Hi, agnostic here :)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2017, 12:05 PM
Smile Hi, agnostic here :)
I guess I'm currently agnostic, although that sounds like I've decided that we can't know whether God exists, which I haven't!
But I just have a lot of questions for both sides of the theism/atheism debate, and I'm hoping that joining forums like this one will help me find some answers.

For some background: I was raised as a Christian, but there seemed to be a lot of inconsistencies that bugged me, like the whole Trinity thing and the existence of suffering. So now I'm trying to start from the beginning and talk to people with lots of different beliefs on this topic. I also study philosophy, so naturally I'm interested in how far logic supports/undermines religious belief.

So, hi Smile I'm looking forward to some interesting discussions with you all!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Erin27's post
14-04-2017, 12:20 PM
RE: Hi, agnostic here :)
Hiya!

I think that logical reasoning undermine religious belief as we've seen it so far. You spend enough time hearing the same arguments being debunked because they are fallacious or ignore established facts. That's what convinced me that atheism is correct. While I do not know if there is a thing that we can call God, I am pretty damn sure that thing is not what any modern religion thinks it is based purely off of what they bring to the table.

Study theology if you're interested in seeing just how the stories conflict with reality. If you like philosophy spend some more time with my main man, Nietzsche. You won't be disappointed. Big Grin

I hope you have fun here! Welcome.
[+] 2 users Like Larai19's post
14-04-2017, 01:14 PM
Hi, agnostic here :)
Welcome.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
14-04-2017, 01:23 PM
Welcome Smile

Logic by itself is just a tool. You gotta feed it some facts before it spits out answers. If you feed it a bunch of scientific consensus plus some woo from the Bible it says "there's a major problem here". This is not lost on Christians, hence either a. they say "fuck logic, we're special" or b. "the scientific consensus is wrong because <insert fallacious bullshit / conspiracy theory / whatever>".

That's it in a nutshell.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
14-04-2017, 01:42 PM
Welcome to TTA. You will find lots of answers here. Even answers to questions you didn't even know you had.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
14-04-2017, 01:49 PM
Welcome! Drinking Beverage

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
14-04-2017, 02:51 PM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2017 06:15 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(14-04-2017 12:05 PM)Erin27 Wrote:  So, hi Smile I'm looking forward to some interesting discussions with you all!

Welcome. You should find lots of interesting insights from the many contributors.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
14-04-2017, 03:15 PM
Welcome!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
14-04-2017, 03:54 PM
(14-04-2017 12:05 PM)Erin27 Wrote:  I guess I'm currently agnostic, although that sounds like I've decided that we can't know whether God exists, which I haven't!
But I just have a lot of questions for both sides of the theism/atheism debate, and I'm hoping that joining forums like this one will help me find some answers.

For some background: I was raised as a Christian, but there seemed to be a lot of inconsistencies that bugged me, like the whole Trinity thing and the existence of suffering. So now I'm trying to start from the beginning and talk to people with lots of different beliefs on this topic. I also study philosophy, so naturally I'm interested in how far logic supports/undermines religious belief.

So, hi Smile I'm looking forward to some interesting discussions with you all!

Hi and welcome. I'm agnostic too as well as an atheist. I have no idea whether gods are ultimately unknowable in any final sense but I do know that I don't know if they exist. To tell the truth I don't even know what the hell we're talking about where gods are concerned. But when I ask myself do I believe in anything like what people seem to mean when they say "god", I have to admit I don't.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 3 users Like whateverist's post
14-04-2017, 04:32 PM
(14-04-2017 03:54 PM)whateverist Wrote:  Hi and welcome. I'm agnostic too as well as an atheist. I have no idea whether gods are ultimately unknowable in any final sense but I do know that I don't know if they exist. To tell the truth I don't even know what the hell we're talking about where gods are concerned. But when I ask myself do I believe in anything like what people seem to mean when they say "god", I have to admit I don't.

Wow, that sounds incredibly like where I've gotten to. Big Grin A lot of people start with, "Well, first you have to define 'god'," and I'm like, "What do you mean by 'believe'?"
[+] 2 users Like kmc's post