Hi, I'm Tallulah~

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-01-2015, 08:16 PM
Hi, I'm Tallulah~
Hi, I'm Tallulah~

I'm really happy to be here and hope to meet some great people, as I'm sure I will.

I was raised with Christian dogma and that was my family's particular faith. However, I'd say we were philosophical about life in general and that Christianity just happened to be something we were so accustomed to that it always factored in. 'Jesus freaks' gained popularity when I was a teenager. As hard as I tried (and I did try hard) I just could not quite grasp the 'fervor'. Yanno? As much as I liked Jesus he just could not 'get me there'. LOL.

I used to watch Jim and Tammy Bakker, Pat Robertson, Oral Roberts and Jimmy Swaggart just for entertainment. We'd laugh our butts off at these hooligans. Evil_monster But then we saw a political change where bible thumpers were taking the driver's seat. That's when I realized that things were getting pretty fvcking scary. It was time to get vocal.

The man I was married to at the time (the father of my 3 kids) was also non-theistic. He considered himself somewhat of a metaphysical guru and shunned conventional religions. I adored the occult genre, ouija boards, tarot cards, etc, but never took any of it seriously. I have a Darwin fish on my bumper as well as a sticker that says 'MY OTHER CAR IS A BROOM'. Oh! And at one time I had a sticker that said "MILITANT AGNOSTIC, I DON'T KNOW AND YOU DON'T EITHER'. I still have the Darwin fish and the broom sticker. Have had those on every car I've owned over the years. Post divorce (in 2011) I worked for a man who made mention of my bumper stickers. I (mistakenly) thought he was open minded. At one point, at a business meeting, he told me that I was a witch. To which I replied, "I'm not religious enough to be a witch."

I don't remember exactly when I was introduced to Christopher Hitchens. I'm only too sorry that I learned about him a few years after his death. It really was the Hitch who ignited my passion with regard to the subject.

I have a few internet friends in other countries where secularism/atheism is the norm. Why the US is so far behind other countries is beyond me. All I know is that we MUST be vocal about this subject and STOP capitulating to those 'holier than thou' Christians who think that just by mentioning their lord they are entitled to automatic respect. Fvck that. I'm sick of it and I am especially sick of seeing it in our politics.

Anyhoo, I just wanted to give you all a brief so you'll have some idea as to who I am.

Tallulah
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Tallulah's post
31-01-2015, 08:26 PM
RE: Hi, I'm Tallulah~
[Image: giphy_zpsty1mslou.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
31-01-2015, 08:29 PM
Welcome Tallulah!

The broom sticker is actually awesome and funny lol Big Grin hope you enjoy your stay!

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
31-01-2015, 08:48 PM
Welcome aboard.

Nice intro ... You will do well here.

Big Grin

31-01-2015, 08:50 PM
Howdy Shy
Welcome aboard!

31-01-2015, 09:32 PM
I like you already, welcome.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
31-01-2015, 10:00 PM
Hello! Big Grin
31-01-2015, 10:06 PM
Jesus freaks abound in my region. Ick.

Welcome Smile

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
01-02-2015, 01:42 AM
Welcome to TTA.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-02-2015, 04:08 AM
Hi, pleased to meet you. Love the bumper sticker story. Big Grin

Looking forward to hearing your voice around here.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.