Hi, I'm Mina =D

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2010, 01:54 AM

Rainbow Hi, I'm Mina =D
I am a noob here and I suppose introductions are in order.
My name is Mina, I am 18 years old and from California.
I have been an Atheist since I was 15. I have a Pagan family, and so I have always been a sinner in the eyes of christians.
I like the arts, liturature, and all science (namely oceanography and astronomy).
When I do have religious debates, I try to refrain from personal cut-downs and insults or use any arguments founded on emotion instead of fact and logic because then I feel it loses all validity.
I don't publically attack religion, but I do privately wish that more people would realize that the universe is much bigger than described in their books, scrolls, oral traditions, hyrogliphs and so on. I hope humanity eventually outgrows these archaic beliefs in the same way a child outgrows santa claus.
Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2010, 04:48 AM

RE: Hi, I'm Mina =D
Good for you Mina. You ain't the only noob on the tube. I'm 43 and this is the first time I've ever tried to communicate using any kind of forum on the computer. I don't know what I'm doing so I just started pushing buttons using you as my test message. I've been an atheist since I was born. Sounds like you have a good ethic in the way you approach dealing with people who differ with you philosophically. I've found that in all my years I've sort of tip toed around other peoples beliefs so that conflict wouldn't occur, but It always felt disingenuous. I feel like somehow I've given credence to other peoples unfounded notions simply because I haven't given them a good solid argument. When I was your age, most everyone I knew shared my views on reality. But as we grew slowly away from each other I found less and less people to relate to. And you're right, the goal isn't to offend others. But it's such a touchy subject for some people that they become defensive almost immediately just by asking them simple, logical questions. My goal with anybody is to try to come to a new understanding about the subject at hand, not to show how smart I am. I'm not that smart and that's why I want to expand my comprehension. It's hard to find people with that same goal in mind. And really I find that my parents are my closest allies when it comes to seeking honest discussion. Actually, I'm just beginning to straight out tell new people I meet my convictions so that they know it's O.K. not to be silent on something that has been so damaging to the human race. Or if they're of the religious persuasion, it let's them know immediately that they'll be tip toeing around me. And it's not just a matter of expressing myself to feel good--I'm seriously lonely out here in space. People are sleepwalking their way through their lives and I honestly feel sad for them. I'm with you on hoping humanity outgrows those archaic beliefs and I'm heartened to know there are people like you out there that aren't afraid to expand their intellect.
03-01-2010, 12:44 AM

Rainbow RE: Hi, I'm Mina =D
Thanks, Grassharpper =)
I have been a pagan for most of my life, and as a child, I was often attacked for my beliefs, by all kinds of theists. I realized at a very young age the what people believed was as concrete as their belief in gravity.
As a pagan, there was more than one god to worship and my favourite was the goddess of the night time(Luna or Laila), who was also the goddess of hunters, knowledge and wisdom (on her shoulder was an owl, and owls are hunters who see in all directions), and so like any (true) christian would try to immitate Jesus Christ, I tried to immitate her in the idea that I had to look at things from every direction. In this way, my religion made me into a scientific thinker, and though I do not believe in gods or spirits and so on any longer, I find it sad that so many other religions are corrosive to progressive scientific thinking.
And as much as we would like to, we can't make a campaign to end religion, because it would make us no better than the religious people like Mahmmoud Ahmedinejad, Osama Bin Laden, Fat mothers from the American Midwest and the pilgrims who tried to kill off the witches in the 1600's.
But as for being an Atheist, don't feel lonely, feel liberated. It is like what you said: "People are sleepwalking their way through their lives" and though it may be heartbreaking to wake up, you are no longer tied down by fear or apprehension to explore the universe that becomes so much bigger when you wake up.
03-01-2010, 07:11 PM

All good points Mina. I wouldn't want to restrict any freedom of thought by anybody either and I try real hard not to judge too harshly when I do hear beliefs that don't make sense to me. I guess I really don't believe in the concept of believing things that don't hold up to the scrutiny of scientific evaluation. I reserve beliefs for things that hold high probability (like life on other planets). I wonder if there's a chemical or electrical difference in the brain between "knowing" or "believing". Someone should do a study. But I'll tell you, if the collective body of humans on this planet could be made aware that simple critical thinking skills are just a thought away, wouldn't that put to rest so much confusion? The weird thing is that I Know I'm not that smart and it makes me wonder about all the people out there aren't either but think they are. Sometimes I feel like I'm in a bad science fiction movie or a Twilight Zone episode where the characters are seeing something completely different from what I'm seeing but I'm powerless to do anything about it. Maybe that's a common feeling with free thinking people or people in general. I don't know. But you can imagine how psyched I am knowing there's a bunch of people I can relate to. Now I kinda get why people are so busy hammering away at their little keyboards.
03-01-2010, 08:47 PM

Rainbow RE: Hi, I'm Mina =D
I do agree about belief in the most likely explainations. As for extra-terrestrials, I believe that there is most likely aliens out there in the universe. (my friend burgos, whom I reffered to this site last night is really big on the alien scene).
And as for admitting that you aren't smart, that is the first step to wisdom... realizing you know very little opens your mind up to learn anything. This is why theists have their view of the world distorted: their religion explains everything, and they are close-minded and even hateful of science. It is sad, but at the same time, I feel "blessed" that I can see things in the ways that I do. I feel like I look down on religious people- as if they are children playing their imagination games. I feel more detatched from those people because I watch them go about their lives, orient their lives around their deities and I look at it in the same way we look at ants... (ants only see in 2 dimensions, by the way). I guess I am saying that by accepting that I am nothing more than an animal, I have become more civilized.
And part of the reason why religious people refuse to even consider atheism conscioussly or unconscioussly is the idea that everything about them and everything they've ever known is nothing but a blink in the eyes of the universe.
03-01-2010, 11:33 PM

Well said.
03-01-2010, 11:36 PM

Have you ever read/watched/listen to the Onion News?
04-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Welcome Mina! Now we can add another state to our collection. Soon we'll have an atheist from all fiddy!

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2010, 01:08 PM

I used to to hear excerpts or stories from the Onion News about ten years ago on the radio. As I remember it was some pretty edgy humor. What's going on there? I'm gonna look it up right now.
04-01-2010, 06:12 PM

Holy crap-- that's that's the best website on the web(The Onion News). I could spend all day looking at that. I'm glad I finally got a new computer, I've been out of it for too long.