Hi, I'm a Christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-11-2011, 05:59 PM

RE: Hi, I'm a Christian
(13-11-2011 08:24 AM)megamaster125 Wrote:  Oh no, I certainly didn't mean to imply that faults in the Big Bang Theory is evidence for God's existance. To answer your question when I was in high school, the teacher just sort of quickly brushed over the question of how life was formed. I'm one that isn't afraid to stop teachers and ask questions, so I asked how life was formed exactly. The response I got was, "Dust particles came together and formed the planets (ok, I can go with this). Then dust particles came together and formed life (wait, huh?)." That just didn't make sense to me whatsoever. How would you get life from no life with a bunch of non-living dust particles? Of course, I'm sure the theory has changed since that time, seeing as this event took place about 8-9 years ago.

Science doesn't really have a clear answer to how life started. We have a lot of observations. A lot of things that we know to be true, just no real idea on how it all fits together yet.

One thing that we do know is that when a sun explodes at the end of its life, it spews forth all the components that make life possible. Combine that with the right environment, the basic laws of nature and time to evolve, and you have life.

Your teacher may have been a bit vague, but she was essentially right. The universe, by the very laws that make it up, is surprisingly useful for creating life.
Quote this message in a reply
13-11-2011, 09:53 PM
(13-11-2011 02:59 PM)free2011 Wrote:  I'm glad you've decided to join TTA forum. If you're up for it I'm certain there will be many questions for you. I for one am curious what piece or pieces of evidence made you start to believe in a God?

I love getting questions, it shows me that people are curious about either Christianity in general or my own personal Christian walk. It's nice to have forums and chat rooms on the internet where people are more open and willing to discuss these things, as opposed to a face to face conversation where I almost never get asked this sort of stuff.

To answer your question, it wasn't really any sort of evidence that I could show you. It falls along the lines of personal experience (which I understand can't really be proven, or disproven for that matter). Basically, I had an event happen to me that just seemed like a mere coincidence at first. The event was nothing super-significant or special, in fact it sounds a bit silly if I go into details, but I can do that if you like. It wasn't that this event just happened to me once or twice, this event must have happened to me at least 80-100 times, or more (I wasn't keeping an exact record). It got to the point where I sat down and tried to figure this out, and why this kept happening to me. There were two choices for me, coincidence, or some supernatural power was at work. The event happened so much, that I just couldn't call it a coincidence anymore, so that just left me with one other choice.

(13-11-2011 05:33 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Hey, you sound a lot like me ... I mean except for that whole part about returning to believing in God in your senior year in High School.

I would hope you are nothing like I was in high school. I was as much of a lone wolf as you could possibly get. I had a small group of friends that got smaller over time, and I had no interest in making new friends. There were people that would try talking to me, and they were being nice. I ignored them completely, didn't even say a word to them. If I did ever speak to them, it was something nasty and threatening. For instance, one guy was talking to someone else at the table (a couple people that were always trying to be nice to me), and he said that he wanted to hug me, but was afraid of what I would do. I turned to him, called him gay, and told him I'd rearrange his face if he touched me. I was not interested in petty hellos and such. Ironically enough, in a sick and twisted way, what I wanted was a close friend that I could hug, because I saw other people hugging their friends and having close friends, and I was jealous of this, but I never let anyone get that close. What I desperately wanted was for someone to invite me to hang out some time and place outside of school, so that I knew they actually wanted to be around me, instead of just being nice to me because we happened to be in the same class for an hour a day.

I would get bullied, but generally not by the same person more than once. People that didn't know learned really quickly not to mess with me. I'm certainly not that big or strong, but I knew how to hurt people, and I wouldn't fight fairly either. Low blows, cheap shots, attacking from behind, using weapons, all things I wasn't afraid of doing. And when I say weapons, I don't mean guns or knives, I didn't need those. I could turn just about any given object into a weapon, pens, pencils, chairs, walls, lockers, etc. I wouldn't stop when they were begging, I'd stop when I felt satisfied, and when I felt they weren't going to mess with me again. They would usually become afraid of me, to the point where if I heard them saying something about me from another table, I could give them that cold-hearted "I'm plotting something against you" stare and have them completely paranoid and freaked out within minutes.

So yeah, I hope you're nothing like the person I was in high school. I wake up every day and I'm glad I'm no longer that person whatsoever.

Quote:
(12-11-2011 10:26 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  Around middle school/high school, I stopped going to church. It was then I became an atheist.

Not going to church is neither a necessary nor sufficient condition for being either an atheist or an agnostic.

