Hi, I'm Oaken

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2017, 08:41 PM
Hi, I'm Oaken
Was raised a Pentecostal Christian for my entire life. Tried a few times to do Bible schooling. Was deeply, deeply religious but always found myself shocked and turned off by how Christians and especially how Christian leaders acted.

I was thrown out a church years ago because I discovered my pastor was embezzling money. I ended up being homeless for four months because of it. I struggled with fitting in at church because it seemed that other pastors were either narcissists or turned a blind eye to abuse.

I spent nine months at one of the houses of Mars Hill Church in Seattle and it really started planting seeds that I was in the wrong religion. I began to watch lectures by Bart Ehrman and videos like Godstuff and slowly but surely I found myself realizing that I had been following a religion and denomination that was filled with narcissists and narcissist enablers.

I finally decided that I was an Atheist this weekend. I wish I had the decades back that I now consider wasted. However, I am glad to have finally seen the light. (pun intended)

So, Hi, and hope you all are well!

Here is the thing about potential...You either use your gift or your gift uses you. You are either a rocket or a bomb.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like Oaken's post
01-07-2017, 09:04 PM
RE: Hi, I'm Oaken
(01-07-2017 08:41 PM)Oaken Wrote:  ...
I finally decided that I was an Atheist this weekend.

Just in time for Independence Day. How appropriate.

Smile

Congratulations and welcome to TTA.

Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
01-07-2017, 09:09 PM
Huge congratulations on coming to your senses Smile Welcome to the real world, and to the forum!

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Robvalue's post
01-07-2017, 09:11 PM
Welcome!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
01-07-2017, 09:12 PM
Hello! Big Grin

And Hug
[+] 2 users Like Peebothuhul's post
01-07-2017, 10:01 PM
"Bring me a wheel of oaken wood
A rein of polished leather
A Heavy Horse and a tumbling sky
Brewing heavy weather."

Welcome, both to TTA and to a life free from the shackles of religion, better late than never!

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
01-07-2017, 10:26 PM
Hi, welcome. Shy

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
02-07-2017, 01:13 AM
G'day mate, and welcome to the forums. Smile

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
02-07-2017, 01:38 AM
Welcome.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
02-07-2017, 04:23 AM
(01-07-2017 08:41 PM)Oaken Wrote:  Was raised a Pentecostal Christian for my entire life. Tried a few times to do Bible schooling. Was deeply, deeply religious but always found myself shocked and turned off by how Christians and especially how Christian leaders acted.

I was thrown out a church years ago because I discovered my pastor was embezzling money. I ended up being homeless for four months because of it. I struggled with fitting in at church because it seemed that other pastors were either narcissists or turned a blind eye to abuse.

I spent nine months at one of the houses of Mars Hill Church in Seattle and it really started planting seeds that I was in the wrong religion. I began to watch lectures by Bart Ehrman and videos like Godstuff and slowly but surely I found myself realizing that I had been following a religion and denomination that was filled with narcissists and narcissist enablers.

I finally decided that I was an Atheist this weekend. I wish I had the decades back that I now consider wasted. However, I am glad to have finally seen the light. (pun intended)

So, Hi, and hope you all are well!

> I envy you. It took me about a decade of comparative religious study and much introspection to overcome my Catholic indoctrination and realize I was an atheist. Welcome to the forums. I look forward to reading your posts. Smile
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post