Hi, I'm Scully and I used to be a Jehovah's Witness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2013, 02:51 PM
Hi, I'm Scully and I used to be a Jehovah's Witness
Hi, I go by Scully on the internets.Blush

I've been atheist for over a decade. Prior to that I was indoctrinated into the Jehovah's Witness cult when my parents converted - I was 7 or 8 years old when they officially joined, but "studied" with the JWs for a couple of years before that. I recall the first time my family attended a JW "meeting" - I was probably about 6 years old and distinctly remember listening to the speaker talking about living forever on paradise earth, and thinking to myself "That's *never* going to happen." Before the JWs, my family wasn't particularly religious, but a cross-country move to where we had no social or family ties to speak of made my parents vulnerable to their manipulative love bombing tactics.

Growing up in a very sheltered environment like the JWs gives little perspective on what the real world is like, but we were taught that "worldly people" (anyone who wasn't a JW) were going to die when Jehovah destroyed them at Armageddon, which was - and still is! - "just around the corner". We were cautioned to avoid having close relationship with outsiders, and definitely we couldn't trust "worldly" authority figures like policemen, doctors or teachers, because they "persecuted" JWs.

Consequently we had very little contact with our non-JW relatives after that, and when we did it was always under the watchful eyes of our parents. My grandparents didn't dare make negative remarks about the JWs, because it would result in us not being able to see them for a long time.

I made friends with another awkward girl at school when I was 15 and she started asking me about what JWs believed. I was so thrilled - I thought she might potentially become a JW too - but she was an atheist, and even worse her dad was a real live Communist.Shocking I was terrified of him, because my parents warned me that they would try to brainwash me and turn me against Jehovah. They were right. But my friend's dad wasn't pushing communist propaganda on me, all he was doing was asking questions about why I believed what the JWs had taught me. "That's how Satan operated when he approached Eve in the Garden of Eden," my parents said. Still, I thought my faith was stronger than that - after all The Truth should be able to stand up to scrutiny, right?? Right?? Huh Around the same time, we were reading Orwell's _1984_ in English class, and wow, were there ever a ton of "aha!" moments where I recognized behaviours of JWs and the Watchtower Society mirrored in what I was reading about The Party and life in Oceania. Over the course of summer holidays, I came to the realization that I wanted to quit the JWs, but I had no resources to do that - I was still just a kid in high school, earning $1 an hour babysitting on weekends.

That's where I'll leave things for now... Just wanted to say hey to everyone, and thank Seth for the podcasts that I've been enjoying the last few days... I can't seem to get enough of them, I'm listening to them over and over!

. . . all the gods were stories we told the children to make them behave. ~ Thoros of Myr (Game of Thrones, Episode 3:06)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Scully's post
07-05-2013, 03:05 PM
RE: Hi, I'm Scully and I used to be a Jehovah's Witness
So, I take it, you did not want to believe, eh?

(Sorry, had to be said and got out of the way Big Grin)

Welcome and enjoy your stay. And I hope you do finish your story, you left off just when it was starting to get interesting. (We have other ex-witnesses here, btw. And some are almost okay. On their good days. Once in a while Angel )

(And, I love Orwell Thumbsup )

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
07-05-2013, 03:19 PM
Hi Shy "Believe" Laughat it or not, I'm actually interested in mythology I've never heard about before. Know all about x-tians; used to pray at the foot of my bed every night. Love the Greeks, Zues & Hades, and all them. But don't know the first thing about JW's. Don't bother telling me if it brings back bad memories; I just always want to give someone a hug when I hear they escaped whatever religion had them trapped Thumbsup And laugh with them at the equally horrendous beliefs they once had and compare them with the ones I used to have Big GrinTongue

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
07-05-2013, 03:31 PM
Welcome Smile
07-05-2013, 04:26 PM
Pull up a chair and join in! Drinking Beverage

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
07-05-2013, 05:49 PM
Welcome, Gillian. Big Grin

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
07-05-2013, 07:04 PM
(07-05-2013 03:05 PM)Vera Wrote:  Welcome and enjoy your stay. And I hope you do finish your story, you left off just when it was starting to get interesting. (We have other ex-witnesses here, btw. And some are almost okay. On their good days. Once in a while Angel )

Totally feeling the love, Vera. Dodgy

Hey Scully, welcome to the forum. I won't spoil the rest of the story, except to say that Jesus died in the end. Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 2 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
07-05-2013, 09:22 PM
(07-05-2013 07:04 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(07-05-2013 03:05 PM)Vera Wrote:  Welcome and enjoy your stay. And I hope you do finish your story, you left off just when it was starting to get interesting. (We have other ex-witnesses here, btw. And some are almost okay. On their good days. Once in a while Angel )

Totally feeling the love, Vera. Dodgy

Hey Scully, welcome to the forum. I won't spoil the rest of the story, except to say that Jesus died in the end. Big Grin

It's ok; I'm pretty sure she was refering to someone else. Wink

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
08-05-2013, 05:51 AM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2013 05:58 AM by Vera.)
(07-05-2013 07:04 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Totally feeling the love, Vera. Dodgy
Hug

(07-05-2013 09:22 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  It's ok; I'm pretty sure she was refering to someone else. Wink

Yeah, but you're wrong. So there goes your certainty out of the window. And don't even get me started on the you being pretty fallacy. Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
08-05-2013, 06:10 AM
Ahh, it never gets old. Drinking Beverage

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  G'day an ex jehovah witness here Imdefender 17 426 27-10-2013 12:56 AM
Last Post: Dark Light
  Ex-Jehovah's Witness turned non-believer valpohawkeye 10 981 11-05-2013 09:05 PM
Last Post: smidgen
  Ex-Jehovah's Witness SingingBear 14 792 07-01-2013 01:20 PM
Last Post: thewellkeptwoman