Hi all from the UK.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2014, 09:50 AM
Hi all from the UK.
I have been lurking around the forums for a while now and have been enjoying all the debates, humour and information on here. Many of you seem so familiar to me now that I thought it was only fair and probably time to take the plunge and register.

I’m an atheist and have been for a couple of years now. There was no real big conversion as I have never been particularly religious and I do not come from a religious family (something I am very grateful for). But I did, like many, have a sort of vague sense there is a god and being caucasian and from the UK this vague idea had a christian flavour to it. This was no doubt reinforced in my childhood as I attended a Church of England school from the age of 5-11, for no other reason than it was the closest school to our house.

Recently I decided to actually read the bible and low and behold, all that vague nonsense I’d been carrying around with me vanished as I realised that this was all utter nonsense and if this is the word of a god or, just the inspired word of a god, then he was a moron and a pretty vicious one at that.

I am so glad I read the bible not only did it clear up for me where I stand on is there/isn’t there a god issue but it gave me a fair bit of entertainment. It was like reading a screen play for a Monty Python film albeit splattered with some pretty grim genocide. (I tended to skip a lot of the ‘Yahweh on the rampage’ stuff as not only was it way too violent for me it also became very tedious). I would read snippets out loud to my daughter (she’s 20 and has always been an atheist) and we could barely speak for laughing.

I recently got Buddy Christ’s book which has just added to the hilarity. I have since passed this book on to my mom who now keeps ringing me up to read out bits she finds particularly funny. She has also come to the conclusion that if Yahweh is real, which seems highly unlikely, then ‘he’s a bit of a shit’. (It’s always funny to hear my mom swear Laugh out load )

Well…that was a longer intro than I had planned…I look forward to engaging with you all and no longer watching from the side-lines.

Eva

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Eva's post
10-03-2014, 10:00 AM
RE: Hi all from the UK.
I thought I saw you in the shadows.

Welcome to the light.

But I think you should say 'hi' to those who are not from the UK also.

Smile

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
10-03-2014, 10:08 AM
(10-03-2014 10:00 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I thought I saw you in the shadows.

Welcome to the light.

But I think you should say 'hi' to those who are not from the UK also.

Smile

Thank you for the welcome and yes that's a very badly worded title I wrote there. Of course Hi to everyone form everywhere Blush

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
10-03-2014, 10:13 AM
HAI DERE NEW PERSON!!!!!

I GIVE YOU BUB PICTURE AS WELCOME!

[Image: lil-bub-5.jpg]

Just how long have you been lurking for, out of curiosity?

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
10-03-2014, 10:29 AM
Welcome! Also, I love the part where you vaguely believed until you read the Bible and saw it made no sense. If only it had been that easy for me. Tongue
10-03-2014, 10:33 AM
Hi! Greetings from across the water.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
10-03-2014, 11:32 AM
(10-03-2014 10:13 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  HAI DERE NEW PERSON!!!!!

I GIVE YOU BUB PICTURE AS WELCOME!

[Image: lil-bub-5.jpg]

Just how long have you been lurking for, out of curiosity?

On and off for a few months. I was around when you had the pleasure of Mark Dreher (sp?). Now that was special!

Two posts in and already I have a cat. Think I'm gonna like it here :-)

[+] 2 users Like Eva's post
11-03-2014, 02:05 AM
I read Bible too. And I there still are lines with psychological values in that Monty Python screenplay, such as "lily in wilderness", which in this world with depression and anxiety disorders pandemic actually have meanings, as the comfort the book has provided all along history.

It's so warm and loving that your mom and daughter and you get along and have your fun.

Welcome !

From China, which you might have already known, haven't you ?

Smile

Want something? Then do something.
[+] 1 user Likes HU.Junyuan's post
11-03-2014, 03:07 AM
Alreet! From the north east of England Smile

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
11-03-2014, 05:20 AM
Hello both.

I went to a wedding in a castle some years ago in the north east. It was a beautiful area if a little windy and cold. I'm in the Midlands, a few miles outside of Birmingham.