Hi I`m new (original title nr. 1)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2014, 05:55 PM
RE: Hi I`m new (original title nr. 1)
Very nice to meet you. Hopefully you do not feel like an alien here! Smile

[Image: ctmwelcome_e0.gif]

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes CindysRain's post
10-09-2014, 06:15 PM
(10-09-2014 07:49 AM)Elisabet-sokkur Wrote:  I hate writing these, I always want to leave an lasting impression on those who read it.

Here I go.

My name is Elísabet, I´m a 25 year old Icelandic woman living in Denmark, and I´ll graduate nursing school next spring ( Gasp ). I am married to Dane an together we have 3 year old daughter.

I grew up in this extreme christian church in Iceland. Women were not to cut their hair, and wear long skirts. And the men could dress like what ever, figures.

At about 14 two big things happened. My parents split, so there where no church going anymore - aaand I got a computer into my bedroom. I chatted with a lot of people from around the world, and this one guy, who was an atheist. That opened my mind up for the possibility of not believing. Naive and all, I argued for Christianity, and we didn´t chat for very long. But that chat was a beginning for me realizing that there is no god. At 18 I admitted to myself that I was a non believer, and it was weird and amazing.

Today, I haven´t really "come out yet". Many of my friends are religious, and I find the times that when I mention my non believes, it just becomes an unintelligent, frustrating conversation and me not wanting to be friends with them anymore. One of my closest friends told me and a few others on an outing, that she had visited a healer of some sorts. That "healer" said the reason for her being fat on her torso was that she was a sensitive soul, and protecting her soul. Everyone was like very interested and I told her that was bullshit, and that it was called genes. She got very irritated with me, and I again felt like an alien.

I live in a small town in Denmark, and I feel like such a misfit. I´m an atheist, feminist, foreigner and pretty much an anarchist. Every time I open up my mouth here I just get met with blank stares and "wtf is wrong with her" looks.

So here I am, hoping to exchange thoughts with people a little bit more like me Tongue

Awesome story and welcome!

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
11-09-2014, 12:10 AM
You guys are so nice Big Grin It is funny how you manage that without religion and all, shouldn´t you be morally wrong, murdering bunch of people? Wink
11-09-2014, 03:36 AM
(11-09-2014 12:10 AM)Elisabet-sokkur Wrote:  You guys are so nice Big Grin It is funny how you manage that without religion and all, shouldn´t you be morally wrong, murdering bunch of people? Wink

Murdering only happens at weekends - hard to get time off work for that stuff.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
11-09-2014, 06:28 AM
(11-09-2014 12:10 AM)Elisabet-sokkur Wrote:  You guys are so nice Big Grin It is funny how you manage that without religion and all, shouldn´t you be morally wrong, murdering bunch of people? Wink

It's best to leave all that murder and mayhem to the experts i.e. the various morally good religious groups throughout the world, who differ slightly in their beliefs etc... Thumbsup

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí