what you said rang true for me, as well. I'm also a never never. Good you came to explore.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
11-05-2016, 12:54 PM
Hey, I M. or I'm, or Fred. or redfred.
I like your username.
It will be fun to call you various fredisms.
I'm carol.
Big Grin

The biology of mind bridges the sciences - concerned with the natural world - and the humanities - concerned with the meaning of human experience. Eric Kandel