Hi...doing the intro thing.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2013, 01:36 AM
Hi...doing the intro thing.
Hello. My name is Robin & I am a 32 y/o mama from Texas (O-M-G, yes, that place). No, I am not a gun-totin', redneck, toothless, uncle-daddy loving, backwoods, uneducated, bible-toting moron (and I drive a car & have an indoor bathroom & my yard has grass in it, so no, it's not made of just sand--just to clear up any questions about that). Big Grin

I have lots of loves and likes and hobbies that I won't bore anyone to death with because I'm sure you've all heard them. My favorites of some of those are Epica, Therion, Nightwish, Within Temptation (symphonic metal/rock), Classical masters (Bach, Beethoven, Mozart), celtic/folk (Mediaeval Baebes); The Lord of the Rings, Wuthering Heights, Anne Rice, A Game of Ice and Fire...

I have three kids (two of them step children who live with my fiance and I). I was raised a Methodist but by an extremely open-minded mother (she's a democrat) but now (obviously) I have no religious beliefs. Through life's lessons and happenings and realizing how obsolete god becomes once you understand more about science and what REALLY goes on in the world, the logical self just could no longer allow belief in an imaginary man in the sky.

Anyway, that's it for now. It's 1:30 AM and 8 AM comes way too early for me. Goodnight. Thanks for reading & nice to meet you.

"Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tunes without the words...and never stops at all." --Emily Dickinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like MoonMama_80's post
10-02-2013, 01:49 AM
RE: Hi...doing the intro thing.
Hey MoonMamma - cool you decided to check this place out. We're an international crowd so there's always an interesting exchange going on. It's usually fairly relaxed but we do have our moments - with three kids, you probably know what I mean. Wink

Welcome to the forum. Smile

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
10-02-2013, 04:39 AM
Given that your mom's a democrat, I'm going to take a wild guess and say you're in Austin? I doubt any good country lovin' Texan would tolerate some tree huggin', commie lovin', global warming conspirator hippy Democrat anywhere else in the Great Nation of Texas.

I lived in Midland for two years, I know the feeling. Wink

Welcome aboard!

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
10-02-2013, 09:56 AM
Thanks! And yes, three kids means never a dull moment. Wink

And ACTUALLY, I'm from the gulf--Southeast Texas. Beaumont, to be exact (I've been through Hurricane Rita and Ike and I still live here!!). It's not far from Houston. My county is actually more democrat than conservative (fortunately, for my sake and sanity). I still think I should move (out of this state). For one, it's too hot and humid. The weather here is so bipolar we are wearing winter clothes one day and going swimming the next. I hate hot weather. And humidity. And mosquitoes.

Oh, and stupid people.

Sleepy

"Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tunes without the words...and never stops at all." --Emily Dickinson
10-02-2013, 11:14 AM
Welcome! Hot and humid sounds nice, yesterday in sharp winds of cold I had to push my car out of a snow drift for a freaking hour. I'd rather 'wear winter clothes one day and swim in a pool the next', ha ha!

I used to live in a more conservative heavily religious place and moved to a more open-minded and mixed views location and LOVE it now.

Nice to meet you here Smile
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
10-02-2013, 12:00 PM
This Pennsylvania Republican says HI and Welcome. Wink
I try to stay off the political threads because my views
tend not to be the norm of the average American Atheist. Tongue
It's just a matter of finding where you fit in. I'm good with that.

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes smidgen's post
10-02-2013, 12:20 PM
Thank you and thank you.

I have friends who are Pagan, Atheist, and Christian. It IS just a matter of where you fit in. There really is no "norm" in my book, just awkward stereotypes (and I think we all try to avoid those).

I'm an open minded person. I won't lie, being a Republican and at an Atheist forum is a bit odd and seems like a major contradiction, but hey, anything is possible!! Smile

10-02-2013, 12:45 PM
(10-02-2013 12:20 PM)MoonMama_80 Wrote:  Thank you and thank you.

I have friends who are Pagan, Atheist, and Christian. It IS just a matter of where you fit in. There really is no "norm" in my book, just awkward stereotypes (and I think we all try to avoid those).

I'm an open minded person. I won't lie, being a Republican and at an Atheist forum is a bit odd and seems like a major contradiction, but hey, anything is possible!! Smile
But, as you say, it is a stereotype. All of my Democrat friends are Christian.
And hard core Christians at that.
I am a political conservative and that has nothing to do with religion. (separation of church and state)
BUT, I vote for the person not the party. And I take each issue on an individual basis.
And many times it puts me more in the middle. Like that fact that I'm pro choice.
So I guess I just fall in different spots depending on the day and the issue. Laughat

[+] 1 user Likes smidgen's post
10-02-2013, 12:47 PM
(10-02-2013 12:45 PM)smidgen Wrote:  
(10-02-2013 12:20 PM)MoonMama_80 Wrote:  Thank you and thank you.

But, as you say, it is a stereotype. All of my Democrat friends are Christian.
I am a political conservative and that has nothing to do with religion. (separation of church and state)
BUT, I vote for the person not the party. And I take each issue on an individual basis.
And many times it puts me more in the middle. Like that fact that I'm pro choice.
So I guess I just fall in different spots depending on the day and the issue. Laughat

You shouldn't avoid the political debates. An atheist, pro-choice, pro-secular conservative would be refreshing and constructive. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-02-2013, 12:51 PM
(10-02-2013 12:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-02-2013 12:45 PM)smidgen Wrote:  But, as you say, it is a stereotype. All of my Democrat friends are Christian.

You shouldn't avoid the political debates. An atheist, pro-choice, pro-secular conservative would be refreshing and constructive. Yes
Yeah until you all pummel me and tell me how wrong I am. Tongue