Hi, I'm a Tea Partier

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-01-2011, 01:50 PM

RE: Hi, I'm a Tea Partier
I hate (for lack of a better word) it when people prop up their comedic heroes for president (not suggesting that you people were being serious). People like Jon Stewart, Colbert (despite the fact that he actually ran), and Maher are NOT qualified leaders. They may be intelligent, and funny, but that alone is not enough to lead the most powerful nation on earth.

And of course, worst of all, are those people who prop up Carlin when he was alive for president. They clearly don't understand the notion that he was so anti-system that he wouldn't mind seeing it all burn to the ground (and in fact was counting on it) if he got a laugh out of it.
Quote this message in a reply
14-01-2011, 08:59 AM

(11-01-2011 01:50 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  I hate (for lack of a better word) it when people prop up their comedic heroes for president (not suggesting that you people were being serious). People like Jon Stewart, Colbert (despite the fact that he actually ran), and Maher are NOT qualified leaders. They may be intelligent, and funny, but that alone is not enough to lead the most powerful nation on earth.

And of course, worst of all, are those people who prop up Carlin when he was alive for president. They clearly don't understand the notion that he was so anti-system that he wouldn't mind seeing it all burn to the ground (and in fact was counting on it) if he got a laugh out of it.

you forgot to include palin, beck and rush in your list... pat paulson would have been better at the job then any of these 3.
14-01-2011, 11:16 AM

I don't really find that Bill Mahar gets into trouble in his debates. He's had all sorts of guests on his show from the left and the right and I think he often responds quite well. There are times when people say something ridiculous and he looks at them with the "wtf did you just say?" kind of stare, but I don't think it's because he's not prepared, just dumbfounded.

Of course I don't think he'll be suited for president, he's an entertainer and a bit too extreme to be bi-partisan, but I do agree with most of his points: Anti-religion, pro-freedom, ending the stupid drug war, etc. His views on the issues are similar to my own. Jon Stuart on the other hand, I think he's a very smart guy and I think he could do a better job than some of our recent presidents. He's not a politician obviously, so considering that as a reality is just for speculation, but if he was dedicated and ran, I'd vote for him.
14-01-2011, 12:12 PM

(14-01-2011 11:16 AM)Dbutz Wrote:  I don't really find that Bill Mahar gets into trouble in his debates. He's had all sorts of guests on his show from the left and the right and I think he often responds quite well. There are times when people say something ridiculous and he looks at them with the "wtf did you just say?" kind of stare, but I don't think it's because he's not prepared, just dumbfounded.

Of course I don't think he'll be suited for president, he's an entertainer and a bit too extreme to be bi-partisan, but I do agree with most of his points: Anti-religion, pro-freedom, ending the stupid drug war, etc. His views on the issues are similar to my own. Jon Stuart on the other hand, I think he's a very smart guy and I think he could do a better job than some of our recent presidents. He's not a politician obviously, so considering that as a reality is just for speculation, but if he was dedicated and ran, I'd vote for him.

Al Franken for VP??? Smile
28-01-2011, 01:35 PM
I'm a Tea Party member as well. Watching media stumble all over themselves to apply a label or narrative is amusing. As someone who didn't get into protesting until the Iraq war I can say it is interesting to see how the American public gets fed sound bites and edited (to express the reporters opinion) cliff notes on a large group of people. These are the same people who decry stereotypes and bigotry yet swim in it when it suites their worldview.

