Hi, agnostic here :)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2017, 05:35 AM
RE: Hi, agnostic here :)
(14-04-2017 05:08 PM)ImFred Wrote:  Hi Erin

There's no God

Now that we got that out of the way, uh, what are you wearing?

^I suppose that's one difference between the atheist forums and the theist forums Laugh out load

To answer your thoughtful and highly relevant question: balaclava, mitre, cloak and a giant silver star (any WTNV fans here?)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Erin27's post
17-04-2017, 05:57 AM
Incidentally, regarding your OP, a lot of us identify as "agnostic atheist", which means we are atheists in the sense that we *believe* that there is no God, but we do not *know* (gnosis - knowledge) that there is not God and hence are open to any proof that someone might come up with. i.e. the scale that we use is not theist - agnostic in the middle - atheist, but rather two axes, one of which is theist/atheist and one of which is gnostic/agnostic.

Sadly theists are rather lacking in terms of even rudimentary proofs of God. So many of us, while we maintain some degree of willingness to read the next kooky pseudo-proof, aren't that excited to meet the deity.

And besides all that, even if they could prove a God, I personally don't think worshiping it sounds like a rational thing to do.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
17-04-2017, 06:01 AM
Howdy!

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
17-04-2017, 08:18 AM
(17-04-2017 05:57 AM)morondog Wrote:  Incidentally, regarding your OP, a lot of us identify as "agnostic atheist", which means we are atheists in the sense that we *believe* that there is no God, but we do not *know* (gnosis - knowledge) that there is not God and hence are open to any proof that someone might come up with. i.e. the scale that we use is not theist - agnostic in the middle - atheist, but rather two axes, one of which is theist/atheist and one of which is gnostic/agnostic.

Honestly, the labels don't mean that much so identify however you like. As Dog says, many of us are agnostic atheists with respect to the general concept of God. We can't rule out the possibility of every possible God and honestly don't have to. It's up to them to provide the definitions and the evidence. Until then I'll be playing Minecraft.

Other, more specific gods such as Zeus, Pele, a biblically literal god, Ra, and Quetzalcoatl are silly and self-contradictory. In specific cases many of us are willing to be a lot more gnostic because the definition provided is rubbish. So the labels are context sensitive anyway. I figure that any worldview that can be summed up with a single word is probably absurdly simple.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
17-04-2017, 08:25 AM
Hello! Big Grin
17-04-2017, 01:48 PM
Bonjour.

I too am an agnostic, sometimes. I just can't decide if it's "turtles all the way down", "part way down" or if the Sparkly Pink Unicorns really exist.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
18-04-2017, 07:44 AM (This post was last modified: 18-04-2017 07:52 AM by Ro3bert.)
(17-04-2017 05:57 AM)morondog Wrote:  Incidentally, regarding your OP, a lot of us identify as "agnostic atheist", which means we are atheists in the sense that we *believe* that there is no God, but we do not *know* (gnosis - knowledge) that there is not God and hence are open to any proof that someone might come up with. i.e. the scale that we use is not theist - agnostic in the middle - atheist, but rather two axes, one of which is theist/atheist and one of which is gnostic/agnostic.

Sadly theists are rather lacking in terms of even rudimentary proofs of God. So many of us, while we maintain some degree of willingness to read the next kooky pseudo-proof, aren't that excited to meet the deity.

And besides all that, even if they could prove a God, I personally don't think worshiping it sounds like a rational thing to do.

By the way [Image: K8XXuiQ.gif?zoom=2] Erin

I have no idea what it means "worshiping". It has to be some sort of emotional feeling that I just don't, and never have, understood. Even dictionary and Wikipedia definitions are strictly external with absolutely no emotion involved. So I still don't understand the term.

I guess I've been far removed from churches for to long a time. Going to a church to a worship service escapes my credulity since that is still only an outward manifestation rather than an internal one.

Sheesh, I just don't get it. Facepalm

Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.
Robert himself
18-04-2017, 08:10 AM
Welcome!
20-04-2017, 05:43 PM
(14-04-2017 12:05 PM)Erin27 Wrote:  I guess I'm currently agnostic, although that sounds like I've decided that we can't know whether God exists, which I haven't!
But I just have a lot of questions for both sides of the theism/atheism debate, and I'm hoping that joining forums like this one will help me find some answers.

For some background: I was raised as a Christian, but there seemed to be a lot of inconsistencies that bugged me, like the whole Trinity thing and the existence of suffering. So now I'm trying to start from the beginning and talk to people with lots of different beliefs on this topic. I also study philosophy, so naturally I'm interested in how far logic supports/undermines religious belief.

So, hi Smile I'm looking forward to some interesting discussions with you all!

Welcome, Erin.

I was a Christian for 30 years. I progressed from newly-converted believer, to liberal not-really-believer. It was from discussing religious ideas with others on forums that I was able to flip the switch, and realize that I had truly lost my belief in the Christian deity (or any other proposed deity).

I respect the views of others, but if they are willing to discuss them with me, I will ask questions.

"How would you go about finding evidence for your beliefs. What form would it take, and have others already attempted this? Can the results be verified?"

"How would you determine the veracity of your god belief, versus the that of another religion?"

"Are your beliefs extraordinary claims? Don't they require extraordinary evidence, versus more simple explanations?"

"How can you be sure that your belief is not based on a desire for love/everlasting-life, rather than evidence of a real thing?"

"If your god is real, and has made real promises, how would you expect those promises to show up in the real world? What predictions does your assertion that 'my God exists' make about the nature of the world? How would you test the difference between a world without your god, and one with It?"