Hi, I'm a Christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-11-2011, 11:16 AM
RE: Hi, I'm a Christian
Sorry to interject here but the story of the Xbox game was very clearly used as an example. To illustrate the obvious imbalance in the choice a god would have made to choose supporting something as silly as a card game over using that power to help someone really needing it.

Ok carry on.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
16-11-2011, 11:17 AM
(16-11-2011 11:16 AM)lucradis Wrote:  Sorry to interject here but the story of the Xbox game was very clearly used as an example. To illustrate the obvious imbalance in the choice a god would have made to choose supporting something as silly as a card game over using that power to help someone really needing it.

Ok carry on.

Wait, what? God didn't choose to buy the xbox game, the person did.

Better is one day in Your courts, better is one day in Your house,
Better is one day in Your courts, than thousands elsewhere.
Find all posts by this user
16-11-2011, 11:46 AM
(16-11-2011 11:17 AM)megamaster125 Wrote:  Wait, what? God didn't choose to buy the xbox game, the person did.

This is the XBox parable. It is about choice.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
16-11-2011, 11:49 AM
I'm.... Ok. So I'll try once more. It's not a story about god and I'd even go so far as to doubt it truth at all. See it is used to illustrate a point. The point being that this person (or god) had the power to do something good (in gods case save someone from suffering, in the posters case to donate money to charity) but instead chose to do something rather frivolous with that power (gods case, to help you win at yugioh, posters case was to buy the videogame) thereby showing a bias.

Thus one is rather safe to assume that this particular god does not have people's best interests in mind and to some may seem less than worthy of worship. Or in the story it shows that while the poster may have made heir kid happy by getting them the game they allowed someone they were aware of continue suffering in some horrible and real way just so the kid could play some dumb game.

The story was there to show some real world
Perspective. Not to remind everyone of free will. That wouldn't make any sense within the confines of the previous posts.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
16-11-2011, 12:00 PM
(16-11-2011 11:49 AM)lucradis Wrote:  I'm.... Ok. So I'll try once more. It's not a story about god and I'd even go so far as to doubt it truth at all. See it is used to illustrate a point. The point being that this person (or god) had the power to do something good (in gods case save someone from suffering, in the posters case to donate money to charity) but instead chose to do something rather frivolous with that power (gods case, to help you win at yugioh, posters case was to buy the videogame) thereby showing a bias.

But this is where I don't follow with your logic. The person is the one chosing to buy the video game, is he not? I don't see God's role in this person's choice to buy a video game, at all. God is bad because he allows people to make their own choices, is this what you're getting at?

Quote:Thus one is rather safe to assume that this particular god does not have people's best interests in mind and to some may seem less than worthy of worship. Or in the story it shows that while the poster may have made heir kid happy by getting them the game they allowed someone they were aware of continue suffering in some horrible and real way just so the kid could play some dumb game.

As far as my yugioh experience goes, don't you think God would need me to believe in Him before God can do anything else with me? It seems to me that belief in God has to take place before God can send me on any sort of mission trips.

Quote:The story was there to show some real world
Perspective. Not to remind everyone of free will. That wouldn't make any sense within the confines of the previous posts.

Yeah, the story of the real world perspective shows that the person chose to buy an xbox game instead of donating that money to the poor. I don't see how this person's choice makes God evil, I'm not making that connection.

Better is one day in Your courts, better is one day in Your house,
Better is one day in Your courts, than thousands elsewhere.
16-11-2011, 12:12 PM
Ok now I have to question whether you are being willfully dense or not. If you're not than I must apologize. Either way I don't think me and you can continue any sort of discussion. I hope you enjoy the rest of your time here.

[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
16-11-2011, 12:17 PM
(16-11-2011 12:00 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  Yeah, the story of the real world perspective shows that the person chose to buy an xbox game instead of donating that money to the poor. I don't see how this person's choice makes God evil, I'm not making that connection.

IT'S A PARABLE, YOU FUCKING MORON!

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
16-11-2011, 01:12 PM
(16-11-2011 12:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-11-2011 12:00 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  Yeah, the story of the real world perspective shows that the person chose to buy an xbox game instead of donating that money to the poor. I don't see how this person's choice makes God evil, I'm not making that connection.

IT'S A PARABLE, YOU FUCKING MORON!

Took the words, and emotion, right out of my mouth.

I have come to believe that Mega has cleverly disguised himself as a theist to prove a point that no matter what evidence and logic you use believers can't or won't get it. Well done Mega, you have succeeded
[+] 1 user Likes free2011's post
16-11-2011, 06:39 PM
(16-11-2011 12:00 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  But this is where I don't follow with your logic.

Not particularly surprising at this point in the conversation.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
16-11-2011, 07:48 PM
(15-11-2011 09:23 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  You seem to care a lot about the starving people in the world. If you don't mind me asking, what are you doing about that problem?

As far as my view on the starving people in the world (aside from any donations I may give), perhaps this catchy song can give you an idea.

Shot yourself in the foot right there, megamix. I seem to remember something about "not rattling the coins when you put 'em in the collection plate..." one of them parable thingies.

I'm an atheist; I don't have such restriction. I do the right thing. Consume less. Make nine bucks a day, gave ten away this day for love.

And if that jam is "catchy," good thing I had my booster shot of industrial metal today. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post