Hi, agnostic here :)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2017, 05:08 PM
RE: Hi, agnostic here :)
Hi Erin

There's no God

Now that we got that out of the way, uh, what are you wearing?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like I'mFred's post
14-04-2017, 07:47 PM
(14-04-2017 12:05 PM)Erin27 Wrote:  I guess I'm currently agnostic, although that sounds like I've decided that we can't know whether God exists, which I haven't!
But I just have a lot of questions for both sides of the theism/atheism debate, and I'm hoping that joining forums like this one will help me find some answers.

For some background: I was raised as a Christian, but there seemed to be a lot of inconsistencies that bugged me, like the whole Trinity thing and the existence of suffering. So now I'm trying to start from the beginning and talk to people with lots of different beliefs on this topic. I also study philosophy, so naturally I'm interested in how far logic supports/undermines religious belief.

So, hi Smile I'm looking forward to some interesting discussions with you all!
Woohoo! Another philosopher!

Welcome to the forum. Smile

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
15-04-2017, 05:14 AM
(14-04-2017 12:05 PM)Erin27 Wrote:  I guess I'm currently agnostic, although that sounds like I've decided that we can't know whether God exists, which I haven't!
But I just have a lot of questions for both sides of the theism/atheism debate, and I'm hoping that joining forums like this one will help me find some answers.

For some background: I was raised as a Christian, but there seemed to be a lot of inconsistencies that bugged me, like the whole Trinity thing and the existence of suffering. So now I'm trying to start from the beginning and talk to people with lots of different beliefs on this topic. I also study philosophy, so naturally I'm interested in how far logic supports/undermines religious belief.

So, hi Smile I'm looking forward to some interesting discussions with you all!

> I was an agnostic for about a decade in which I engaged in a lot of comparative religious study. I finally decided I was really an atheist after reading an article titled, "The Agnostic's Dilemma" in a 1982 issue of THE AMERICAN ATHEIST.
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
15-04-2017, 06:43 AM
Welcome!
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
15-04-2017, 09:22 AM
Hi Erin, welcome Smile

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
15-04-2017, 09:38 AM
Answers? Confused We don't got no stinkin' answers!

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
15-04-2017, 12:28 PM
G'day mate, and welcome to the forum. Smile

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
16-04-2017, 02:04 AM
Welcome to the forum.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
17-04-2017, 05:25 AM
(14-04-2017 03:54 PM)whateverist Wrote:  Hi and welcome. I'm agnostic too as well as an atheist. I have no idea whether gods are ultimately unknowable in any final sense but I do know that I don't know if they exist. To tell the truth I don't even know what the hell we're talking about where gods are concerned. But when I ask myself do I believe in anything like what people seem to mean when they say "god", I have to admit I don't.

Yeah, I definitely empathise with that. I have some questions to ask theists if I get the opportunity, and the first one is "What is God?"

I even have issues with the word "exists", so I would need to clear up both of those before figuring out if they actually contradicted each other. For example, if the definition of existence involves being present materially, then by that definition God would not exist. If however we allowed for other, non-physical types of existence, then perhaps it would not be contradictory, although it is difficult to see how we could verify claims involving such an interpretation of existence.
17-04-2017, 05:27 AM
(14-04-2017 04:32 PM)kmc Wrote:  A lot of people start with, "Well, first you have to define 'god'," and I'm like, "What do you mean by 'believe'?"

Haha exactly! I said something similar in my reply to whateverist too Smile