Hi, I'm Mina =D

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2010, 02:13 AM

Rainbow RE: Hi, I'm Mina =D
I <3 the Onion

ughhh I was harrassed today at work by some bible humper. He wouldn't leave until I threatened to call the po-lice.
What happened was when he came to the counter with his purchase, he asked me what the pink triangle on my shirt meant, I told him that was the symbol for lesbianism. Then he asked me if I was religious, I said I am an Athiest, then he said it was people like me that the devil loved the most, and I said please just go, and then he told me I should stop by his church sometime and I said that he needed to leave or else I would call the police But he said "god bless you" before he left. >Sad
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2010, 04:14 AM

RE: Hi, I'm Mina =D
If it happened The way you've Described here it wasn't so much Harassment as it was an Annoyance.

An Exchange of four to five sentences is hardly call for involving the police, even as a threat. Often times when dealing with people who ask you if you are religious it's better to respond with something along the lines of "At the moment it's not important, but thank you for your concern." Partly because most people who bring it up really do mean no harm and there is no sense in getting upset over something like that, and partly because situations like work are not the best place to antagonize a customer. Outside of Work when you have the time to talk with people, sure, go wild, bring up your beliefs if you want, debate, what ever suits you.

If the church going individuals actions after a polite dismissal of their religious overtures become disruptive, interfere with other customers, or begin to imply violence, then you should be upset, but not because he was bringing up religion. I've seen people do worse than you've described over their local sports team.

It can feel condescending when people try to share with you what they believe to be right and true, but often they do this with the best intentions. As long as no harm comes from said intentions and the actions that follow there is no reason to let it mess with your calm.

Of course this individual you speak of could have been making a nuisance of himself beyond the exchange you mention. He might have been causing a scene. If this was the Case then yes you had every right to be upset and to escalate with the threat of the Authorities. I'm only writing this because what I interpreted from your post seemed like he didn't do anything wrong, just annoying.
(06-01-2010 02:13 AM)Mina_the_sinner Wrote:  ughhh I was harrassed today at work by some bible humper. He wouldn't leave until I threatened to call the po-lice.
What happened was when he came to the counter with his purchase, he asked me what the pink triangle on my shirt meant, I told him that was the symbol for lesbianism. Then he asked me if I was religious, I said I am an Athiest, then he said it was people like me that the devil loved the most, and I said please just go, and then he told me I should stop by his church sometime and I said that he needed to leave or else I would call the police But he said "god bless you" before he left. >Sad
06-01-2010, 09:06 AM

I walked to my car once and found a Jesus fish on my bumper. Needless to say I was pissed.
06-01-2010, 02:56 PM

I think you did the right thing. I can't stand those self-righteous cretins. Wether or not it constitutes harassment, you certainly don't have to stand by and be insulted. Maybe to some, it's not a big deal, but I find it extremely offensive when someone openly challenges my character with that kind of arrogance. It goes beyond annoying to incitement. Yeah, maybe that person is talking in a calm way with a smile, but they know they're trying to diminish your integrity. My sister on the other hand is the type of lesbian who would rip the guy a new one. I don't recommend that if you don't want any trouble. But there's nothing wrong with threatening to call the cops. And, you don't have to actually call them for that to be an effective way to move the offender along.
06-01-2010, 07:19 PM

Rainbow RE: Hi, I'm Mina =D
I agree that the cops would have probably been annoyed with my call if I actually did phone the police, but I also have to take into consideration that I live in a huge, violent city. You can't trust anybody in a big city, especially religious zealots, in fact, the ones wearing cross pendants are usually the rapists, robbers, and murderers. I had to be careful.
I respect that everybody has the right to their own beliefs, I just wanted him out of the store before it escalated into something violent. It's happened before with stupider things, like sports teams, you are right about that. Also the fact that he took off as soon as I mentioned the police revealed that he is in fact a shady person and was probably carrying. If he was just an innocent bible humper, he wouldn't have fled like a cockroach from a flashlight...
Living in a city is scary business, and I was just trying to be careful...

And Packilvania... one time, when I was still in high school, someone drew a Jesus fish on my white car with a sharpie. I found out who it was and I drew a giant penis on his Camero hehe... I know, immature, but I was 16.
06-01-2010, 08:52 PM

Ha. I must say, I try to be reasonable, and will debate anybody if they REALLY want to. When it comes to vandalism though, its eye for an eye.
06-01-2010, 10:49 PM

(06-01-2010 08:52 PM)Packilvania Wrote:  Ha. I must say, I try to be reasonable, and will debate anybody if they REALLY want to. When it comes to vandalism though, its eye for an eye.

Yeah, I think I read that in the bible.
06-01-2010, 10:53 PM

(06-01-2010 10:49 PM)Grassharpper Wrote:  
(06-01-2010 08:52 PM)Packilvania Wrote:  Ha. I must say, I try to be reasonable, and will debate anybody if they REALLY want to. When it comes to vandalism though, its eye for an eye.

Yeah, I think I read that in the bible.

It was actually the code of hammurabi, which was around before the bible, I think. I am going to look that up.
it was 1790 B.C. is when the code of Hammurabi was written and the first parts of the Old Testament was written in 1400 B.C.

when in doubt go to wiki