Hi! My story!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-06-2012, 08:37 PM (This post was last modified: 18-06-2012 08:53 PM by angela_means_fallen_angel.)
Hi! My story!
Hi! My name is Angela and I live in Gilbert, Arizona.

My parents had just really gotten into their religion. I mean DEEP. They made us go to church every Sunday but whats worse is they made us go to bible study with other families every Wednesday and Saturday night! They grew up being Catholic but decided Protestant was the way to go and were militant about it. So militant that I remember it from age seven and I'm 31 now! My first memory of religion was at a restaurant when I was seven years old. It was a pizza place and they had a magician going table to table with kids pulling rabbit out of hats and doing fun magic tricks. When they came to our table my parents told the magician rather rudely that they don't believe in that stuff and weren't interested. I was devastated! I couldn't understand what was so bad about a bunny rabbit coming out of a hat. Next and to my utter horror my parents dropped a bomb on me by refusing to let me go trick or treating on Halloween! It's bad enough for kids that never went out on Halloween because their parents are religious but so much worse when you have been going since you were a baby in a stroller and look forward to it! When people came to our door they would tell them they don't believe in Satan's holiday! I remember it because we got egged that year. I was pulled out of my public school with all my friends and thrown into "Stateline Christian School" where they could spank you and made you pray all day and learn Bible stories. But the worse, the absolute worse came when one day in the video store when my mom told me I could pick a movie to rent. I of course picked my all time hero Rainbow Brite (I was an 80's kid). I took it up to my mother and do you know what she said? She told me no more Rainbow Brite because only God can make rainbows. My world came crashing down. I got a spanking that night because my seven year old reply was to yell "Well then you can't rent your movie (she was holding "Splash") because Mermaids aren't STUPID God's creation, they are mans!" (My mom is fond of retelling that story to anybody I am dating). After the ban of Rainbow Brite I actively started hating church and bible study. I drew Rainbow Brite in my Bible and received a harsh punishments for it every time but I didn't care. I refused to sing in church. I openly told anybody that would listen that the story of Noah's Ark was stupid (that got me several spankings at school). I was in trouble a lot because of my rebellion against their religion.

I was forced to go to church till the age of 13 when my parents became lazy and stopped going but still were believers. I had already REALLY began questioning the Bible since I decided to study it at the age of 17. When I finally told my parents at the age of 26 that I was NOT Christian, hell not even a believer, they took it as best they could. When I say best I mean my father debated with me impatiently before telling me I was going to burn in hell. My mother got a knowing look on her face and told me she didn't want to discuss it because it disturbed her. My Dad never lets up but he still loves me and so does my mother. My mom admitted to me that she believes if you are a good person you will go to heaven. I even got her to admit that Gays deserve to "go to heaven". Personally I don't believe in any one thing. I'm not necessarily Atheist but I certainly don't belong to any religion. I guess I believe if there is a God and he doesn't have enough time to drop in and let us know he's in the neighborhood then I'm not going to invite him into my home and kiss his ass.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like angela_means_fallen_angel's post
18-06-2012, 08:43 PM
RE: Hi! My story!
(18-06-2012 08:37 PM)angela_means_fallen_angel Wrote:   I guess I believe if there is a God and he doesn't have enough time to drop in and let us know he's in the neighborhood then I'm not going to invite him into my home and kiss his ass.
But maybe you could teach him to love Rainbow Brite and be a better God. Big Grin

Welcome to TTA!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
18-06-2012, 08:48 PM
(18-06-2012 08:43 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Thank you!
(18-06-2012 08:37 PM)angela_means_fallen_angel Wrote:   I guess I believe if there is a God and he doesn't have enough time to drop in and let us know he's in the neighborhood then I'm not going to invite him into my home and kiss his ass.
But maybe you could teach him to love Rainbow Brite and be a better God. Big Grin

Welcome to TTA!

She said all a body would have to do there was to go around all day long with a harp and sing. So I didn't think much of it. But I never said so. I asked her if she reckoned Tom Sawyer would go there, and she said not by a considerable sight. I was glad about that, because I wanted him and me to be together. - Huck Finn.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes angela_means_fallen_angel's post
19-06-2012, 12:28 AM
Welcome Smile
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
19-06-2012, 01:11 AM
Welcome to TTA
Have an insightful stay

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 2 users Like Observer's post
19-06-2012, 05:15 AM
(18-06-2012 08:37 PM)angela_means_fallen_angel Wrote:  I took it up to my mother and do you know what she said? She told me no more Rainbow Brite because only God can make rainbows.

I'll be sure to keep this in mind when I next put a prism into a sunbeam.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
19-06-2012, 08:18 AM
Welcome aboard, hope you enkoy your time there.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
19-06-2012, 09:22 AM
Welcome!

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
19-06-2012, 10:18 AM
I'm sorry, I really cannot relate to your story.... what's Rainbow Brite?
Welcome to the forum.

19-06-2012, 11:14 AM
(19-06-2012 10:18 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I'm sorry, I really cannot relate to your story.... what's Rainbow Brite?
Jees Deej - I'm not even gonna dignify that with a link. Get on your google machine. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post