Hi... am I the only theist here....?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-07-2014, 12:04 PM
RE: Hi... am I the only theist here....?
(28-07-2014 10:03 PM)Addai Wrote:  Hello I'm a Christian theist. I've had some good conversations with atheists and agnostics in the past, and hopefully will have more on this site. I'm not looking to convert anybody, nor am I looking to be converted. Sometimes though I see things that I think are unfair so I might speak up about that from time to time.

There's been a few famous atheists that I've liked or been influential in my life. At the top of the List would be Albert Ellis of Rational Emotive Therapy fame... I was a fan of some of Christopher Hitchens socio-political commentary and I also get a kick out of Penn Jillette.

And for you that are into personality tests and theories, I am a strong INTJ on the Myers-Briggs.

I'm a non practicing Catholic with a repugnance for Religion but I pray on occasion and when something good happens I thank God. When something bad happens I blaspheme. I suppose I'm a Theist who has extreme doubts, anger at God, and a disgust for a lot of Religion but quick to defend what I admire about Religion if the Theist goes about it the right way, free of self-righteousness, harsh judgements, and proselytizing.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-07-2014, 12:17 PM
(29-07-2014 06:55 AM)thespiritualanarchist Wrote:  Well I am not a Theist but everyone thinks I am. I guess it depends how you define theist.

I do not believe in a personal god of any kind. I do not believe that there is anything that could be called supernatural. I do not believe in any religion and I have no religion of my own. Though I do practice Buddhism which is basically an Atheist Philosophy.

I do not believe that Jesus is the son of/God (Sun God?) I do not believe that any holy book is anything but man made superstition to control the masses.

But I have been told on here that I am theist. And I guess we are all just supposed to do what we are told right? Wait that's religion. And Atheism isn't a religion right?

So maybe I imagined the whole thing. Just remember that all the Atheists on this board are real nice to people who think differently on this board and they will never twist your words or mock you because they are so open to other ideas ... and you will do just fine

Bowing

That's interesting. In my college years, I spent a few years as unofficial Taoist Agnostic. Of course it helps to have other supporting interests, like at the time I was into the martial arts and was a psych student.....
29-07-2014, 12:25 PM
Wink RE: Hi... am I the only theist here....?
(29-07-2014 07:22 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Hey and welcome.

Glad to have another theist around... hopefully, you won't be a retard... for some reason, 95% of the theists that come here couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

TTA is accepting and open to theists that show respect.

Like others have mentioned, TTA trusts me enough to be an administrator without giving regard to my beliefs.

That's cool dude. Actually to some degree I have you to thank while I'm here, and a few others as well.

You see I am big search engine user. And posted a little on the Worthy Christian Forum, but I never quite bonded there. I think those people are mostly too Fundamentalistically inclined and not really philosophically inclined as most people I tend to hang out with. Anyway doing a web search and seeing people like you complain about that board made me think that perhaps this place might be worth giving a try.Smile
29-07-2014, 12:42 PM (This post was last modified: 29-07-2014 12:48 PM by Addai.)
(29-07-2014 12:04 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  
(28-07-2014 10:03 PM)Addai Wrote:  Hello I'm a Christian theist. I've had some good conversations with atheists and agnostics in the past, and hopefully will have more on this site. I'm not looking to convert anybody, nor am I looking to be converted. Sometimes though I see things that I think are unfair so I might speak up about that from time to time.

There's been a few famous atheists that I've liked or been influential in my life. At the top of the List would be Albert Ellis of Rational Emotive Therapy fame... I was a fan of some of Christopher Hitchens socio-political commentary and I also get a kick out of Penn Jillette.

And for you that are into personality tests and theories, I am a strong INTJ on the Myers-Briggs.

I'm a non practicing Catholic with a repugnance for Religion but I pray on occasion and when something good happens I thank God. When something bad happens I blaspheme. I suppose I'm a Theist who has extreme doubts, anger at God, and a disgust for a lot of Religion but quick to defend what I admire about Religion if the Theist goes about it the right way, free of self-righteousness, harsh judgements, and proselytizing.

That's all right we might not be so far apart. I have my moments of cussing and blaspheming etc.

In terms of the rest I see that as one of those two way streets. In going college and grad school, or even watching TV, movies its not uncommon to encounter people who have a different POV and can be actively proselytizing that POV sometimes even compromising artistic aesthetics and consumer satisfaction aspects of that product by making a TV show, movie, computer/video game etc. that's very preachy etc.
[+] 1 user Likes Addai's post
29-07-2014, 01:25 PM
Welcome. Discussions are always good.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
29-07-2014, 02:08 PM
(29-07-2014 12:25 PM)Addai Wrote:  
(29-07-2014 07:22 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Hey and welcome.

Glad to have another theist around... hopefully, you won't be a retard... for some reason, 95% of the theists that come here couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

TTA is accepting and open to theists that show respect.

Like others have mentioned, TTA trusts me enough to be an administrator without giving regard to my beliefs.

That's cool dude. Actually to some degree I have you to thank while I'm here, and a few others as well.

You see I am big search engine user. And posted a little on the Worthy Christian Forum, but I never quite bonded there. I think those people are mostly too Fundamentalistically inclined and not really philosophically inclined as most people I tend to hang out with. Anyway doing a web search and seeing people like you complain about that board made me think that perhaps this place might be worth giving a try.Smile

Those people are insane. Them and Suscipe Domine.

I'm banned from both of those forums.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
29-07-2014, 02:23 PM
(29-07-2014 02:08 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(29-07-2014 12:25 PM)Addai Wrote:  That's cool dude. Actually to some degree I have you to thank while I'm here, and a few others as well.

Those people are insane. Them and Suscipe Domine.

I'm banned from both of those forums.

I have never understood how the Atheist Forum is the only one that wont kick you out.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
29-07-2014, 02:25 PM
(29-07-2014 02:23 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I have never understood how the Atheist Forum is the only one that wont kick you out.

His real name's Token.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 6 users Like morondog's post
29-07-2014, 02:35 PM
Addai,
Welcome. Many of us here are former theists. We became atheists precisely because we loved our theism so much we decided to study it and saw all the cracks that had been plastered over.
Out of curiosity have you ever read the Doctrine of Addai?
Doc
[+] 4 users Like docskeptic's post
29-07-2014, 04:36 PM (This post was last modified: 29-07-2014 04:39 PM by Addai.)
(29-07-2014 02:35 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Addai,

Out of curiosity have you ever read the Doctrine of Addai?
Doc

Yes and impressed by you recognizing the name and citing the reference.Thumbsup

I have some background with the Assyrian Church of the East, and he is one of their big founding saints, and I spent a few years with a Church group that used an English copy of the "Liturgy of Addai and Mari". (I however am, American and not ethnic Assyrian or Chaldean Catholic like most in the know might suspect with an avatar name like that).