Hi, I'm a Christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2011, 10:26 PM
Hi, I'm a Christian
I hope that won't be a problem for anyone. I'm sure we'll find that our views may differ greatly from one another, but I hope we could still get along in a civil manner. I don't intend to force my beliefs or views on anyone else (but I appologize in advance if it ever feels like I am). The Bible says that no force can seperate you from God, and likewise, I think you can't force others to be Christians. You must do so by choosing for yourself to turn towards God's love and mercy.

A little bit more about myself. I grew up in a Lutheran church. Around middle school/high school, I stopped going to church. It was then I became an atheist. Then when I was taught the Big Bang Theroy and started asking questions about it, I found it to be very flawed, leaving me with more questions then answers. At that point, I wasn't sure what to believe anymore. I guess the proper label for me then would be agnostic. My years in high school were the most miserable years of my life. It wasn't until my senoir year in high school that I started believing in God. Of course, that also brought up the question of "which religion is the correct one?" I returned to Christianity for the time being, since that's what I was most familiar with.

In college, I had some exposure to several other religions. I stayed with the Christian faith, and got invovled with some Christian groups on campus. Since then my faith in God and the Bible has just continued to increase as I see and learn more.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2011, 11:34 PM
RE: Hi, I'm a Christian
(12-11-2011 10:26 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  I hope that won't be a problem for anyone. I'm sure we'll find that our views may differ greatly from one another, but I hope we could still get along in a civil manner. I don't intend to force my beliefs or views on anyone else (but I appologize in advance if it ever feels like I am). The Bible says that no force can seperate you from God, and likewise, I think you can't force others to be Christians. You must do so by choosing for yourself to turn towards God's love and mercy.

A little bit more about myself. I grew up in a Lutheran church. Around middle school/high school, I stopped going to church. It was then I became an atheist. Then when I was taught the Big Bang Theroy and started asking questions about it, I found it to be very flawed, leaving me with more questions then answers. At that point, I wasn't sure what to believe anymore. I guess the proper label for me then would be agnostic. My years in high school were the most miserable years of my life. It wasn't until my senoir year in high school that I started believing in God. Of course, that also brought up the question of "which religion is the correct one?" I returned to Christianity for the time being, since that's what I was most familiar with.

In college, I had some exposure to several other religions. I stayed with the Christian faith, and got invovled with some Christian groups on campus. Since then my faith in God and the Bible has just continued to increase as I see and learn more.

WElcome to the group Megamaster 125.
"Belief" is not a totally clear cut option either in religion or science from a cosmic perspective. Terms such as "objectivity", "truth" "intuition" "trust" "dogma' etc muddy the waters.

Keep an open mind and good luck in your pursuits.

"An egoist is always intelligent,never wise" Raheel Farooq
12-11-2011, 11:37 PM
What part of thinking atheist don't you understand? Now I gotta go edit my post about the sheep-shearing. Jeez... Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
13-11-2011, 02:42 AM
(12-11-2011 10:26 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  I hope that won't be a problem for anyone. I'm sure we'll find that our views may differ greatly from one another, but I hope we could still get along in a civil manner. I don't intend to force my beliefs or views on anyone else (but I appologize in advance if it ever feels like I am). The Bible says that no force can seperate you from God, and likewise, I think you can't force others to be Christians. You must do so by choosing for yourself to turn towards God's love and mercy.

There's no reason to think your presence will be a problem. Everyone is welcome here who wants to engage in civil discussion. But I am curious about why a religious person chooses to join a forum called The Thinking Atheist. For my part, I can't see myself, as an atheist, joining a forum for Christian fundamentalists. Nor would I as a progressive Democrat join a Tea Party forum.

So, if you don't mind my asking, what's the point? Have you come here to learn about atheism because you're curious about it? Have you come to witness to atheists in the hopes you might help "save" a few of us? Do you feel it's your duty as a Christian to do battle with non-believers? Just wondering . . .

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 2 users Like cufflink's post
13-11-2011, 05:14 AM
Welcome.

I'm new here myself. I'm curious as to why you've joined this forum as well. Not that there is anything wrong with it.

If you've done so to learn more about atheism and the reasoning - that's great! Hopefully you will be open minded & flexible enough to absorb some of the contents.
13-11-2011, 05:29 AM (This post was last modified: 13-11-2011 05:36 AM by angry_liberal.)
Welcome. People come to this forum to discuss ideas and beliefs not force them upon other people. You explain yourself clearly so I like you already.

(12-11-2011 10:26 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  A little bit more about myself. I grew up in a Lutheran church. Around middle school/high school, I stopped going to church. It was then I became an atheist. Then when I was taught the Big Bang Theroy and started asking questions about it, I found it to be very flawed, leaving me with more questions then answers. At that point, I wasn't sure what to believe anymore.
Hmm, did you consider reading books about the Big Bang theory written by people who actually know something about it. The Big Band theory is pretty much just a statement of what has been observed. I don't think most elementary textbooks cover how it was observed. Those observations merely beg deeper questions and the theory bit really comes when people try to offer answers for those questions. This is an area of science that still contains many open questions so if you find an issue with it I don't think that can be taken as evidence for God. What issues did you have by the way?

