Hi, I'm new, but not new to atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2017, 05:55 PM
RE: Hi, I'm new, but not new to atheism
Is another forum exodus-ing to us?
Suppose it's inevitable when you got the greenest grass around.

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-02-2017, 06:36 PM
(21-02-2017 05:55 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Is another forum exodus-ing to us?

A fair number of us newbies are refugees from the Amazon Atheist forum, which now seems actively hostile to us. Several of us were banished, quite a few had posts deleted in what we took to be an arbitrary manner. We think we see the writing on the wall.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
21-02-2017, 06:42 PM
(21-02-2017 06:36 PM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  

A fair number of us newbies are refugees from the Amazon Atheist forum, which now seems actively hostile to us. Several of us were banished, quite a few had posts deleted in what we took to be an arbitrary manner. We think we see the writing on the wall.

Well, the alt-right are in power now so they can do whatever the hell they want. Assholes.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
21-02-2017, 06:58 PM
Hey R^3 !

Looks like the migration has started in earnest. Wink
21-02-2017, 07:19 PM

Fuck 'em. Their loss, our gain. Always good to see fresh perspectives! Thumbsup

@Gwaithmir- if quoting Dawkins gets you in trouble, you are in the wrong universe. Yes
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
21-02-2017, 08:49 PM

Sound like a bunch of cunts. Unless.. you lot were the cunts... Consider
Either way, we certainly are a bunch of cunts over here at TTA, that's for damn sure, so either you'll fit in perfectly because you lot are too a bunch of cunts or you're used to being around cunts and fit in perfectly. Bonus, we won't ban ya just because you post negative things about religion. Religion can go fuck itself for all we care. Freedom of speech is the aim of the game around here so you wont be banned for things you say. Unless you're cunts. We only ban cunts.

Just a disclaimer. Our leader, Momsurroundedbyboys (she's the cunt in green), is a known criminal on the run from the police for a hit and run using the alias Bubbles the truckstop hooker. So.. keep that on the down-low we don't want the feds finding out we're harbouring a known felon.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
21-02-2017, 09:51 PM
(21-02-2017 08:49 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Sound like a bunch of cunts. Unless.. you lot were the cunts... Consider

Well, I'm not a cunt, except on alternate Thursdays, and the occasional random Friday before a Monday holiday.

And "Bubbles" secret is safe with me.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
22-02-2017, 02:25 AM
Welcome. I too have a 12 year old daughter (plus a 9 year old son). This place is my refuge from the hormones.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
22-02-2017, 06:54 AM
(18-02-2017 01:04 PM)Rachel Wrote:  Hi, everybody! I'm Rachel and I'm a refugee from the moribund Amazon forums.

I'm 41, soon to be 42, married, with 2 children, a 12 year old daughter and a 5 year old son. I used to work in public health, but now I'm one of the media that people like to complain about.

My journey to atheism began around age 13 when my mom passed from Parkinson's and spinal cancer. She was in so much agony, I kept praying for God to take her and end her suffering. No answer, no surprise.

The next step was the rape of my best friend about 2 years later. It happened after youth group in my church by the youth minister. I usually accompanied my friend, but that evening I was sick. What kind of a deity would allow the violation of a good, church-going girl? My friend's mom called me, and my dad drove me down to the hospital, fever and all. I was wallowing in self-pity when the primary minister arrived to do damage control. He patted her hand and didn't notice when she flinched. He told her in that insulting avuncular tone that it was all about "God's plan" and "free will" and that she shouldn't get overly upset about it.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing! My friend just exploded on him: "God's plan? Why would a god plan for me to be raped? Why didn't he send me a note telling me that this was going to happen? How does this show God's love? Why was the rapist's free will to rape me more important to God than my desire NOT to be raped."

The minister just gave her one of those condescending smiles and told her that he would talk with her when she wasn't so upset. Then he left!

The final straw was when I was 18 and carefully read the Bible and saw not only the contradictions, but the elements of fiction in it. I suddenly realized it was just a bunch of stories, not truth or "The Truth."

But it took a good 10 years for me to "come out" as an atheist. As a single mom, I wanted to raise my daughter with no lies or illusions, just truth and facts.

I suppose that's the gist of my story. Thanks for reading.

Welcome and sorry for your horrible experience as well as the still more horrible experience of your friend, though of course you did get all your subsequent Sundays free I suppose. I wonder if your friend also managed to escape from religious beliefs.

Since your exit from religion was the result of an awful experience, I wonder if you sometimes get nostalgic for whatever it may have been that would have kept you there otherwise? Do you miss things about being a xtian? I can own that it is just like other parts of my childhood in that way. To imagine a limitless future discussing the creators design decisions felt like something to miss at first when I could no longer believe. But then my blankey was pretty nice too.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
22-02-2017, 08:33 AM

Shades of the IIDB meltdown ... and the RDF thing ...