Hi, I'm a Christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2011, 07:15 PM
RE: Hi, I'm a Christian
(13-11-2011 09:53 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  
(13-11-2011 02:59 PM)free2011 Wrote:  I'm glad you've decided to join TTA forum. If you're up for it I'm certain there will be many questions for you. I for one am curious what piece or pieces of evidence made you start to believe in a God?

I love getting questions, it shows me that people are curious about either Christianity in general or my own personal Christian walk. It's nice to have forums and chat rooms on the internet where people are more open and willing to discuss these things, as opposed to a face to face conversation where I almost never get asked this sort of stuff.

To answer your question, it wasn't really any sort of evidence that I could show you. It falls along the lines of personal experience (which I understand can't really be proven, or disproven for that matter). Basically, I had an event happen to me that just seemed like a mere coincidence at first. The event was nothing super-significant or special, in fact it sounds a bit silly if I go into details, but I can do that if you like. It wasn't that this event just happened to me once or twice, this event must have happened to me at least 80-100 times, or more (I wasn't keeping an exact record). It got to the point where I sat down and tried to figure this out, and why this kept happening to me. There were two choices for me, coincidence, or some supernatural power was at work. The event happened so much, that I just couldn't call it a coincidence anymore, so that just left me with one other choice.

Okay, I have to know what the events were that were so significant it turned you to religion
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2011, 07:50 PM
(14-11-2011 07:15 PM)free2011 Wrote:  Okay, I have to know what the events were that were so significant it turned you to religion

Well like I said, it wasn't anything that significant. It's not something that's going to be a massive wow to you or anything. You won't be amazed by it or anything close, so please don't get your hopes up. You will be dissapointed if you have high expectations of these events.

But I suppose a good question to ask would be, why did I go back to Christianity and not something else? Well, Christianity is what I was familiar with at the time, but I cetainly didn't have the faith then that I have now. I did do some learning about a few other religions. The more I learned though, the more I just found Christianity to be the most correct, so to say. And the more I keep learning, even now, the more I see the Bible verified, then more faith I have in the Christian God and the Bible.
14-11-2011, 08:25 PM
Now you've got me curious. What other religions did you look into and how deeply down the rabbit hole did you look. I also looked into other religions during my youth hoping to find answers to my questions. I never found any.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-11-2011, 09:03 PM
(14-11-2011 07:50 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  Well like I said, it wasn't anything that significant. It's not something that's going to be a massive wow to you or anything. You won't be amazed by it or anything close, so please don't get your hopes up. You will be dissapointed if you have high expectations of these events.

My expectation is I will dismiss these events out of hand. So bring them.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
14-11-2011, 10:12 PM
(14-11-2011 08:25 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Now you've got me curious. What other religions did you look into and how deeply down the rabbit hole did you look. I also looked into other religions during my youth hoping to find answers to my questions. I never found any.

Well, I have had some knowledge of Islam (though admittedly not much), and if you want to count greek mythology for anything. Aside from that, I had a yoga course in college, and to my surprise I found out it's a religion, a form of Hinduism. Their religious book, The Wisdom of Yoga, was a required read for the course, so I learned a lot about that. But I can save you guys the trouble of reading it, the whole book is about one person talking with that god.

(14-11-2011 09:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(14-11-2011 07:50 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  Well like I said, it wasn't anything that significant. It's not something that's going to be a massive wow to you or anything. You won't be amazed by it or anything close, so please don't get your hopes up. You will be dissapointed if you have high expectations of these events.

If you're already dismissing the events beforehand, why would I want to bring them?
14-11-2011, 10:42 PM
(14-11-2011 10:12 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  
(14-11-2011 08:25 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Now you've got me curious. What other religions did you look into and how deeply down the rabbit hole did you look. I also looked into other religions during my youth hoping to find answers to my questions. I never found any.

Well, I have had some knowledge of Islam (though admittedly not much), and if you want to count greek mythology for anything. Aside from that, I had a yoga course in college, and to my surprise I found out it's a religion, a form of Hinduism. Their religious book, The Wisdom of Yoga, was a required read for the course, so I learned a lot about that. But I can save you guys the trouble of reading it, the whole book is about one person talking with that god.

(14-11-2011 09:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

If you're already dismissing the events beforehand, why would I want to bring them?

To further verify my expectations.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
14-11-2011, 11:28 PM
(14-11-2011 10:42 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  To further verify my expectations.
There's an atheist.

That's that science stuff you were so dismissive of earlier. Guy has a solid theory based on life experience plus the wisdom to know that his theory is not incorrect; that further life experience brings only greater completeness.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
15-11-2011, 03:26 AM
(14-11-2011 07:50 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  
(14-11-2011 07:15 PM)free2011 Wrote:  Okay, I have to know what the events were that were so significant it turned you to religion

Well like I said, it wasn't anything that significant. It's not something that's going to be a massive wow to you or anything. You won't be amazed by it or anything close, so please don't get your hopes up. You will be dissapointed if you have high expectations of these events.

But I suppose a good question to ask would be, why did I go back to Christianity and not something else? Well, Christianity is what I was familiar with at the time, but I cetainly didn't have the faith then that I have now. I did do some learning about a few other religions. The more I learned though, the more I just found Christianity to be the most correct, so to say. And the more I keep learning, even now, the more I see the Bible verified, then more faith I have in the Christian God and the Bible.

The problem you will find here is in the name, "The Thinking Atheist". Most of us are atheists because we can't believe in something just because it makes us feel good. We really need evidence. You said something happened 80 to 100 times. That sounds like pretty good making of evidence. So tell me what happened ?
15-11-2011, 07:30 AM
[Image: 25yuswsw28295.gif]

No, seriously, welcome to the forum. Just make sure you don't come up with silly arguments. I ty to avoid debating religious peope when I feel they start filtering out logic and reason. So, if you have any questions, whatever the subject, go ahead and ask them. If you have good or fun ideas, be sure to share. If you start pointing out my sinful nature, I will act as if you were gum on the soles of my shoes. Have fun! Big Grin

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
[+] 1 user Likes Thammuz's post
15-11-2011, 08:00 AM
It sounds to me like you had questions about reality, didn't understand the science, and instead of doing the intellectual work of learning and understanding, you fell back on faith - the easy answer.
Instead of spending your time and effort learning about a holy book and its myths and contradictions, I suggest you do some honest work on learning about the real world.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post