(12-11-2011 10:26 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  I guess the proper label for me then would be agnostic. My years in high school were the most miserable years of my life.
I might deduce that the reason for your misery was not that you had left God, but that your religious upbringing had left you with a burden of unjustified guilt.

(12-11-2011 10:26 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  It wasn't until my senoir year in high school that I started believing in God. Of course, that also brought up the question of "which religion is the correct one?" I returned to Christianity for the time being, since that's what I was most familiar with.

That all raises the question: if you think one religion is true could most of them be true in some sense?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes angry_liberal's post
13-11-2011, 07:31 AM
Welcome.
although we differ in our philosophies, if you are willing to learn, there will be no problems.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
13-11-2011, 08:24 AM
(13-11-2011 02:42 AM)cufflink Wrote:  There's no reason to think your presence will be a problem. Everyone is welcome here who wants to engage in civil discussion. But I am curious about why a religious person chooses to join a forum called The Thinking Atheist. For my part, I can't see myself, as an atheist, joining a forum for Christian fundamentalists. Nor would I as a progressive Democrat join a Tea Party forum.

So, if you don't mind my asking, what's the point? Have you come here to learn about atheism because you're curious about it? Have you come to witness to atheists in the hopes you might help "save" a few of us? Do you feel it's your duty as a Christian to do battle with non-believers? Just wondering . . .

Well, I've been to another atheist forum and had to leave after a while because of how I was being harassed and such about my beliefs, including other people constantly putting words in my mouth. I would hope this wouldn't be an issue here, and if an issue does arise, I would hope we could work it out peaceably.

As for why I'm here, that's a good question. I was googling a list of Bible contradictions, as I am building a website about these contradictions, and how they're not actually contradictions, and I ended up here. I saw there was a forum, so I thought I'd sign up.

As a Christian, I would certainly like to see everyone get saved, but I'm not going to get discouraged if no one is, and as I said earlier, I'm not going to force my beliefs onto you. I may present them, but it's your call whether or not you want to follow Christ.

Aside from that, just some general discussion on whatever topics I find interest in.

(13-11-2011 05:29 AM)angry_liberal Wrote:  
(12-11-2011 10:26 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  A little bit more about myself. I grew up in a Lutheran church. Around middle school/high school, I stopped going to church. It was then I became an atheist. Then when I was taught the Big Bang Theroy and started asking questions about it, I found it to be very flawed, leaving me with more questions then answers. At that point, I wasn't sure what to believe anymore.
Hmm, did you consider reading books about the Big Bang theory written by people who actually know something about it. The Big Band theory is pretty much just a statement of what has been observed. I don't think most elementary textbooks cover how it was observed. Those observations merely beg deeper questions and the theory bit really comes when people try to offer answers for those questions. This is an area of science that still contains many open questions so if you find an issue with it I don't think that can be taken as evidence for God. What issues did you have by the way?

Oh no, I certainly didn't mean to imply that faults in the Big Bang Theory is evidence for God's existance. To answer your question when I was in high school, the teacher just sort of quickly brushed over the question of how life was formed. I'm one that isn't afraid to stop teachers and ask questions, so I asked how life was formed exactly. The response I got was, "Dust particles came together and formed the planets (ok, I can go with this). Then dust particles came together and formed life (wait, huh?)." That just didn't make sense to me whatsoever. How would you get life from no life with a bunch of non-living dust particles? Of course, I'm sure the theory has changed since that time, seeing as this event took place about 8-9 years ago.

Quote:
(12-11-2011 10:26 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  I guess the proper label for me then would be agnostic. My years in high school were the most miserable years of my life.
I might deduce that the reason for your misery was not that you had left God, but that your religious upbringing had left you with a burden of unjustified guilt.

Nah. I wasn't a believer at the time, so religion had no influence on me. My years in high school were miserable for a multitude of reasons. But looking back now, I wish I had been a Christian back then. I'll give you a quick example. I used to hate being touched in any way (in high school). Even just someone putting their arm around my shoulders would be enough for me to turn violent. And I certainly wouldn't accept any hugs, especially from other guys (I would think that's gay, etc.). Of course, my senior year when I started believing in God again, things didn't immediately change. It wasn't until my 4th year of college and a mission trip sponsored by a Christian organization that changed me. It was during that trip I had a rather... unusual and unique experience. I won't get into the details here, since some of this involve some spiritual things that I'm not sure everyone would understand. Heck, I don't know if I fully understand or can explain it well. But I do know this. It was an overnight change for me, and suddenly I liked hugging my friends instead of hating it. I enjoy the person I am now as opposed to who I once was in high school.

Quote:That all raises the question: if you think one religion is true could most of them be true in some sense?

Well, it depends what truths we're talking about. I can't really get more specific on this right now, because you question is quite broad. Statements about the history behind a religion and how it came about, well yeah, I'd say that history is (for the most part) true. Statements that are found in most religions such as "love your neighbor as yourself," I'd agree with.
13-11-2011, 09:56 AM
There are many recovering christians here. Don't molest them and you'll be fine.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
13-11-2011, 10:13 AM (This post was last modified: 13-11-2011 02:13 PM by kim.)
Ok... this is not working.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.