Hi There

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2017, 07:37 PM
RE: Hi There
(18-02-2017 07:31 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Welcome, Dorsie, we're glad you're here!

Were you involved in the Canadian oilpatch in your seismic work?

Nice to be here. I worked US domestic prospects starting in the Gulf coast and moving to the plains and Rockies. For most of my oil career, I worked in seismic data processing and special technical projects. Later I split the industry and became an information services manager specializing in automated quality control. But geology and geophysics are always my first loves.

I did go to Calgary a couple of times for conferences and had a joyful time visiting Banff. And as a kid, my family went on a cruise sown the St. Lawrence. We got to see beluga whales playing in the ship's bow wave.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dorsie's post
18-02-2017, 08:04 PM
(18-02-2017 02:20 PM)kim Wrote:  
(18-02-2017 01:11 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Welcome to the forum. What branch of geophysics? I've never delved into it much beyond the pole-dipole technique of fishing.

He/she indicated seismology. Maybe he/she's into earthquakes. That would be cool - all that plate shifting and whatnot. The study of the rumble below. Shy

Being in a decent sized earthquake in Mexico City when I was thirteen is what started my interest in geophysics. The rumble below is is terrifying but somehow compelling. When I started major course work in college, plate tectonics were fairly new, and not universally accepted. It's been a thrilling journey watching our body of knowledge grow exponentially. It's also been a terrible sadness watching theists try to destroy that knowledge with bible literalism and creationist lies.

Jobs in earthquake seismology are few even in academia, so I went into exploration seismology. Hey, I sometimes got to blow up dynamite, and that's always great fun.
[+] 3 users Like Dorsie's post
18-02-2017, 08:08 PM
Many thanks for all the warm welcomes. This is an intelligent, witty, and fun place.
18-02-2017, 08:45 PM
OK. I hate to ask for help so early, but how does one add a profile picture? I didn't see anything in any of the the profile pages. Thanks for any assistance you can offer.
18-02-2017, 08:52 PM
(18-02-2017 08:45 PM)Dorsie Wrote:  OK. I hate to ask for help so early, but how does one add a profile picture? I didn't see anything in any of the the profile pages. Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

User CP
Change avatar

Some features aren't available until you've been around for a little while; not sure if the avatar is one of those or not

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
18-02-2017, 09:06 PM
(18-02-2017 08:52 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(18-02-2017 08:45 PM)Dorsie Wrote:  OK. I hate to ask for help so early, but how does one add a profile picture? I didn't see anything in any of the the profile pages. Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

User CP
Change avatar

Some features aren't available until you've been around for a little while; not sure if the avatar is one of those or not

I was thinking that might be the case. I'm on an iPad, so I'll also try it on my laptop. Thanks for the info.
I'm off for some video binging. Have a great weekend.
18-02-2017, 09:09 PM
Greetings, friend.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
18-02-2017, 10:29 PM
Welcome to the party.

I worked as an environmental field biologist for a state regulatory agency. The geologists shared a floor with us.

Y'all are some strange folk! Tongue

Welcome to TTA. Glad you're here.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
19-02-2017, 01:08 AM (This post was last modified: 19-02-2017 02:20 AM by Dorsie.)
Huh
(18-02-2017 10:29 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Welcome to the party.

I worked as an environmental field biologist for a state regulatory agency. The geologists shared a floor with us.

Y'all are some strange folk! Tongue

Welcome to TTA. Glad you're here.

I hope you're still doing environmental work. We're going do need people like you with the new EPA chief (Arrggh.)

Geologists are indeed very strange critters, and proud of it. Just Google "strange rocks image" to see why. We're the ones who have to figure out how those things happened. Huh
19-02-2017, 11:08 AM
(18-02-2017 08:04 PM)Dorsie Wrote:  
(18-02-2017 02:20 PM)kim Wrote:  He/she indicated seismology. Maybe he/she's into earthquakes. That would be cool - all that plate shifting and whatnot. The study of the rumble below. Shy

Being in a decent sized earthquake in Mexico City when I was thirteen is what started my interest in geophysics. The rumble below is is terrifying but somehow compelling. When I started major course work in college, plate tectonics were fairly new, and not universally accepted. It's been a thrilling journey watching our body of knowledge grow exponentially. It's also been a terrible sadness watching theists try to destroy that knowledge with bible literalism and creationist lies.

Jobs in earthquake seismology are few even in academia, so I went into exploration seismology. Hey, I sometimes got to blow up dynamite, and that's always great fun.

I was in Victoria, BC for the 2001 Nisqually quake so I know exactly what you mean by terrifying. Anybody who hasn't experienced groundswell probably won't understand fully but a house should not feel like a boat on choppy seas.

I hear you on the cretinists. I'm in hard rock/mineral exploration and have done a fair bit of geochemistry and geochronology. Do I understand the "assumptions" in radiometric dating? Step into my parlour. Evil_monster

There are a few other geologists here but I'll let the introduce themselves.

Seismic charges are handy for fishing too but not as tidy as an IP generator. I'm told it's catch and release but never understood the point when they're already half cooked. I expect that dynamite is even more effective for intimidating a daughter's boyfriends than the classic double-barrelled shotgun.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post