Oh no, it wasn't like an overnight change or anything. I stopped going to church in the 8th grade. It was more of a gradual drifting away over 6-8 months, give or take.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2011, 02:47 PM (This post was last modified: 14-11-2011 04:18 PM by kim.)
(13-11-2011 08:24 AM)megamaster125 Wrote:  When I was in high school, the teacher just sort of quickly brushed over the question of how life was formed. I'm one that isn't afraid to stop teachers and ask questions, so I asked how life was formed exactly. The response I got was, "Dust particles came together and formed the planets (ok, I can go with this). Then dust particles came together and formed life (wait, huh?)." That just didn't make sense to me whatsoever. How would you get life from no life with a bunch of non-living dust particles? Of course, I'm sure the theory has changed since that time, seeing as this event took place about 8-9 years ago.

Depends on what kind of dust you are talking about... dust... to dust...

Dodgy The Greek philosophers introduced "particulate theory of matter" which put forth the notion that matter was a term for discrete building blocks of life. Through the centuries of discovery, finer structures for matter were discovered - objects are made of molecules… which consist of atoms, which consist of interacting subatomic particles like protons and electrons.… we might be getting close to that dust you considered non-living. Angel

Different fields use the term in different ways and many times these ways can seem incompatible -there is no single agreed scientific word for matter.

If you are talking about mass or matter…. typically matter includes atoms and other particles which have mass. A way to define matter is anything that has mass and occupies volume.

Matter is commonly said to exist in four states or phases: solid, liquid, gas, and plasma. However, advances in experimental techniques have realized other phases. An elementary-particle view of matter also leads to new phases of matter -like quark-gluon plasma. Tongue

In physics and chemistry, matter exhibits both wave-like and particle-like properties, -wave-particle duality.

In cosmology, extensions of the term matter come into play with the discussions of dark matter and dark energy -these explain some odd phenomena of the universe -we've recently seen photographs of a ring of dark matter (very cool) -there is also galactic rotation curve phenomena… these are exotic forms of matter in the observable universe. Tasty. Shy

I'm speaking very elementarily about all this of course…. so far, we are able to observe that the universe is made of twelve particles of matter which interact with four forces of nature …. as are you. Blush

... and there's so much more .... but .... you chose to stop thinking about ... dust...

Heart The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it but the way those atoms are put together. The cosmos is also within us -we're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself. ~ Carl Sagan

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
14-11-2011, 02:53 PM

All of us here, most likely are not Christians.
But, I'm sure that there are a great number of Christians on here.
Most of them, hiding behind a cloak.

We --or at least I-- don't judge.

Welcome to TTA Smile
Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2011, 04:12 PM
Welcome to the TTA forums. Smile

Kim, I think it's not working because you have open quote tags that are not closed. I had that problem in another thread- close out all of your open quotes with a [/quote] and it should work.
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
14-11-2011, 04:22 PM
(14-11-2011 04:12 PM)kineo Wrote:  Welcome to the TTA forums. Smile

Kim, I think it's not working because you have open quote tags that are not closed. I had that problem in another thread- close out all of your open quotes with a
and it should work.
[/quote]

Smile You are so right!! I had copied it a couple of times and one of the quote tags was lost in the process. Damn... I had to work to find that one -I need to start proofreading better!! Dodgy

Heart Thank you!!

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
14-11-2011, 05:50 PM
(13-11-2011 09:53 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  
(13-11-2011 05:33 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Hey, you sound a lot like me ... I mean except for that whole part about returning to believing in God in your senior year in High School.

I would hope you are nothing like I was in high school. ... So yeah, I hope you're nothing like the person I was in high school. I wake up every day and I'm glad I'm no longer that person whatsoever.

So you came to Christ by way of Asshole Alley. Sounds vaguely familiar. ... Ah, I remember now. .... So what happened on your road to Damascus to cause you to change your name from Saul to Paul?

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
14-11-2011, 05:54 PM
(14-11-2011 04:22 PM)kim Wrote:  
(14-11-2011 04:12 PM)kineo Wrote:  Welcome to the TTA forums. Smile

Kim, I think it's not working because you have open quote tags that are not closed. I had that problem in another thread- close out all of your open quotes with a
and it should work.

Smile You are so right!! I had copied it a couple of times and one of the quote tags was lost in the process. Damn... I had to work to find that one -I need to start proofreading better!! Dodgy

Heart Thank you!!
[/quote]

No problem! Smile
14-11-2011, 05:54 PM
(14-11-2011 05:50 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(13-11-2011 09:53 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  

I would hope you are nothing like I was in high school. ... So yeah, I hope you're nothing like the person I was in high school. I wake up every day and I'm glad I'm no longer that person whatsoever.

So you came to Christ by way of Asshole Alley. Sounds vaguely familiar. ... Ah, I remember now. .... So what happened on your road to Damascus to cause you to change your name from Saul to Paul?

Nah, that's not what happened. I didn't come to believe in God because I was a big jerk. I already discussed that topic actually, somewhere in this topic...
14-11-2011, 06:44 PM
You're alright. Stick around and don't take shit personally. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post