Liberty loving, gun owning Atheist. Don't worry it confuses the right as well.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-01-2011, 03:11 PM
(28-01-2011 01:35 PM)aesirus Wrote:  I'm a Tea Party member as well. Watching media stumble all over themselves to apply a label or narrative is amusing. As someone who didn't get into protesting until the Iraq war I can say it is interesting to see how the American public gets fed sound bites and edited (to express the reporters opinion) cliff notes on a large group of people. These are the same people who decry stereotypes and bigotry yet swim in it when it suites their worldview.
Out of honest curiosity, who does a conservative atheist support politically? Watching FOX news channel or visiting sites like conservapedia, whenever atheism comes up, I never see anything good or even neutral said, in fact quite the opposite normally. And watching the Beck's, O'Reilly's and Palins attempt to shove christianity down America's throat is extremely alienating to me, even apart from the other ideological differences. Every serious conservative presidential front-runner seems to be using some type of Dark Ages-esque argument regarding divine right and/or other equally "religulous" statement of faith. So my question is do you just swallow the good with the bad and support one of the frontrunners on the right? Or are there rogues out there on the conservative side that aren't so divisive on the religious issue that you support?
29-01-2011, 03:19 PM
Generally Libertarian candidates. I watch FOX news for comedy. The problem is that people see Beck, O'Reilly, and Palin as representative as Conservatism. Sadly, it's continued by other conservatives as well. I'm more along the lines of an Adam Kokesh conservative with a dash of Ron Paul. Conservatism doesn't really need everyone to get along. And often there is disagreement, I mainly disagree with the religious right who are really no different than the left in wanting government to regulate behavior.
There's more but I'm off to work.
Just try to realize that there is generally more to issues than the cardboard cut outs that MSNBC and FOX present. It's easy to label people into groups so you don't actually have to listen to their viewpoint. Maybe it's human nature to do this; I know I'm guilty at times of doing it. But feel free to call me out on it. I try very hard to weigh each argument. Unless it's for god; folks lost that argument a long time ago. Wink

29-01-2011, 03:33 PM
(29-01-2011 03:19 PM)aesirus Wrote:  Generally Libertarian candidates. I watch FOX news for comedy. The problem is that people see Beck, O'Reilly, and Palin as representative as Conservatism. Sadly, it's continued by other conservatives as well. I'm more along the lines of an Adam Kokesh conservative with a dash of Ron Paul. Conservatism doesn't really need everyone to get along. And often there is disagreement, I mainly disagree with the religious right who are really no different than the left in wanting government to regulate behavior.
There's more but I'm off to work.
Just try to realize that there is generally more to issues than the cardboard cut outs that MSNBC and FOX present. It's easy to label people into groups so you don't actually have to listen to their viewpoint. Maybe it's human nature to do this; I know I'm guilty at times of doing it. But feel free to call me out on it. I try very hard to weigh each argument. Unless it's for god; folks lost that argument a long time ago. Wink
As far as the viewpoint goes, I'm very interested in everyone's viewpoint, that's why I asked for yours. I find the philosophies of beliefs and politics to be intensely interesting, I engage as many people into conversation about them as possible (as long as they seem like they can offer rational conversation and not screaming matches and condescension). The labeling issue is a sad one, but I conform to it because if we are honest with ourselves, we will find that it is near impossible to avoid. I myself am a moderate-lefty, and I find that the average American usually is moderate with leanings one way or the other. Its the people who get all the attention either politically or in the media that are on the extreme of one side or the other. But overall, I find your views to be starkly similar to those of a good friend and former co-worker of mine. He is a Ron Paul style libertarian and helped me understand the libertarian viewpoint a little better a few years back. His one difference from your viewpoint is he felt that the tea party had been hijacked by extremists. We had many discussions on how much more efficiently this country would run if we could acknowledge and debate differences without mud-slinging, and if more people on both sides of the spectrum realized that the best political system is one that borrows and integrates ideas from varied sources, not just swinging like a pendulum back and forth from right to left.
But anywho, nice talk, welcome to the forum Smile
30-01-2011, 01:43 AM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2011 01:48 AM by aesirus.)
I side with your friend. I also believe the Tea Party is being hijacked by extremists. I'm not quite ready to give up yet as most people don't realize that there are different versions of the Tea Party. Such as the Tea Party Express, which is wholly run by the GOP. If I had to more accurately describe myself with labels I'd say fiscally conservative and socially liberal. Which seems to fit with the Libertarian viewpoint. I think the Government should absolutely stay out of peoples lives. Whether it is taxation, or regulation. Government should be an afterthought and have as little impact on peoples lives as possible. This includes gun regulation, marriage regulation, drug regulation, and just about any other regulation.

I'm pretty sure this has been posted before but my view is that Government is force.

Liberty Explained

30-01-2011, 06:01 AM
"In the social sciences, a state is the compulsory political institution of a centralized government that maintains a monopoly of the legitimate use of force within a certain territory."

It is about force , but depends in what context it is used.When it comes to nation states , sadly might makes right.A peaceful nation like Tibet get occupied by the People's Republic of China.Force is a necessary evil for nations(not states) to survive , whether it is economic , politic or military.

What do you mean by taxation and regulation ? What taxes and rules are you uncomfortable with ?

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin