Hi, I'm a Tea Partier

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2011, 08:53 AM
RE: Hi, I'm a Tea Partier
(30-01-2011 01:43 AM)aesirus Wrote:  I also believe the Tea Party is being hijacked by extremists.

I think we are waaaaaaaaaaaay past is being hijacked. We are well into the phase of has been hijacked. And, not just by the extremes, but by a variety of money making and political opportunists like Faux News and Sara Palin. And, most of the tea party movement has been funded by the Koch brothers who, I assure you, do not have the view of liberty that you have. They may not have originated the idea, but they have been the driving force behind the money that has supported the movement, and nothing corrupts faster than money.

Kind of a shame, because the idea of a political party built on the concepts of fiscal responsibility and personal accountability was very appealing. Shame it lasted about a week before the worst elements took it over.

Now, all that said, I know there are still a few independent bodies out there that identify as "tea parties" who are reasonably true to the original idea. I don't agree with those groups on every issue but I absolutely respect what they stand for and what they are trying to do. They are few and far between but if they could get a candidate on a ballet for any level of office in my district, I'd vote for them in a heart beat. I routinely vote for 3rd party candidates, not because I expect them to win but because I can't not vote but I despise both the Demo-rats and the Suck-puplicans and avoid voting for them at all costs. I did vote for Obama in 2008 and I have not been able to wash the taint off me since then.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2011, 09:13 AM
(30-01-2011 01:43 AM)aesirus Wrote:  I'm pretty sure this has been posted before but my view is that Government is force.

Liberty Explained
This can most certainly be argued, and may even be the case today, but it wasn't always. I honestly believe if people valued education and personal responsibility more we might go back to a day when government was a social contract. I'm not against taxation at all. It pays for the beginnings of the education I hold so dear. We also get a nice fire department, and as much of a pain as cops can be sometimes, it is nice to have LE around when you need them. I think we should all be made aware of what our taxes are going for, because they can be misdirected into less than savory usage, but the last time someone tried to open up the dealings of the American government to the public, the people tried to find a crime to charge Mr. Julian Assange with. (Anyone know how that's going for him?)
As far as regulation, I can't support a blanket statement against that either. It may go a little overboard sometimes, and I am against the criminalization of weed, but it's nice that we don't live in an anarchist state. I like NOT fighting for my life everyday. I like assuming that when I wake up in the morning, my car will still be there because regulations are in place that punish thieves.
With that said, the I agree government does need to get out of our lives a little bit. No more spying on us. I recently signed a petition asking Congress not to renew the patriot act. No more telling us who can marry and who can't. That one especially burns me.
30-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Those things you mentioned can be handled at a local level. I'd prefer my tax money be spent locally. It won't stop corruption but it's easier to keep an eye on than a nebulous federal bureaucracy.

Liberty loving, gun owning Atheist. Don't worry it confuses the right as well.
30-01-2011, 11:52 AM

(30-01-2011 11:35 AM)aesirus Wrote:  Those things you mentioned can be handled at a local level. I'd prefer my tax money be spent locally. It won't stop corruption but it's easier to keep an eye on than a nebulous federal bureaucracy.

tell the people of Bell California that... see what they think. some things we need to do together as a nation.... schools, roads, bridges , protection from enemies both foreign and domestic, protect our food and water supply... and protect us from predatory greedy companies that often put profit way before people....
Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2011, 02:23 PM
(30-01-2011 11:35 AM)aesirus Wrote:  Those things you mentioned can be handled at a local level. I'd prefer my tax money be spent locally. It won't stop corruption but it's easier to keep an eye on than a nebulous federal bureaucracy.
If we do everything on a loocal level do westill have United States? And why would we need to?
30-01-2011, 02:39 PM
I think the big issue is the duplicity and waste. For example, why do we have a Federal Department of Education? What value do they bring? They don't set curriculum, train teachers, provide buying power for text books, or interact with students. Aside from mandating standardized tests, what possible value is there and why do we shell out so many millions of tax payer dollars to support them?

There are absolutely things that should be managed at the federal level, but issues that are clearly local issues should not be duplicated with federal tax dollars. It's a huge drain on us.

Of course, all these small programs that people complain about are a drop in the bucket when you look at all the non-discretionary and military spending. Until we get our arms around those, the rest of it is just noise. Still, I'd like to see them make some cuts to the discretionary spending if only to get it down to a lowel level of fiscal insanity.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
30-01-2011, 02:40 PM
National defense, which honestly could be handled by local armed forces as well, immigration, and international trade. Although, I am just fine with "these" United States.

30-01-2011, 05:32 PM
(30-01-2011 02:40 PM)aesirus Wrote:  National defense, which honestly could be handled by local armed forces as well, immigration, and international trade. Although, I am just fine with "these" United States.
Nattional defense taken over by the individual states is an extremely interesting idea I hadn'tt thought of. It would take some different training in order for each state's forces to be able to cooperate if need be, but I like the idea. Especially if it meant a more isolationist take, pulling our troops home and refraining from wannabe-cowboys starting holy wars. This is an idea my friend and I had not previously discussed, I will contemplate it more.
30-01-2011, 07:34 PM
I agree. Way too many wars. I'm not for strict isolationism. But forcing States to vote on sending their own citizens to fight would sure slow thongs down. Because right now presidents just send in the military whenever they feel like it.

30-01-2011, 07:53 PM
That could save money in and of itself too, with less need for military less taxes would be needed to support it. That is a lot of money. Personnel, equipment, land, supplies, even defense contracts. We just need a decent way to employ all those people now.